United States
Emery County Search & Rescue
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 08m 47s
Overall Rank = 59/71
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

This race was a first for me in several ways. It was my first OWS in a race. It was the first time my daughter has been there to cheer me on. It was the first time I raced and my son raced on the same day. (It was his first OWS race too). It was also the first tri I have had to go and camp out the night before. We didn't arrive in Huntington until 9:30 pm the night before the race. We dropped our travel trailer at the "campground" in town, then made a quick run over to the campground at the race venue. Luckily, Jen was still awake, and so were the race directors. :) We ended up snagging a site at the campground that was left in the wake of a no show. We ran back and got the trailer, set up as quietly as we could, then went to bed. Around midnight. And I couldn't sleep for most of the night. :( Woke up in the morning at 4:45, went over and registered for the race (I know!). There were a lot of mosquitoes, including one that I tried to inhale *gag*. That made breakfast alot less appealing. 6 a.m. came awfully fast, and befoe I knew it, it was time to go line up for the start.
Event warmup:

Uh....deep breathing, standing in waist-deep water with a bunch of other ladies.
Swim
  • 20m 46s
  • 875 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Did a lot of side stroke. Between the cold water, being dizzy, and really needing new goggles that I can actually see through, I had to. The finish leg was directly into the sun, but by then my goggles were so, SO foggy and I was getting fatigued.
Transition 1
  • 04m 41s
Bike
  • 1h 06m 4s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Not bad for a 7.5 mile ride up a canyon. Felt pretty good, didn't feel the panicky-can't-breathe-must-stop-NOW feeling, but I am not a fan of my pace on the uphill. I didn't go above 30 on the way back down, either. :( Although it was a fun 7.5 miles back to the transition area. :) I feel like I did really well given the training I had under my belt.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get out an spend more time on my bike. Especially going uphill.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Run
  • 34m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I could hear the music from the loudspeakers all the way around the lake. That was nice, it really kept me going. I never realised how long the song "Funkytown" actually is. This run course actually felt like it was never going to end. I actually stood at the first 2 aid stations while I drank some water. During the third aid station, I walked, but didn't stop, or drink. I took one other short walk break (like 10 seconds). I LOVE having my garmin. It really helps me on the run. I tend to run all out when I am racing, then not be able to run at all by the end, so having it keeps me paced a bit. I would have liked my pace to be a little faster, but that's a whole other issue.
What would you do differently?:

Train better before the race...work on my speed. I will never get out of the back of the pack if i don't increase my bike speed and my run speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a gatorade and some green grapes. Went back and and found my daughter and Jen's daughter near the finish line, cheered Heather and Jen in, then went back to the trailers to find the rest of the families.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Pure and simple.

Event comments:

I will be back next year, I think. It was a nice venue, with the only complaint being all the mosquitoes (even 100% DEET didn't keep them away much).

Last updated: 2010-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:46 | 875 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 27/71
Performance: Average
Suit: full sleeve zoot
Course: Triangle swim, counterclockwie, with a jetski and a rescue boat on each leg of the triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:04 | 15 miles | 13.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 54/71
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:34:57 | 03.11 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 65/71
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-11 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Utah
Subject: San Rafael Classic

2010-08-11 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3038262

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: San Rafael Classic
Congrats on a successful OWS and overall race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Rafael Classic Rss Feed