Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » New Triathlete in Calgary needs help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-12 5:17 PM

New user

Subject: New Triathlete in Calgary needs help!
I am a very green triathlete in South Calgary (MacKenzie Towne) and need people to train with! I work evenings, so hope to train during days or weekend mornings, and hopefully in the area. I am slow because I'm new, and I'm working towards an OD (just did 2 sprints this year)

Let me know if you or anyone you know might be interested in a few runs or bikes together (I would even like to meet at the YMCA in Shawnessy for a swim, or head for coffee.... just looking to get more involved in the sport)

2010-08-13 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3040843

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: New Triathlete in Calgary needs help!

Just responding to welcome you to BT and to let you know that someone has seen your post.  I myself live up in Citadel so a tad too far to meet up for regular training.  Wish you the best with all of your training.  Which Olympic distance races are you considering entering?

2010-08-13 5:33 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Welcome to the sport. I know getting started can be tough when you got no one to ask questions to. Frankly this forum is great for getting information and feeling part of a community.

If you do want to meet some real people though, I know the running room in Shawnessy has group runs in the evenings and on weekends. There are also a number of cycling clubs in Calgary and I think 2 triathlon clubs but I think they are in the north.

Also, you could look at volunteering at triathlons, might be a good way to meet people.
2010-08-13 6:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Candace - the Strathmore Womens Triathlon this weekend still possibly needs volunteers if you are interested.  It might be a good way to meet more people like yourself and give you a chance to watch a triathlon after participating in a couple.

I live in NW Calgary so it might be tough to meet up, but you'll find lots of virtual training partners here on BT ... 

2010-08-17 10:01 PM

New user

Calgary, AB
Hey Rusling, I'm in Canyon Meadows, new to tri as well (did 2 sprints this year, undecided on my calendar for 2011).  I'm pretty slow, especially in the pool.  I like to get my workouts in during the early morning (I sometimes do spin classes at Good Life Canyon Meadows at 6am). 

I'm female, 38 years, mother of 2.  Let me know if you want to try to coordinate at least a few workouts through the winter season.  

I'm doing a lot of running over the next 6 weeks to get ready for Half Harvest on October 2nd so I may not bike or swim as much until into October, but still the odd biking and swimming workout. 
2010-08-19 4:16 PM

New user

Thanks for the responses everyone, this is great! I'm done training for the summer (old injury that popped up), but am so excited to keep connections and get into the community.

Thanks again

2010-08-22 11:53 AM

New user

I haven't taken part in any events yet, just started running/biking as much as possible in hopes that if I work hard enough I can be ready for 2011. So I have no expertise in the area but am in Millrise and am always trying to coax friends ect to ride or run with me.
2010-09-01 5:48 PM

I'm also very "green" to the sport, and I live in Mckenzie Towne as well.  Feel free to contact me if you're looking for a cycling buddy!
2010-09-01 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3057260

Hi,
I'm in Mckenzie Towne if you're looking for someone to cycle with!  I'm just starting out as well.
2010-09-09 9:47 PM

I'm new to this area having just moved to Calgary in May.
I live in the SW area...off HWY 8...(Thats just past where Glenmore comes to an end and becomes HWY 8).
Always looking to ride/run with anyone out there. I am not working so lucky to have a very flexibe schedule.
Joined Talisman on Wed to swim.....looking goos so far.
Let me know...
Gwen (female IronMan wanna be....)
2010-12-10 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm in the south to.  I'm starting up with training in January for the Oliver halfiron.  I work days though so it maybe difficult.....good luck on your training!!!  It is the greatest time ever!!!

2011-01-25 3:09 PM

I too am a "very green" triathlete in South Calgary. Not sure if you have had any luck with finding individuals to train with, but I too am heading to the pool at the YMCA. I am hoping once the weather is better to do swims (thanks to friends) in Sundance and Mahogany...

There is a great brick class I attend (no registration necessary) at the tri-it store on Sunday mornings at 8:15 if interested...

Let me know if you till need individuals to train with .. I am off a bit during the week but I have two little boys so that puts a wrench in my plans sometimes .. 

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » New Triathlete in Calgary needs help! Rss Feed