General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cypress, Texas
United States
ON UR Mark
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 33s
Overall Rank = 300/1000
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up a 4:00am out of the house by 4:20. Drank coffee and ate dry granola on the way to the race site. Set up transition as usual. Said hey to Trin2Bfast (Justin W.) at site but mosly sought out quiet time to myself to try to focus on the task at hand.
Event warmup:

I went for a short swim to take the edge of pre-race nerves. Upon entering the water I immediately notice two things. One, the water temps are high. The water is extremely warm, like bathwater or kiddy pool with a ton of toddlers in it on a hot summer day- yuck. Two, the water is very murky and brackish – double yuck. I could not see past my elbow while swimming. About 100 yds out I took a kick to the jaw from a person doing breast stroke. I don’t think the guy even noticed. The kick really rung my bell and I saw stars and started to feel bit light headed. Panic set in slightly, my heart rate jumped and my breath shortened. On my swim back in I could not get my breathing tempo to sync and I was having a hard time keeping it together. I had to side stroke it to shore. Once on shore I tried to keep get it together and rested for about 5 minutes. Then decided to try it again. This time in, I’m still unable to lengthen my stroke and my breathing is labored and short from the start. I only get to the 2nd buoy and decide to turn back. I’m not feeling very confident at this point and the first time in a very long while I doubt my ability to complete even this short swim. My mind was racing and all sorts of negative thoughts were raising their ugly heads. As the waves line up, I’m still contemplating not starting. I was actually pondering if the transition area was reopened so I could get to my phone to call the wife and kids to let the know not to bother coming to see me or to head for the car if they were already on site since I’m freaking out and will not participate in today’s race. Just before our wave is called to wade into the water I bump into Justin P. who’s also racing in my A.G. I tell him I’m thinking of ditching because I’m not feeling it, my mind is not on task, and my heart rate will not come down. He gives me this puzzled look and simply asks “why?” and says to me “your already here, just hang in the back and take it easy. Everyone’s heartrate will spike when the race starts so just thing you ahead of the game.” With this I say thanks and make my way down into the warm murky water and try to get quiet my mind and get my heart rate back down.
Swim
  • 11m 50s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started near the back and off to the left because of warm up fiasco. The first couple hundred yards, even in the back were still pretty physical. My shoulder was grabbed and I was pushed under once. My ankle grabbed and pulled as well; I am sure it was not on purpose but as a result of everyone trying to make their way through the chocolate soup we were swimming in. I took in several mouthfuls of the swamp water. I concentrated on my breathing, body rotation and repeated in my mind “reach, twist, glide, breathe”. By mid-point I was feeling OK but I decided to keep things nice and easy just in case panic set in again. Upon exiting I heard someone call “Dad!” and looked up to see my two awesome kids and Hot wife.
What would you do differently?:

Not drink so much damn coffee. I really thing that it contributed to the pre-race nerves. I am pretty sure if I had just drank water or juice the adrenalin dump that occurs on race day at the start is sufficient to keep me going.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

T1 time is estimated as time is combined with bike segment. Timing euipmet malfuction perhaps? Still slow in my transitions. Could not find bike right away. You would have thought I would have learned from the last race to walk the transition area from the swim out to the rack. Failed to do that again...

hurry up.
Bike
  • 38m
  • 14 miles
  • 22.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike. I could have pushed a bit harder but not by much. I know I am not a good runner so I had to chip away as much time on the bike but still keep some gas in the tank for the run. I was a bit burpy after drinking my water while riding.

Be a bit more agressive and push a tad bit harder
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

went ok. uneventful

hurry up
Run
  • 34m 24s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run for me. I'm historically a 10:30 - 10:40 / mile runner. I was please with my run on this day. I probably could have gone a tad faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw hot wife and kids at the finish line. Drank lots of water stretched a bit

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor swim - hot water, too much pre race coffee, nerves.

Event comments:

I owe my completed swim and the decision to not quit to Houstonrider. Thanks a million! If it were not for his brief pep talk prior to starting here would be a big fat DNS by my name. Despite a slow swim I had a decent race. I had a goal of 1:35:30 to meet and I beat it by about 6 minutes. No more 16 oz pre-race coffee for me. I'll reduce or completely cut the amount of caffeine I consume before a race especially ones with warm water.

Last updated: 2009-12-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:50 | 437 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 49/
Overall: 0/1000
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: dog legged point to point
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 900F / 482C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:00 | 14 miles | 22.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Flat, out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:24 | 03.5 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 74/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back loop through open area concrete walkway and through crushed granite jogging trail through the trees.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-12 11:57 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Bridgeland Triathlon Rss Feed