General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Memorial Herman Town Lake Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-09-09 5:08 AM
in reply to: #3084323

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Memorial Herman Town Lake Olympic
Be careful because they have TONS of motion sensors out there. If you're not approved and nothing is going on you'll find yourself in the back of a squad car. Do they have triathlons in prison? Good luck Undecided

2010-09-09 5:10 AM
in reply to: #3044103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Currently we're at 939. About 100 or so spots left to the public. HURRY. We should sell out no later than Monday. The support has been amazing and we're ready to deliver. We are so excited to bring you this race!
2010-09-09 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3088557

User image

Pro
Houston
onurleft - 2010-09-09 5:08 AM Be careful because they have TONS of motion sensors out there. If you're not approved and nothing is going on you'll find yourself in the back of a squad car. Do they have triathlons in prison? Good luck Undecided

LOL - I had no plans to B&E.  With the kids there are always activities out there.  Homecoming is soon and I could probabyly get in during the day before the game.  I've never tresspassed in Texas but I'm pretty sure it doesn't = prison.  And they'd have to catch me - LOL!!!
2010-09-10 2:04 AM
in reply to: #3065038

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
onurleft - 2010-08-26 10:01 AM 1/4 mile. Plenty of time to get your legs under you. Gateway had the same. We should have carpet to at least the road if not all the way to transition. We didn't have a choice. The grounds around the lake can't support a transition setup this year and the college is perfect. Look at it this way, you walk less from your car in the morning. Laughing 

That will be great after that brutal walk at Bridgeland. Part of that is my fault as I was hauling my team tent, bike, gear bag, camp chair and a small cooler. My 11 year old son was trying to help.
2010-09-10 2:14 AM
in reply to: #3079979

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
onurleft - 2010-09-03 4:54 AM Fixed! Thanks for that, as OCD as I am I didn't catch that. Nice to know our participants have our back! 

We're 93% with well over 800. Should fill within a week at most, maybe just days. If you haven't registered or know anyone that is waiting tell them not to it's almost full.

Thanks everyone! 

I use my event tees for training runs since most races are giving pretty decent tech shirts. Is it possible to use a reflective ink/paint in the printing of the design and sponsor names?
2010-09-10 7:23 AM

User image

Tyler,
I like OnUrMark event t shirts. I usually  just wear the tech shirts just for running or casual cycling, a little too geeky to wear out in a public outing. OnUrMark shirts are "cool" to wear in public outings.

2010-09-10 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3090695

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
It's not really possible (this year) to do anything reflective as it adds about $2 to each side of the shirt to print. I know because we did glow-in-the-dark printing on our Monster Mash 5k/10k event shirts last year and it's priced the same. It was REALLY cool but expensive. Maybe eventually we can explore that but it's a bit down the road. This year for Houston we'll have 50/50 cotton blend shirts with full color on the front. We're really going all out on the race itself and Memorial Hermann has picked up the tab on the shirts this year to help us focus funds on race safety, comfort, direction, signage, and other decorations. That said, this is a cotton shirt you're going to want to wear, the design is our best yet!

Edited by onurleft 2010-09-10 7:49 AM
2010-09-10 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3090895

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)

onurleft - 2010-09-10 7:48 AM It's not really possible (this year) to do anything reflective as it adds about $2 to each side of the shirt to print. I know because we did glow-in-the-dark printing on our Monster Mash 5k/10k event shirts last year and it's priced the same. It was REALLY cool but expensive. Maybe eventually we can explore that but it's a bit down the road. This year for Houston we'll have 50/50 cotton blend shirts with full color on the front. We're really going all out on the race itself and Memorial Hermann has picked up the tab on the shirts this year to help us focus funds on race safety, comfort, direction, signage, and other decorations. That said, this is a cotton shirt you're going to want to wear, the design is our best yet!

I have worn all of my race shirts for various things. I thought is was great that we got to vote on the shirt color for Bridgeland (my favorite won, by the way). Thanks for the info regarding reflective printing. I've only been at this 1 year now and hadn't seen it and thought it would be cool. I can understand the extra cost making it prohibitive. I appreciate the focus you guys have had on the race-specific stuff. I've done the first 2 of the TX3 Tri Series and will be racing the Houston Tri and those first 2 were SUPER. I'm looking forward to more of the same there in a couple of weeks. And when you consider that Gateway was a brand new race, that makes it all the more impressive how smoothly things went.

2010-09-15 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks for the compliments!

Your digital race packets/guides are now available for download. www.HoustonTri.com. We still have 6 days left to register and 82 spots. If you know anyone waiting until last minute let them know, we don't want anyone to miss out.

There will NOT be any pre race clinic/practice for this event onsite at Towne Lake. They will be working on the entrance/exit for the swim this and next week. Next year pre race clinics are a possibility. We were going to have a beginner-advanced 2.5 hour triathlon clinic this Saturday at Bicycle World but because of lack of interest it's going to be canceled.

Thanks for your support.
Aaron

2010-09-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3099782

New user
Spring, Texas
Really looking forward to this event. My wife and two young kids will be coming to cheer us all on. where do you suppose would be the best place to be to watch all the ocming and going? Based ont he race maps the spot just to the south of the swim staging area would be good to watch both laps of the swim, heading into T2, bike out, bike in, and run out and run in. Is that area going to be open for spectators?
2010-09-15 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3100777

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Yeah that is the area for spectators and then also post race area and the areas around the parking lots. We will have 2 designated areas where we will have huge tear drop flags that say crosswalk. Volunteers will direct spectators to cross the course (gating) in these areas only.

Hope that helps. We are so excited for this! 

2010-09-15 4:49 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Really hoping my achilles settles down in the next 11 days or so.
2010-09-16 5:17 AM
in reply to: #3100874

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
10 days now....tick tock tick tock...
2010-09-16 5:05 PM

New user
I notice that there is a sizable discount for students for this event which is awesome....however it's only available to students under 21 yo?  What about a 29 yo student in graduate school like myself?  I have to pinch pennies like nobodies business so if the discount was available to us old farts still in academia that would be wonderful too.
2010-09-16 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3103031

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, as much as we'd love to give everyone discounts, we have to draw the line somewhere. Not that all students don't deserve one, and not that we don't commend you for going back to school (because we absolutely do) but the events we put on are very expensive and we take a huge hit just to give the discounts we do to those that we do. This being a first year event it's especially tough. I'm sorry again but we have to stay on budget which is hard enough to do with the amount we put into making our events top notch. We may remove that age guideline down the road but for now we have to stick with it. I will present your valid point to the others that are also in charge of setting guidelines like that for our events. Hopefully you still register for our events regardless as I know you will enjoy yourself. See you out there.

Thanks,
Aaron 
2010-09-16 6:21 PM
in reply to: #3103068

New user
onurleft - 2010-09-16 5:17 PM Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, as much as we'd love to give everyone discounts, we have to draw the line somewhere. Not that all students don't deserve one, and not that we don't commend you for going back to school (because we absolutely do) but the events we put on are very expensive and we take a huge hit just to give the discounts we do to those that we do. This being a first year event it's especially tough. I'm sorry again but we have to stay on budget which is hard enough to do with the amount we put into making our events top notch. We may remove that age guideline down the road but for now we have to stick with it. I will present your valid point to the others that are also in charge of setting guidelines like that for our events. Hopefully you still register for our events regardless as I know you will enjoy yourself. See you out there.

Thanks,
Aaron 

Go back to school?  High School -> Undergraduate -> Masters ->PhD......I never left mate Tongue out 

Seriously though there's absolutely no need to apologise, the position you currently have is reasonable. I can't hold anyone accountable for the horrendous economic decision of going to Graduate School but myself.
The fact that you have the discount in the first place is a great way to help young students, who are oft associated with limited income, get into the sport.  I'm quite sure this event would of filled up regardless of whether you had the discount available or not so it is a very commendable practice.

For purely feedback purposes, one of the biggest deciding factors as to whether I'll do a race, for me as a student, is the entry fee.  Also I imagine there are a lot more students older then 21 interested in triathlons then there are under 21 (I could be wrong on that though).  So if the student market is something you wanted to target then indeed lifting the age restriction would make sense (and benefit me directly Laughing)

Again though I fully understand and appreciate your need to make this a profitable event.  Discount or not this event sounds very enjoyable indeed.  The fact that you care enough to take onboard comments and reply very much appreciated.

I just hope now that it doesn't fill up before tomorrow.

2010-09-16 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3103068

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Hmmm...I LOVE your events, but I'm kind of confused on the "age limit" for students? NO WHERE I have ever seen that gives student discounts then asks for an age!

I am a non-traditional student, I am an undergrad - I take classes at Lonestar Cy-Fair actually (race is actually going to be on the property there, right?) But, yeah, I'm 33. But my student ID from the school doesn't say "STUDENT (but she's 33 so she really doesn't count as a student)" - it just says "STUDENT"

I understand the cost of the races and all - but I guess I don't understand...it would be like giving a senior discount, but only to grey haired seniors or only bald seniors. Or maybe a discount for ladies, but only if they have blue eyes. Either give a student discount or don't - don't discriminate based on age.
2010-09-16 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3103479

User image

Champion
marietta
mademille - 2010-09-16 10:12 PM Hmmm...I LOVE your events, but I'm kind of confused on the "age limit" for students?
NO WHERE (-5. nowhere I have (-5. have I, not I have) ever seen that (-5. that, what?) gives student discounts then asks for an age!

I am a non-traditional student, I am an undergrad - I (-5  -) take classes at Lonestar (-10. two words, just like the race in galveston lone star.  sing-a-long now)Cy-Fair actually (race is actually going to be on the property there, right?) (actually, it is.  not sure what yout point is.  -75) But, yeah, I'm 33. (-5. written like a 5 year old) But my student ID from the school doesn't say "STUDENT (but she's 33 so she really doesn't count as a student)" - it just says "STUDENT" (-5 "STUDENT".  no period)

I understand the cost of the races and all - but I guess I don't understand (-17.5. i do understand how i could come up with -17.5.  but i guess i don't.  so -25 not -17.5)...it would be like giving a senior discount, but only to grey haired seniors or only bald seniors. Or maybe a discount for ladies, but only if they have blue eyes.  (+10 for blue eyes!) Either give a student discount or don't - don't discriminate based on age. (pathetic) 

i don't feel like adding the score up. but clearly,  you have failed.  no doubt.  good luck in your endeavors.

update.. i changed the link to the muppets singing deep in the heart of texas... awesome!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2010-09-16 10:24 PM
2010-09-17 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3103479

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Really Mademille? "it would be like giving a senior discount, but only to grey haired seniors or only bald seniors"

Senior discounts ARE age restricted too...

We give discounts and restrict to age because they are KIDS! We're trying to help KIDS and parents that are putting their KIDS through college and we're one of the only races that does even that. If you love our races that means you know the work we put into and that every penny you spend goes to giving you the best race possible. That being said next year we will extend student discounts to ALL races but it will be less than what it currently is that way we can do it for ALL races. Requirements will no longer be age but that you're a full time student and you will be required to show transcripts or a schedule showing your credit hours. That way there's no more age complaints from adults looking to take advantage of teen/young adult discounts. If there are adults that are looking to take advantage of this discount we will know they are truly in need of the help since they'll be in school full time. Hopefully this is a fair solution and everyone's happy. All active military, law enforcement, and teachers will receive a discount to our races in 2011 as well. Spread the word.

Aaron

2010-09-17 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3104604

New user
Oh dear, apologies for opening up that can of worms regarding the discount.  I certainly did not want to seem as if I was complaining, purely curious.  

Anyway it seems that a friend and I will be signing up and look forward to participating.  This will be my second Tri and am very much determined to beat my previous time. 
2010-09-18 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)

Discounts for students are great. I paid my own way to college through a couple of small scholarships and waiting tables, so I know how short on money a student can be. But what about other segments of society at an economic disadvantage? Lots of people have lost their jobs due to the poor economy. There are tons of divorcees paying child support that leaves them on the brink of poverty. Still others have simply handled their finances badly and are up to their eyeballs in debt. The list is long. How about a discount for them all?

We should all be thankful that we have the health and ability to participate in this fun sport and not complain because someone got a little discount and we didn't. I took advantage of many things that offered student discounts when I was one. Now that I no longer qualify for those, I look for ways to save money elsewhere. Just a thought.

2010-09-20 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3105852

New user
Spring, Texas
2010-09-22 8:51 AM

It looks like the rain chances keep going up as we are getting closer to Sunday.  Will the race still go on if it is raining in the morning?
2010-09-22 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3111557

User image

Pro
Houston
JLew - 2010-09-22 8:51 AM It looks like the rain chances keep going up as we are getting closer to Sunday.  Will the race still go on if it is raining in the morning?

Generally they go on as long as there is no lightening but I am sure Aaron will make that decision at race time.  I believe the website says something about possible 30 minute wait to see if weather clears.

Cry Unfortunately, I am out with an injury Cry
Signed up for this race like 9 months ago and won't be able to do it.
2010-09-22 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3090895

In response to the comment about reflective ink on the shirts....I have worn my Monster Mash Shirt to sleep in on several occasions and each time I wake up wondering, " where is that light  coming from...?" From my awesome glow in the dark Monster Mash shirt!!!! Just thought I'd share! 

Looking forward to this weekend....nervous about the swim seeing as this will be my first oly, but I'm confident I'll finish it one way or another!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Memorial Herman Town Lake Olympic Rss Feed  

of 6