General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finished my first tri - Oly Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-16 2:14 PM

Folsom, CA
Subject: Finished my first tri - Oly
First, thanks to Beginner Triathlete and all of you who take the time to ask questions and give advice.  I do all my training by myself and it really helps to have a forum of people from Beginner to Expert to glean advice from.

Ended up doing an Oly for my first triathlon after I got the flu just before I was to do a sprint earlier in the summer.  Just kept training and it worked out pretty well.  Finished lower MOP: OA 247/476, 35-39AG 35/57.

The swim is my weakest and it didn't help that my 3rd breath was water instead of air.  Had a little coughing/panic attack and had to tread water for a minute but around the .25 mile mark I got into a rythm and was fine.

The bike was large rolling hills.  I'm on a road bike without aero bars so I climbed reasonably well but the couple guys I kept passing on the climbs always shot by me on the downhill.  Not sure if this is an aero issue or not getting into a big gear fast enough and pouring it on at the crest of the hill.  I assume it wasn't their greater strength because I wouldn't have been able to out climb them.

The bricks I did definitely helped on the transition to running.  Pasted a few people struggling to get their running legs going.  My quads started to feel tight (I assumed it was lack of electrolytes starting to take hold) around mile 2 so I grabbed a quick drink of gatorade (or whatever it was) at mile 3 and 4. Tried to grab another at mile 5 but I didn't realize the cup I was handed was full nearly to the rim.  Tried to take a drink as I ran by and nearly drown on the run via gatorade up the nose and all over my face.  My quads never really felt better but didn't get any worse.

The day felt good overall.  Feeling no pain for a couple hours after the race.  I assume this was adrenaline or euphoria.  Got home sat down and couldn't get off the sofa to take a shower for the next two hours.

Race Nutrition:
Oatmeal about 1.5 hrs before race.
Clif gel w/ caffeine 15 min before swim
Clif gel w/ caffeine in T2
12 oz Accelerade on the bike.  Probably should have finished all 22oz I had with me.
A couple gulps of Gatorade on the run.

------- swim -------

T1

------- Bike -------

T2

------- Run -------

Total

Place

Name

Bib No

Rnk

Time

Time

Rnk

Time

Time

Rnk

Time

Time

Adam R

M

36:16.4

2:32.2

1:15:54.3

1:50.6

48:36.3

2:45:09.8

Adam

2010-08-16 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3046485

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Finished my first tri - Oly
That looks like a pretty good day to me, regardless of it being your first time.  Congrats.
btw:  you know what they call people who finish in 2:45?   TRIATHLETES!
2010-08-16 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3046485

User image

NC
Subject: RE: Finished my first tri - Oly
Congrats on your first Oly tri!!  You rocked it with 2:45 - way to go!  Have you signed up for your next one yet?!

A friend of mine that has a done a couple of IMs (and plenty of other distances) shared with me her hydration plan to increase electrolytes.  The day before the race, she drinks a lot of water and in each glass includes Nuun tablets.  I tried this before my last race and never felt the cramping set in.  She also suggested drinking a gatorade or more Nuun water before the race.  Just a thought.

I've got some sprints under my belt (this is the first season I've done tris) and this Sunday is my first Oly tri.  The good news is that it's in CT so hopefully a lot less hot and humid than NC. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finished my first tri - Oly Rss Feed