HFP Racing
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 15s
Overall Rank = 95/342
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/22
Pre-race routine:

This was my 4th sprint triathlon. And I did this race last year so I had a goal to beat my previous time. We drove to Ohio on Friday (race was on Sunday) and stayed at my in-laws house. On Saturday we drove up to their "beach cottage" which is only about 2 miles from the race start. Now I use the term "beach cottage" because it is more like a sauna inside (no A/C). But I am still grateful because it was nice and close to the race and I could bike and and sleep in more than if I had to drive from my parents' house an hour away.
The community hosts a free spaghetti dinner for participants on Sat night and guests can come for a fee (with proceeds going to charity) so I went with my wife and inlaws.
Event warmup:

The race start was at 8am and the transition area closed at 7:30. I woke up at 5:30 and showered, grabbed my backpack, and biked over to set up. I wanted to get there early to set up to get a good spot at the end of the rack and because my parents were meeting us there before the race start. And yes, I like to shower before racing. It may be weird but I like it ok? :)
I ate a kid's Clif bar and a banana and took a shot block. I spent some time squeezing into my wetsuit while my family and in-laws watched. Nothing makes you want to lose weight more than having 6 people sitting around on a blanket watching you squeeze yourself into sausage casing all while transforming into "Captain Neoprene."
I went for a 5 minute swim before the first wave went off. I was in wave 2 this year which means I am starting to get older ;)

Swim
  • 16m 48s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really good in the warm up and decent on the swim. I was disappointed that my swim time was basically the same as last year.

Our time did not start until we crossed the mat so I stayed near the back and immediately went to the outside. It might be slightly longer to swim outside but I was not kicked nearly as much which probably helped me swim faster or so I thought. I did feel better breathing this time and I freestyled the entire way unlike last year where I mixed in some breast stroke.

Swim time also included the run across the beach and up a small sand dune and through grass to the transition area. It was probably about a 250m run.

Everyone had the same color of swim cap so I have no idea if waves caught me or if I passed any other waves.
What would you do differently?:

Just keep practicing to become faster and to build endurance. I felt more comfortable overall this year but it didn't show in the time. I was happy with my choice to start on the outside and stay back as I knew I was not near the top 1/3 of swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

This was about 30 sec faster than last year. It would have been a bit faster if I wasn't winded from the swim still. I also quickly wiped the sand/dirt/water off of my feet since I missed the water buckets on the way into transition because the girl in front of me decided to relive her childhood. She must have missed out on jumping in puddles as a child because she bounced around in there for about 30 sec.

Better endurance on the swim would mean that I could run faster through transition.

I bought a tri top this year and it saved me a lot of time since I didn't have to put on a shirt in transition.

Learn to leaves shoes on bike and put them on while riding.
Bike
  • 33m 16s
  • 11.43 miles
  • 20.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I still don't drink on the bike. GRRRRRR. I didn't drink at all on the first half and had a few sips on the 2nd half. This will come to haunt me later on the run.
Even with the bike course mileage adjustment I averaged over 20mph which is my first time ever for this distance of course! I am really pleased. I knocked about 8 minutes off of my bike from last year!!

It frustated me when I saw men flying by on their return trip when I was only around mile 4. This made me push it harder and my 2nd half split was much faster than my first half.

Drink more!
Spend more time biking and do hill drills.
Pull up my jaw when watching someone fly by at 27+ mph.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I put my bike on the wrong rack (one after mine). The guy next to me had a bright yellow bike so I saw it and put my bike on the rack. And then thought "WTF! Who took my shoes? And my towel? And my wetsuit? And my goggles? Really come on now!!" Oh I am at the wrong rack and so is "Mr. Yellow Bike." After that realization things went pretty smoothly.
I took a few seconds putting on socks though.

I remembered there was a tree in my row. Yet I still racked at the wrong place. That's never happened to me before, not even in Chicago with 7000+ bikes.
Run
  • 25m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't drink enough on the bike which hurt me in the beginning. But HFP (race company) and Vermilion volunteers are great in that there are 3 water stations in each direction on the course!
I got really, really hot after mile 1. It felt like I was starting to melt. And just then my savior arrived in the form on an elderly Vermilion resident sitting on his front lawn with a beer and a water hose and he was spraying down the runners. YEAH! Well actually I thought he was passing out beers but I suppose I'll take the splash of water instead.
There was a few people with water hoses. At the last water station (with about .5 mile to do) I was still hot so dumped the water on my head instead of drinking it. With about .25 miles to go, a kid with a water hose was attacking race participants by blasting male runners in the crotch and females in the chest. Who doesn't love 7th graders??

Drink more on the bike and HTFU! I also was cramping in my IT band and along the outside of my thigh. I am not sure if it was because of the bike, poor stretching, or lack of water or a combo of all of them. I meant to take a shot block while on the run but forgot them in transition. My wife actually thought of it but couldn't catch up to me when I started my run. Oh well. I appreciate her thoughtfulness all the same.

I felt a complete mental letdown approaching with about a mile to go. I was wearing my TeamFox rubber wristband so I looked down at that and thought of my dad and turned it on in the last mile. It actually prevented me from taking a walking break! :)
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and then met up with my family and inlaws.
HFP does a nice spread of food afterwards (sandwiches, pretzels, cookies, pop, water, freshly cut watermelon, bananas, apples, etc) but I had a family picnic awaiting so I mostly passed.
My inlaws brought a picnic so we ate and relaxed and watched some of the Olympic racers. My dad and I went over to check out the unofficial race results and I was pleased with my time and everyone was excited about how well I did. Sometimes I am too hard on myself. It took awhile for me to be happy that I knocked so much time off from 2009 (9.5 minutes faster this year than I was in 2009 at same race)!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I could have put more into this race physically and mentally. Although right now I would still have to cut 9 more minutes off to get an age group reward. As of right now I am not sure how do to do that but it will come with time I suppose. It just would have been a lot of fun to do it with so much of my family there.
It was really, really hot and humid. Sleeping in that heat the night before took a toll on my body I think. I have been used to training for awhile in Chicago's heat but not sleeping in it.

Event comments:

I love this race. Of my races so far this is probably the most organized and well-run. There are so many volunteers helping out everywhere...it's amazing! It's a great course overall and it's nice to lay around in the park and on the beach afterwards.

My family did a much better job of finding me along the race course so it was nice and they helped motivate me to keep going along the way. I saw them after the swim on my way to transition, in transition, as I started biking, coming back from biking, transition again, and at the finish. I did ask my wife why she didn't make it to the bike turn around 6 miles out. She mentioned she was pregnant ;)
So once I get more pictures downloaded I will share them all with you.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:48 | 820 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/22
Overall: 190/342
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Zoot
Course: Single loop rectangle in Lake Erie with the longest sides of the rectangle running parallel to the shore. On the return, the water was pretty shallow and you could stand and sometimes my fingers scraped the sand in the bottom.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:16 | 11.43 miles | 20.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/22
Overall: 57/342
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course was on country roads surrounding downtown Vermilion. The first two miles were pretty bumpy and included quite a few 90 degree turns and a railroad track crossing. It was out and back with a few minor hills. The course was supposed to be 12.43 but my bike computer and others said it was 11.43 so I adjusted.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:23 | 03.11 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/22
Overall: 113/342
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back through the neighborhood (some shade) and out on the main street towards downtown (sun).
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-17 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Vermilion Harbour Tri & Du

2010-08-17 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3047956

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Vermilion Harbour Tri & Du
Good race! 
Sounds like a really organized race, too. 
Your? bike and run times are amazing to me...I aspire to be that fast some day? ?=)?  ??
2010-08-17 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Dude! Great Race, 9:00 minutes off of last year's race - that is huge and should make you feel great. As for shaving another 9:00 minutes off to place in you AG, that's only because you are in the big leagues, I'm living it up now before I hit that AG - It will kill me - no more hardware for me starting next year. I'm totally with ya on the "didn't/don't drink enough on the bike" I didn't take one sip while on the bike and paid for it on the run as well and yes thank goodness for the beer pounding hose sprayer that totally saved me. Sounds like you all were able to enjoy the day. Great job and hope to see you there again next year. Congrats on a great race.

2010-08-17 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I WUV U CAPTAIN NEOPRENE!  Hahahahaha.  

And, uh, whoa, you can drink on the bike???  Who knew?

Nice job my friend!

2010-08-20 12:07 PM

User image

Melon Presser
I almost always shower before races. Who doesn't?

Were you hopping around like a kangaroo and howling like a wolf getting into the suit? That'd be funny. I see it now.

Drinking on the bike ... it's an art. Camelbak? Practice? Bottles on sides of helmet like at football games? Dude, 20mph is wicked wicked wicked fast.

Transition snafu--hahaha--oh, not funny. How 'bout a bright pink towel? Mickey Mouse balloon?

It is really hard to run in heat--good on ya for keepin' on blasting through it.

I think you did phenomenally even though you felt like you could have put more into it ... sometimes it's not worth redlining for passing out after the race and not being able to enjoy picnicking with your loved ones. Or sleeping through the award you won for going so fast.
2010-08-23 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Good job, Ryan!  Or should I say, Captain Neoprene...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vermilion Harbour Tri & Du Rss Feed