Max Performance
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 52s
Overall Rank = 167/503
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 6/56
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30am, cup of coffee, and long, hot shower. Spent time thinking about race and waking up. Had my bowl of cereal. At a bagel and sipped water and sports drink on the one hour drive to event. Checked in, got numbered, set up transition and started a little warm up activity.
Event warmup:

For me personally its too much to try to warmup on bike, run, swim all prior to an event. The bike portion is my strong discipline so i just made sure the bike tires are properly aired up. I usually throw the bike on the indoor trainer the night before for 5 to 10 minutes and check the shifting to make sure there are no surprises for the race. I spent a little time light jogging mixed with alot of stretching. Did this for 20 to 25 minutes and then relaxed a little. About 15 to 20 minutes before start competitor waves, I put on the wetsuit and swam for a few minutes to warm-up and get my body and mind into the groove. On this day, I discovered that the plastice snapped on my goggles and wouldn't hold the straps tight enough. Luckily I had another pair of spare goggles. Had to wait around for my wave to start along with a short race meeting. Felt good and ready.
Swim
  • 17m 32s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

After learning the hard way that a begginners wave start in the swim can be anything but calm, I always now try to start at the front. Better to be drafted off of and/or passed, than to deal with the kicking, and swimming into another person. Harder to advance this way. I trained to start a fast sprint right off the swim to get a little ahead of the pack and then fall into a solid rythem. Works well for me personally. I know what level to bring my pace,heartrate and breathing to, before settling into a comfortable pace.
What would you do differently?:

Wish I would have sited more often. I stayed a bit to the outside. I wish after the initial start I would have hugged the buoys more directly. Next time. Started off fast and then settled into a comfortable pace...wish I would have pushed myself and my pace a little to see what happened. Need to work on this during swim training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Out of water, goggles, cap off, started unzipping wetsuit right out of water.I still don't run barefoot without socks. I spend the extra few seconds to splash water over feet and slip on socks. A little trick, prior to the race, put on socks and then roll them down so all you have to do is insert first 2 inches of foot/toes and then simply roll up foot. I still put on shoes and then run to bike mount area with shoes on. Mount and go. Sunglasses on, helmet on, race belt number clipped on.

Eventually start bike portion with shoes clipped in. I figured for now the time i spend on the bike doing this, I can do it just a quickly at t1. Will work on this for next year.
Bike
  • 37m 12s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Passed a lot of others on the bike, maybe 75-85 riders or more. Coming from a bike racing background, the bike is my strongest discipline so I held nothing back. Got hung up three different times with persons not staying to the right side of road. Had to say "on your left" repeatedly all three times. Another episode was that since the bike course was on semi-blocked city streets, i got stuck behind a little honda civic that was afraid to pass two slower riders ahead of him. My only options was to really slow down, or to pass the honda civic and the two slower riders by crossing the solid yellow line on the left of the roadway. What to do? I paced behind the drivers side rear bumper and yelled to the driver "to GO, GO, Go" She looked in her mirror and saw she was holding up the race. She then floored it and passed the slower riders. Sort of frustrating. Fast, relatively flat course. I pushed it probably harder then I needed to, but that was what I was looking to do for this race.

Probably would have paced better to help my final run leg.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Felt pretty good. Quick aid station water cup grab heading out onto run. Drank a couple sips and splashed the rest on back of neck to wake self up.

Nothing.
Run
  • 36m 19s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Run is always the mentaly hardest part of the tri for me. Had trouble intially getting a breathing rythem down. Worked that out after the first mile marker. Run felt slow at first, but I continued all the way through the run portion with no walking or stopping. Took a gel with me and ate it after mile two. Did it help me on such a short run course...probably not. Probably more mental, haha! Felt good. Felt comfortable. I knew I pushed it hard on the bike portion, so I didn't expect greatness on the run. Wanted to run at least a 9 min. mile average or so,and I felt that was what I was doing. Come to find out, I was at about an 8min. 16sec. pace. Made me happy.

Would like to try to pick up the pace more during my run portion. After early spring season difficulties with shin splints and hip flexor problems, I am pleased about how things went. Would like to work on run pace for the rest of the season and really work on it hardcore over the winter months.
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretching, and alot of drinking. Relaxing. Spent alittle time at the finish line watching others finish. No matter what place they get, its great to see others finish a goal! Very inspriational no matter how long it takes a persons to finish a race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slower bike riders not staying to the right side of road. Vehicle traffic that made things tricky at one point. What can you do with a race being held on public open roads. Adds to the adventure/race I guess?

Event comments:

Would definately recommend any race run by Max Performance racing group. Town of Sharon, MA was also great in setting up a fun, scenic race course with promoters. Looking forward to this particular race next year. I absolutely love to watch/read/visually see inspirational stories/persons! I spent a few minutes at the finish line cooling down and watching others get cheered on by the crowd as they finished the race. Regardless of finishing time, was awesome to see so many families, spectators out supporting the tri racers!

Last updated: 2010-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:32 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/56
Overall: 0/503
Performance: Good
Suit: Full body wetsuit
Course: Was sort of a strange clockwise retangle course. I was told that the course was actually a little longer than a 1/2 mile. Buoy markers were good. Final left hand turn towards the beach at the end seemed tricky. At the start of the race, visually from the beach it looked like two orange buoys together. But at the wind/chop slowly picked up, the buoys separated, playing a little mind trick at the end.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:12 | 12.3 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Overall: 111/503
According to timing chip, averaged about 19.8 mph on the bike course.??
Wind: None
Course: Mostly flat with a few rolling hills. I never stood up on any uphill sections. I only dropped a couple of gears and powered up them.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:19 | 04 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 0/503
Average an 8min. 16sec. mile average.
Course: Mostly flat with only a couple of small inclines. Very shaded through quiet neighborhoods. Very scenic run around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes