BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Getting Started Rss Feed  
Moderators: Tri Take Me Away, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2011-02-23 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3368925

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Getting Started
kathleen319 - 2011-02-23 1:01 PM Hi Jessica, can you add the Olympic 2x balanced 20 week? I am so confused and I would like to discuss with others. It appears that I am supposed to be using this training plan as a "minutes-only" plan with HR in Zone 1 - 2. However, it looks like meters are also given on the plan? I just want to make sure I am following this correctly. I am on week 2 (did the CNN 6-pack week 1) and want to switch to this plan. However, I want to be sure I understand it and am doing it properly. Can you please elaborate on the minutes/meters/miles issue? Also, would like to reach out to others also following this plan. Thanks so much!!

Sure, I can add it. It's not one of the more popular plans, so if you don't see a lot of activity in thread, try participating in the 2X 16 week Olympic plan too.
The meters are a guideline. You may not be able to swim that distance in the time given. You can either stick to time or to distance, depending on your fitness and time available to train. New swimmers might find that they need more time to do the distance, and that is totally fine.

2011-02-23 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3369273

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
nightofagypsimoon - 2011-02-23 3:34 PM O.K. I am going to start with my first tri training. I am looking to do a  tri in September.
I am still deciding which distance to do, I want to challenge myself as I have a lot of time to train. I think I can do a sprint distance with no problem. Last weekend I did 18 mile bike ride and did the 6 mile run. I think I can do a half iron, I can do the bike and I already run half marathons. The only part that scares me to death is the swimming portion. I know how to swim but I just don't know where to start.

Would it be smart for me to try to challenge myself in my first try? For example, doing the half iron instead of the Olympic distance?

Could you advice me in a plan that can pick up in beginning swimming but with already experience in biking and running. Or should I just start from scratch in any training plan?

Thanks for looking at my comment! :D

ETA: I read the Lean to Swim Month 1. I am wondering what 6 x 25 mean.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1945

Welcome! I would suggest you try a sprint first. No matter what the distance, your first triathlon WILL be a challenge. Doing all three sports back-to-back takes a lot of fitness, knowledge of pacing, and determination to get the training done. If you are a weaker swimmer it's even more important that you start with shorter races as open water swimming takes a lot of practice to become something that most new triathletes are comfortable with.
In the Learn to Swim plan, 6x25 means you do 25 yards 6 times. 25 yards is the length of most pools. So you would swim from one end to the other 6 times, with time in between each 25 to catch your breath if needed.
2011-02-24 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3369581

Thanks Jessica! It looks like on the Olympic 2x balanced 20 week plan, they only give meters for the week (see below).  That's my confusion. How are you supposed to divide them for the swim/bike/run? Thanks so much for your help and inspiration on this site!!!

Week

M

T

W

TH

F

S

S

TOTAL

Vol

24-Swim

Off

40-Swim

24-Run

80-Bike

Off

40-Run

4h 16m

48-Bike

256m

2011-02-24 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3370178

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kathleen319 - 2011-02-24 8:49 AM Thanks Jessica! It looks like on the Olympic 2x balanced 20 week plan, they only give meters for the week (see below).  That's my confusion. How are you supposed to divide them for the swim/bike/run? Thanks so much for your help and inspiration on this site!!!

Week

M

T

W

TH

F

S

S

TOTAL

Vol

24-Swim

Off

40-Swim

24-Run

80-Bike

Off

40-Run

4h 16m

48-Bike

256m

Ah, I get it! The "m" stands for minutes, not meters. Problem solved!
2011-02-25 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3371476

Got it!! Thank you!!!

2011-03-03 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3052855

I just started a c25k program, this week, i did 2 days of 60 second jogs followed by 90 second walks for a total of 20 minutes.  (with 5 minute warm up and cool down) today the muscle in my shin, on the outside is sore.  I can feel it with every step i take, especially when i walk with an exagerated heel to toe action.  Is this just a muscle that is sore from in activity?  it is not painful, just sore.   not sure if i should just push through the soreness.

thanks!  Kathleen

2011-03-07 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3381573

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Hi Kathleen. How is your leg feeling now? It is pretty normal to be sore in the shins when starting a running program. You can massage it a bit but mostly it's just a sign that you need to take it nice and easy as you build up your running times.

kkellihe0812 - 2011-03-03 3:47 PM

I just started a c25k program, this week, i did 2 days of 60 second jogs followed by 90 second walks for a total of 20 minutes.  (with 5 minute warm up and cool down) today the muscle in my shin, on the outside is sore.  I can feel it with every step i take, especially when i walk with an exagerated heel to toe action.  Is this just a muscle that is sore from in activity?  it is not painful, just sore.   not sure if i should just push through the soreness.

thanks!  Kathleen

2011-03-11 11:39 AM

Hi Jessica- I just signed up  and am planning on doing a duathalon - can you suggest a training program- it is a 5krun/13kbike/5krun. I was an avid biker in the past..thought I would try to tackle the Couch to 5k schedule- any suggestions? Thanks
2011-03-14 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3393840

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

moe28 - 2011-03-11 11:39 AM Hi Jessica- I just signed up  and am planning on doing a duathalon - can you suggest a training program- it is a 5krun/13kbike/5krun. I was an avid biker in the past..thought I would try to tackle the Couch to 5k schedule- any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome!! I am sorry I missed this on Friday and it has taken me so long to answer you. Yes, if you have cycling experience but not running experience, the Couch to 5K is a great place to start. Combine that with the running in one of the sprint or Olympic plans and you should be able to put together a good program!

2011-03-31 2:42 PM

New user

Hi Jessica,

UPDATE: I am into my sixth week of the 20 week sprint training. My first two weeks of training was pretty much a bust due to the fact that I was sicker than I have ever been! I turely only get sick once every 3 to 5 years! It seems to be ok though, I am hitting my minutes pretty easy (with the exception of swimming). Which brings me to a question. The local high school pool where I swim will be closed next week. Is there any kind of exercise I can do at home to make up for the lost swim training? Should I just run or bike in place of swiming?

2011-03-31 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3423896

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
tri-new-b - 2011-03-31 2:42 PM

Hi Jessica,

UPDATE: I am into my sixth week of the 20 week sprint training. My first two weeks of training was pretty much a bust due to the fact that I was sicker than I have ever been! I turely only get sick once every 3 to 5 years! It seems to be ok though, I am hitting my minutes pretty easy (with the exception of swimming). Which brings me to a question. The local high school pool where I swim will be closed next week. Is there any kind of exercise I can do at home to make up for the lost swim training? Should I just run or bike in place of swiming?

Glad to hear that everything is going well! While your pool is closed, use that week to have a bike or run focused week (whichever one you feel is weaker). If you are doing a run focus, add short runs instead of the swims. If you do a bike focus, add bike rides instead of swims. The cycling can be a bit more extensive than adding running as it doesn't take as much of a toll on your body.

2011-03-31 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3423990

New user

Thank you Jessica! All of your help is greatly appreciated!!! I will probably focus on bike training.
2011-04-05 4:40 PM

Regular

Hi Jessica,

I signed up recently and started my tri training last week.

Doing my first tri as Olympic distance, completed my first marathon last year and doing my second this fall.

Doing 2x run focused training plan. I'd love to find someone to train with but not sure how to go about that.

I also want to add strength/resistance training 1 or 2x a week, and do plan to lose weight as well.

2011-04-06 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3431345

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
yardleybates - 2011-04-05 4:40 PM

Hi Jessica,

I signed up recently and started my tri training last week.

Doing my first tri as Olympic distance, completed my first marathon last year and doing my second this fall.

Doing 2x run focused training plan. I'd love to find someone to train with but not sure how to go about that.

I also want to add strength/resistance training 1 or 2x a week, and do plan to lose weight as well.

Welcome! Have you explored the forums for the state that you live in? You may find some friends there. Also, try to find a tri club or team in your area so you can start to make triathlon friends. It is nice to have other people to train with!

2011-04-24 2:26 PM

Help

I am a 61 year  young male who started swimming for a triathlon about 4 weeks ago. This is my first time so any and all help is appreciated.

I read the program and it appears greek to me, sorry I don't understand it.

So as I said at the top HELP.

jma 

2011-04-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3463311

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jma51 - 2011-04-24 2:26 PM

Help

I am a 61 year  young male who started swimming for a triathlon about 4 weeks ago. This is my first time so any and all help is appreciated.

I read the program and it appears greek to me, sorry I don't understand it.

So as I said at the top HELP.

jma 

Welcome! Which program did you read that was confusing to you? Once I know that, I can try to help you further. Thanks for joining us and I look forward to helping you!

2011-04-30 9:44 PM

Been thinking about doing this for about 2 months now.  Finally got the courage to get up and do it. So, I'm starting tomorrow.  Just really need a lot of encouragement.
2011-05-01 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3475418

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Landule - 2011-04-30 9:44 PM Been thinking about doing this for about 2 months now.  Finally got the courage to get up and do it. So, I'm starting tomorrow.  Just really need a lot of encouragement.

Congratulations! I am so excited for you! This is going to be a great, exciting challenge for you!

2011-05-03 2:23 AM

Hi,

Just starting my training for a triathlon at the end of this year.  I am doing the bike leg (of 40kms), my sister is doing the run (of 1.5kms), and we still need to find someone for the swim (1.5 km).

We did it last year, but with not much training.  I would like to do it this year with a bit more speed, strength, and stamina.  This is why I have joined this program.

At the moment I am training by riding my bike to a town which is 11 kms away.  This is all I can manage at the moment.  I struggle, but I make it in about 30 mins each way.  I would like to improve, and get there faster.

Look forward to reading any advice from these forums.  I need as much advice and encouragement as possible.

Thanks heaps.

Carol. 

Australia :D

2011-05-04 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3479039

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
carolhawken - 2011-05-03 2:23 AM

Hi,

Just starting my training for a triathlon at the end of this year.  I am doing the bike leg (of 40kms), my sister is doing the run (of 1.5kms), and we still need to find someone for the swim (1.5 km).

We did it last year, but with not much training.  I would like to do it this year with a bit more speed, strength, and stamina.  This is why I have joined this program.

At the moment I am training by riding my bike to a town which is 11 kms away.  This is all I can manage at the moment.  I struggle, but I make it in about 30 mins each way.  I would like to improve, and get there faster.

Look forward to reading any advice from these forums.  I need as much advice and encouragement as possible.

Thanks heaps.

Carol. 

Australia :D

Welcome!

2011-05-14 8:13 PM

I'm not sure where to start with training plans. I dug around on the site but didn't see an answer to this question.

I'm doing a sprint (my first) at the beginning of Oct, so I was looking at the 20-week sprint plan (2x balanced). Just looking at week 1, it would have me do 12 & 20 min swims - I usually do 30 min once or twice a week. It has 12 and 20 min runs, where I usually do 20 and 30 min runs each week. 

I haven't been biking much, so those minutes look good. Should I follow the plan for bike minutes, but adjust the running and swimming to start where I'm already at? Maybe follow the Olympic plan for running and swimming and the sprint for biking?

On the other hand, I'm super slow at everything, so I could do the shorter times and work on getting my speed up.

Any advice?

2011-05-17 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3499382

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
elizabethruns - 2011-05-14 8:13 PM

I'm not sure where to start with training plans. I dug around on the site but didn't see an answer to this question.

I'm doing a sprint (my first) at the beginning of Oct, so I was looking at the 20-week sprint plan (2x balanced). Just looking at week 1, it would have me do 12 & 20 min swims - I usually do 30 min once or twice a week. It has 12 and 20 min runs, where I usually do 20 and 30 min runs each week. 

I haven't been biking much, so those minutes look good. Should I follow the plan for bike minutes, but adjust the running and swimming to start where I'm already at? Maybe follow the Olympic plan for running and swimming and the sprint for biking?

On the other hand, I'm super slow at everything, so I could do the shorter times and work on getting my speed up.

Any advice?

Welcome! You can go a couple of different routes. There are plenty of sprint plans here on BT, so it can be hard to figure out which is best for you. It is ok to use an Olympic plan, but I would encourage you to use the Sprint plan you metioned and think about adding onto the bike rather than adding on to the sports you are already better at. It's very common that people are better at one sport and want to do more in that one sport, but the best thing to do for triathlons is to focus instead on your limiter. If you want to add anything to the sprint plan, add biking. Let your swim and run fitness improve more slowly while you work on getting your cycling up to the level of your fitness in the other two.

Does that make sense? In the end, I think you will be fine using the 2X sprint plan and not changing it all. If more time is to be added, make it on the bike. Best of luck to you!

2011-05-17 7:40 PM

User image

Regular

Just getting started.  This is a great source of information.

I've been running for a while, but just decided to try a tri.  At present, I do not have a bike, but could borrow a decent hybrid bike from a friend.

How much time could I cut if I got a decent used road bike versus the hybrid bike?  Does it make that much difference?

2011-05-18 3:44 PM

Hi I  am new to triathlon training. I am looking to purchase a bike. What kind of price range should i be looking at? What kind of brands? I am just starting off so i am not  looking to spend over $1000. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also is there any training groups around the East Brunswick area? Let me know Thanks!
2011-05-21 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3504393

Thanks, Jessica! Adding on to the bike makes sense since that's my worst of the three.  Now to figure out how to fit that in...I commute by bike most days, so I'll probably find a route that I can add miles on to.
New Thread
BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Getting Started Rss Feed  

of 7