General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-01-05 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3278451

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint - First Tri of year
rogerses - 2011-01-04 10:30 PM I am super excited.  I just signed up for the Carmel Sprint Tri in April.  I will be more than ready for this by then, but still excited for the first tri of the year.  I am looking forward to getting a chance to work on my transitions before doing some longer races. 

Welcome! Thanks for joining us, and best of luck in your training. Let me know if you have any questions about the plan.

2011-01-05 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3279186

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group
tkolesza - 2011-01-05 9:27 AM Hello everyone! My name is Todd and I have been training for the last couple of months on my own but just decided that I need to get a little more structured so I am going to do the Sprint Training plan. I am planning on doing several races this summer with most of them being sprints, but I would like to work up to an Olympic by the end of the summer.

I have a question and need some help. I have never competitively swam before in my life. I can run and ride for days without any problem, but I am completely new to swimming. The furthest I can swim right now without stopping is around 300m. My question is, if I follow the training program, will it get me to the point where I can swim the 500m or hopefully further without stopping? I was just wondering if I am just not in good enough shape yet or am not used to swimming for distance yet and not pacing myself properly. I consider myself in fairly good shape as I can run up to 6 miles and bike around 30, but I am struggling on the swim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
TK

Hi Todd. Welcome to BT! You are not alone. There are SO SO many new triathletes who struggle with the swim. Actually, being able to do 300 m is GOOD at this point! Many people can't even do 25 when they start. Yes, you will be able to to complete a spint and an Oly by the end of the summer if you follow the plan - even the swim. It takes time in the water, but once you get the hang of breathing, you will find that you improve fast in endurance in the pool.
2011-01-08 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3052887

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
How is everyone doing? Check in and let us know if you have any questions.
2011-01-17 11:31 PM

New user

Canby
I have 16 weeks till my first Sprint Triathlon. I'm pretty nervous about the swimming portion because I haven't swam in years and have never been a strong swimmer. I have been running off and on for about 30 years so fairly comfortable their. I have consistently taken an aerobics class 3 days/wk for about 2 years now but have exercise via aerobic classes off and on for also about 30 years. Living in Oregon with alot of rain I have recently joined a gym to help out with upper body strength to improve my swimming and to make use of a stationary bike.

All that said, other than swimming I think I'm most worried about the transition between events and what to wear.

Debbie
2011-01-19 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3305601

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
mustangmama - 2011-01-17 11:31 PM I have 16 weeks till my first Sprint Triathlon. I'm pretty nervous about the swimming portion because I haven't swam in years and have never been a strong swimmer. I have been running off and on for about 30 years so fairly comfortable their. I have consistently taken an aerobics class 3 days/wk for about 2 years now but have exercise via aerobic classes off and on for also about 30 years. Living in Oregon with alot of rain I have recently joined a gym to help out with upper body strength to improve my swimming and to make use of a stationary bike.

All that said, other than swimming I think I'm most worried about the transition between events and what to wear.

Debbie

Welcome to BT, Debbie. Most new triathletes are most inexperienced with the swim, so you are not alone! Just get in the pool as much as you can, or join a Masters swim group.
The easiest thing to wear is a triathlon top and triathlon shorts. You can get these at REI, a triathlon store, or online at a retailer like Tri Sports.com. A tri top and shorts are meant to be worn the entire race. Some women's tri tops have a built in bra and some do not. If you are small chested, you can get away with the built-in bra. Otherwise, you can just wear a regular sports bra under your tri top. Tri shorts look just like bike shorts but have a much thinner pad that dries quickly.
2011-01-23 9:58 PM

User image

Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint - Time to Say Goodbye
Tomorrow I will officially be moving past the 13 week sprint training plan and doing a 16 week swim focused Olympic Tri training plan.  I am excited for the challenge that this distance will bring and looking forward to reaching the half ironman distance by the end of the season.  Thanks for all the motivation and advice the last 13 weeks.  There truly is no better sport than the triathlon.  The community of people in the sport are the best of any sport I have ever competed in.

2011-01-24 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3317209

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint - Time to Say Goodbye
rogerses - 2011-01-23 9:58 PM Tomorrow I will officially be moving past the 13 week sprint training plan and doing a 16 week swim focused Olympic Tri training plan.  I am excited for the challenge that this distance will bring and looking forward to reaching the half ironman distance by the end of the season.  Thanks for all the motivation and advice the last 13 weeks.  There truly is no better sport than the triathlon.  The community of people in the sport are the best of any sport I have ever competed in.

Congrats!! Your discipline is really paying off!
2011-02-21 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Can I join?
2011-02-22 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3366209

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jaclynembry - 2011-02-21 10:12 PM Can I join?

Yes. No secret handshake required. But you do have to tell us a bit about yourself.
2011-02-23 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi all,

I'm new to the sport and have two sprint tris planned, one indoor swim in May and an OWS at the end of July.  I'm thinking about adding a 5K in between, not decided for sure yet.  Running is new for me - I just ran my very first 5K distance on Sunday, yay for me!  :-)  I'm a strong swimmer but not fast.

Anyway, I joined a tri class at my Y, but the first couple workouts seemed too basic.  I'm sure the drills were good, but I haven't felt like they're good workouts in themselves.  (Well, the run workout was last night, but I also did 30 min swim beforehand.)  So I'm kinda looking for things to do on my own, but need accountability.

I do strength training with a trainer 2x/week, and hoped to get in one swim, one bike and one run on other days.  Because the class isn't challenging I may need to do more, like swim or run in the morning (ugh) and then do another workout at night.  I haven't checked out the training plans here yet.

So that's where I'm at, no formal plan yet, just trying to work each sport "enough."  I hope this group will help me stay focused and we can exchange pointers and experience.

Stephanie
2011-02-23 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Question - where the training plan calls for a bike and a run, do they have to be together?  My Y has a good lap pool but the track is 11 laps/mi, whereas my health club has a better track (6 laps/mi) but a useless pool.  So I'd have to do the two workouts at separate times.

2011-02-23 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3368712

User image

I have always tried to do the brick workouts right after each other.  I like to make it as close to a triathlon as possible.  However, you don't have to.  You have to make these programs work for you or else you will stop doing them.  So if you have to, do separate workouts.  But on occasion it feels really good to go right from one workout to the next.  Good luck with the sprint tris.
2011-02-23 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3368688

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
sdejan - 2011-02-23 11:21 AM Hi all,

I'm new to the sport and have two sprint tris planned, one indoor swim in May and an OWS at the end of July.  I'm thinking about adding a 5K in between, not decided for sure yet.  Running is new for me - I just ran my very first 5K distance on Sunday, yay for me!  :-)  I'm a strong swimmer but not fast.

Anyway, I joined a tri class at my Y, but the first couple workouts seemed too basic.  I'm sure the drills were good, but I haven't felt like they're good workouts in themselves.  (Well, the run workout was last night, but I also did 30 min swim beforehand.)  So I'm kinda looking for things to do on my own, but need accountability.

I do strength training with a trainer 2x/week, and hoped to get in one swim, one bike and one run on other days.  Because the class isn't challenging I may need to do more, like swim or run in the morning (ugh) and then do another workout at night.  I haven't checked out the training plans here yet.

So that's where I'm at, no formal plan yet, just trying to work each sport "enough."  I hope this group will help me stay focused and we can exchange pointers and experience.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie, and welcome! Congrats on your first 5K - very cool. This thread is for people using the 13 week Sprint plan, so if you decide this is the plan for you we would love to have you! I think you could use the 13 week plan to add volume to what you are already doing at the gym and that way you could tailor the difficulty and time commitment to meet your needs.
2011-02-23 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3368712

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
sdejan - 2011-02-23 11:30 AM Question - where the training plan calls for a bike and a run, do they have to be together?  My Y has a good lap pool but the track is 11 laps/mi, whereas my health club has a better track (6 laps/mi) but a useless pool.  So I'd have to do the two workouts at separate times.

They are not meant to be done together. You can split them up any way you like.
2011-02-24 1:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Superior
Hi ,
I started the couch to sprint in mid January. I'm doing my first sprint in June. I really like the plan, I seem to have the same problem as others, the swim, I do seem to be getting better, I can make one whole lap doing the crawl. I hope to take a lesson or 2 when I get back from vacation next week. I joined a mentor program that I hope keeps going I really get alot of inspiration from everyone. I also signed on for the coaching and have only received 2 inspires and no responses to my questions. Any ideas?.

I have another question, I will have almost 8 weeks btw the end of couch to sprint, what would be the best plan to follow until my sprint?
2011-02-24 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3369820

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
tkr2770 - 2011-02-24 1:13 AM Hi ,
I started the couch to sprint in mid January. I'm doing my first sprint in June. I really like the plan, I seem to have the same problem as others, the swim, I do seem to be getting better, I can make one whole lap doing the crawl. I hope to take a lesson or 2 when I get back from vacation next week. I joined a mentor program that I hope keeps going I really get alot of inspiration from everyone. I also signed on for the coaching and have only received 2 inspires and no responses to my questions. Any ideas?.

I have another question, I will have almost 8 weeks btw the end of couch to sprint, what would be the best plan to follow until my sprint?

Welcome! While this forum is for people using a different plan than yours, I will try to answer your questions. Where are you asking your questions - in the Online Coaching forum?
Your inspires are for people that want to keep up with your training. If you have friends in your mentor thread, visit their logs and leave them inspires. They will probably return the kindness and visit your log in return. The online coaching doesn't utilize inspires. Your questions should be answered in the Online Coaching forum.
I hope that helps.

2011-02-25 5:26 PM

New user

Hi,

I just joined this website. I'd like to do a Sprint on May 22nd in California. I did a sprint almost ten years ago while training for the Pacific Grove Triathlon. Then 9/11 happened. Long story short, I'd like to do the Pac Grove this year and do the Sprint in May to help with that goal. My first question is how do I "Join this group?" I seem to keep clicking into a circular pattern with no actually joining of the group.

Thanks.
2011-02-27 7:19 AM

User image

New user

GTMO, Cuba
Hello fellow 13 Week sprint trainers,

This is my first post on this website (I think) but I've been a member for quite a while. I started to get interested in tri's way back when but lost the motivation with work, kids, wife, and college. Well, I am currently deployed in Cuba without the usual hinderances (minus the 18 hour work days) so I am trying to really get into it. I am going to do a sprint on April 2nd and I want to train up using the 13 week plan to start out with. I do not have any ambition to do an Olympic or Ironman length triathlon, I just want to do it for fun. I am more a cycling guy and would love to get into cycling professionally. I plan on entering some TT's when I get back to Washington and want to get started on the track to running hard.

Anyway, that is my opening statment and we will see how things go over the next 13 weeks.

Brad
2011-02-27 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3373049

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
dennisfitz - 2011-02-25 5:26 PM Hi,

I just joined this website. I'd like to do a Sprint on May 22nd in California. I did a sprint almost ten years ago while training for the Pacific Grove Triathlon. Then 9/11 happened. Long story short, I'd like to do the Pac Grove this year and do the Sprint in May to help with that goal. My first question is how do I "Join this group?" I seem to keep clicking into a circular pattern with no actually joining of the group.

Thanks.

Welcome to BT! There isn't a way to "join" this group. You just participate in the thread. You can subscribe to threads so you get an email whenever someone adds to the thread, if you like. At the bottom of this page, you should see a box that says "Toggle email notification for this thread". Click on that and you will get an email every time someone writes something here.
Please keep us up to date on how the training is going for you and if you have any questions!
2011-03-03 5:12 PM

N. Phoneix

Hi, My name is Jayson, I am 34, divorced 2x, with one daughter who is turning 11 this month.
    (" I was a heavy drinker for many years and have been quit for 5 months. So, I thought I'd take it up a notch and give Triathlons a shot, a dream I've had for a long time."[ Copied From intro post]).
    I am maybe looking for someone in the north phoenix area to train with. I am currently (or attempting my best anyway) doing the, I believe, 13wkplan for sprint Triathlons, and am about to start low weight/ high reps strength training,also.  I have decided to do either the Payson Sprint in June (11) [not USAT sanctioned] or the Mounatain Man Sprint in Flagstaff in July, maybe both... not sure if that's a good idea, one month apart and all.
 Looking forward to hearing from some locals.
Regards,
Jayson Hardy

Previous was copied from intro into Arizona's forum with a few minor changes.

Although I've been sick this last week, next week I start back up full time. (Darn those jerks at work for showing up sick). I have been doing my bike sessions on a stationary at the gym, but just purchased a used wheelset to put on my old fuji. I believe my logs are available to look at. I've been at this about a month and I caan tell already ...I'm Hooked. =). I am very excited about this even with the naysayers of friends and family. I push through and stopped talking to those about all this...I'll show them!

Also, if anyone has a tip for not choking on water it would help, I have not found a nose clip that works...guess my nose is too big, ha.

Looking forward to speaking with you all.

Jayson

2011-03-03 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3374141

New user

Thanks for writing back! I decided to do the Sprint distance Bass Lake Classic on June 4th instead. Which is a perfect 13 weeks from now. Where do I find the actual 13 Weeks Sprint Training Plan that this group is named for? Sorry-very new to this.

Thanks

2011-03-04 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3381848

User image

New user

GTMO, Cuba
Dennis,

Here is the link directly to the workout plan- http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
Test BBCode Original Sprint 13 Week

And the page just before that has all of the workout plans that a non-paying member and see- http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans...

Brad
2011-03-07 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3381684

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Welcome, Jayson! Congrats on doing what many never do: turning a dream into a goal. As far as the water issue goes, read the thread for the Learn To Swim training plan. There are some links in there to other threads on BT that are good reads for new swimmers.

jazhardy - 2011-03-03 5:12 PM

Hi, My name is Jayson, I am 34, divorced 2x, with one daughter who is turning 11 this month.
    (" I was a heavy drinker for many years and have been quit for 5 months. So, I thought I'd take it up a notch and give Triathlons a shot, a dream I've had for a long time."[ Copied From intro post]).
    I am maybe looking for someone in the north phoenix area to train with. I am currently (or attempting my best anyway) doing the, I believe, 13wkplan for sprint Triathlons, and am about to start low weight/ high reps strength training,also.  I have decided to do either the Payson Sprint in June (11) [not USAT sanctioned] or the Mounatain Man Sprint in Flagstaff in July, maybe both... not sure if that's a good idea, one month apart and all.
 Looking forward to hearing from some locals.
Regards,
Jayson Hardy

Previous was copied from intro into Arizona's forum with a few minor changes.

Although I've been sick this last week, next week I start back up full time. (Darn those jerks at work for showing up sick). I have been doing my bike sessions on a stationary at the gym, but just purchased a used wheelset to put on my old fuji. I believe my logs are available to look at. I've been at this about a month and I caan tell already ...I'm Hooked. =). I am very excited about this even with the naysayers of friends and family. I push through and stopped talking to those about all this...I'll show them!

Also, if anyone has a tip for not choking on water it would help, I have not found a nose clip that works...guess my nose is too big, ha.

Looking forward to speaking with you all.

Jayson

2011-03-07 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3386096

N. Phoneix

Thank you for the links. I have already read and printed the 3 month beginner swim program and have begun to incorporate it, and this past weekend I picked up a copy ot "Total Immersion"...I sure hope this helps. I find this all rather embarrasing as I am an accomplished Scuba diver ( one cert. short of dive master...whats the holdup? Rescue Diver and the 800 m open water swim without gear =). I am a decent swimmer but have always used a noseclip but I just can't seem to find one that works well enough. I WILL beat this, Ijust hate having to stop a swim session to UN-freak myself. I am ramping up my swim sessions this week to 3x a week instead of 2 and focusing on drills, form and endurance

Does any one find it easier to exhale through your nose the whole time? I've been trying this and it seems to help keeep the water out of my nose (which is my issue). I really need some OWS practice but am afraid to until I get this not gagging thing down. I HAVE to do this. Not just for myself but the Mounatin Man Sprint in Flagstaff AZ in July that I'm scheduled for is OWS.

Thanks to everybody,

Jayson

2011-03-07 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Newbie Number Next! After my 32 yo previously healthy normotensive, normal cholesterol, normal weight wife had a heart attack last year (she's fine now), I realized that I need to be serious about taking care of my health if I ever plan on seeing my 3 girls  (7, 4, 3) grow up. I tried exercising last year by spinning/cycling, which I found that I really enjoyed, particularly since i could never run due to knee pain. However, I would fall on and off the exercise wagon, and realized that without a specific short-term goal, I would never truly have the motivation.

When a co-worker talked about how great training and completing a triathlon felt, I thought it would be worth giving it a shot. After training for 5 weeks now, I've found that my knees hold up a lot better since I've been cycling, and I love getting back in the pool (swam in high school). I initially signed up for just the Maple Grove Dare to TRI at the end of summer, but found that my training was going so well (I've been exceeding my summertime goals in these first few weeks), that I feel ready for more. I've signed up for an indoor tri in 2 weeks as a gauge of my overall fitness and goal-setting event, as well as the buffalo MN triathlon June 5. The 13 week program fits perfect for that timeframe, and I'm ready to go! 

Finally, after reading some of the motivational and imagery articles here, I can keep my true goal (be around for a long time) in focus by thinking of my girls with every stage of my exercise.

Thanks,

Ryan

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 11