Running Fit Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 46s
Overall Rank = 158/448
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/23
Pre-race routine:

Wednesday evening tri. Tried to eat lightly throughout the day, last I ate was around 2:30p. Hammer gel ~15 min prior to race start.
Event warmup:

Biked for 15 minutes, swam for 5. (In retrospect, I wish I would have had a longer swim warm-up.)
Swim
  • 17m 33s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

So this is what a triathlon swim feels like. Experienced way more contact than I would have liked. I was constantly bumping into someone or being bumped into. Basically for the first like 2/3 of the swim. For this swim I decided to start on the inside because in all my previous swims I was always on the outside, way outside. I don't really know how, but before I knew it I was in the midst of people. I guess I wasn't swimming straight. But, it's good that I got this experience, because I learned from it for sure! It was really hard to get into a rhythm due to all the contact. I wanted to swim bilaterally, which I feel is the key for me to have a solid swim (and bike and run to follow), but it just wasn't happening. Finally towards the end I was able to start to, at which point I then found myself zig zagging to the end. Oh boy. Not really happy with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

Either start and stay way outside to be able to swim solo, or start on the inside and stay on the inside... which really means, sight better!
Transition 1
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Pretty good transition spot. Had a little trouble un-racking my bike.

Figure out how to efficiently un-rack (and re-rack) bike.
Bike
  • 40m 31s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Well. As I started the ride, I was trying to reset my bike comp and it came flying off!!!! I thought for a split second about stopping to get it, but I just kept going, hoping I'd be able to find it after the race. (Never did. :(:()

But, on the bright side, I actually feel that the lack of comp made me push harder. Like I needed to make up for the fact that I couldn't tell how fast I was going or something. I feel like I was really pushing pretty much the whole time like I hadn't in previous races. The part that sucked though was I would look down to see how fast I was going, and well, there was nothing there!! I tried to take advantage of the downhills by pushing hard.

At around mile 10 there was a volunteer who yelled words of encouragement at me which made me smile so I said thank you to him and give him a thumbs up. :D

Should I have stopped to get the comp????? I am still wondering what I should have done, and at the moment I am not quite regretting it. (Maybe my mind will change once I go to buy a new one...)
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Had a little trouble re-racking my bike.

Remember that all I need to do is change shoes. As I was putting on my shoes I was thinking to myself what else do I need to do. T2 is pretty simple!
Run
  • 23m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Basically the first mile of the run is a gradual incline. Not fun. Legs were feeling quite heavy but kept going. As I was approaching the mile 1 marker, I could start to feel a side stitch come on. (!!!!!!) grrrr. I decided to drop the pace a bit and hope that it wouldn't get so bad. Tried to pick it up again in the last mile.

I am quite happy with this run because despite the side stitches I kept pressing on.

I pushed hard on the bike, but I think the side stitch problem started with the swim. (maybe?) It seems as though when I have an un-smooth swim, I have side stitches during the run. Coincidence?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and ate Aleko's sandwiches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much contact during the swim.

Event comments:

Yay for Running Fit and the T-rex series!

19:52 - 1:12 - 43:35 - 0:52 - 30:55 = 1:36:29 (Triceratops, June)
16:41 - 0:58 - 42:37 - 0:41 - 23:10 = 1:24:09 (Pterodactyl, July)
17:33 - 0:44 - 40:31 - 0:43 - 23:12 = 1:22:46 (T-rex, August)

Last updated: 2010-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:33 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/23
Overall: 204/448
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: counter clockwise loop.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:31 | 12.4 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 274/448
Wind:
Course: hilly enough to constantly be shifting gears.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:12 | 03.1 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 94/448
1- 7:16, 2- 7:57, 3- 7:21, 0.1- 0:38
Course: Gradual inclines and declines. Also lots of sharp turns and turnarounds which are not fun to make when you are tired.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-08-19 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: T-Rex Tri

2010-08-20 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3053018

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: T-Rex Tri
Awesome job as usually out there Samantha!

For the swim, I'm not surprised to hear that you had more contact when you started to the inside.  I am however, really surprised that you had that much contact.  Typically the contact on really occurs in the first section of the race.  Nonetheless, it sounds like did a great job sticking with it.  Unfortunately there isn't much you can do, just keep working and battle through the contact.  If the contact really disrupted you, I'd say go back to starting on the outside.

That's a real bummer about losing your computer!  I know I wouldn't have stopped to get it, but it is a tough call.  As you said, I'm sure you won't be happy when you're paying for a new one.  I guess you just need to make sure you get the new one nice and secure on your bike. 

Great job pushing on the bike.  It sounds like not having the computer may have helped as you had to go on feel as opposed to what the computer is telling you.  A lot of people don't use computers during races exactly for that reason so that may be something you want to consider in the future.

Sounds like you really showed your experience on the run.  Yes, you only have a few races under your belt, but that was a very smart move to slow down on the run when you felt the side stitches.  As to what caused them, its hard to say.  With that high of an average speed on the bike, do you think you maybe went too hard?  This is a tough one and this evening races make it tough cause even though you stayed light on the food intake before the race, it still could be from your nutrition.

Very impressive improvements over the course of this 3 race series!  Keep up all the hard work and congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » T-Rex Tri Rss Feed