General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint: 16/20 Week 2X or 3X Balanced Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2011-06-14 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3549378

User image

Regular
Desert of Mexico
Subject: RE: Sprint: 16 Week 3X Balanced
JonnyVero - 2011-06-14 6:34 PM

I did my first open water swim since begining training this past Sunday. Covered about 280 yards. It felt like a long way and I could not stay with frestyle continuous. I'll need lots more pool time before my sprint in September.

Heading out for a short run now. Current outdoor temp is about 95 degrees so I'm guessing this one will be slow.

Congrats on your first open water swim!  My first open water swim won't be until the 28th of June (with my first sprint Tri being the 9th of July!)  Eeek!

I hear ya with the hot outdoor temps and running.  I just ran 5K in 97 degree heat at 6:45pm.  Yuck!

2011-06-19 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3540492

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

PinkBubbleFish - 2011-06-09 8:56 AM Hi all! This is my first time training for a triathlon, and I'm really excited to do it! I'm a recreational cyclist (on my beloved, heavy, cheap mountain bike...), I walk for at least 20 min every day, I used to run a lot (ran a half-marathon a couple of years ago) but have fallen out of the running habit since moving to athens, greece, and I love swimming but haven't done much of that either recently. I just joined my local pool today and had my first swim, it was slow but  FANTASTIC, I can't wait to go back. I'm starting the 16-week 3x- program on Monday (I'd like to do a trial 20 min-run beforehand to make sure I'm still able to cope with that!) I'm also on the third week of a high-protein, low-carb diet and feeling really healthy and motivated. Really looking forward to some serious, structured training!

Welcome!

2011-06-20 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3055175

User image

Hi everyone - Just signed up today for my first Sprint Tri that is in October.  Before I ask my question I will give you a brief background on my experience level. 

I am 39 years old and as a youth and all through high school I swam competitively.  I have always been a big guy even when I was swimming in high school.  I rode bikes just as fun and never really ran.

Throughout college and up until about 2 years ago I didn't do much of any excercise.  In January 2009 I decided I needed to drop weight and get in shape.  I joined a gym and was able to lose about 40 pounds in about a year.  I also began running and in March 2010 ran a half marathon (skipped the small races and went right to a big one for my first race).  Since then I have still kept running and working out but have not done any races.

I recently decided to join a Masters Swim class at the gym and have been doing that 2 times a week for the past 3 weeks.  Suprisingly, swimming came back to me pretty easily and I am able to keep up with the workouts.

Once I started with the swim classes I said to myself if I can tolerate the swimming I will buy a bike and start training for a triathlon.  I bought my bike and am waiting for it to arrive.  So here I am.

My questions are pertaining to the 16 Week 3X Balanced workout that I printed out.  I am really limited on the time that I can workout (I guess who isn't) but I am wondering if what I have mapped out using the online program is too much.

On the mornings that I swim with the Masters Class I was going to run after the class.  The class usually swims about a total of 2,000 yards.  I was going to run about 3 or 4 miles on the treadmill afterwards.  Is this ok to do or should I be breaking these excercises up in the day?  From what I read isn't this what you call "bricking" and looking at the program you are only supposed to do this a couple times throughout the 16 weeks.

And on my other days that I am training I was also going to do the running/biking on the same days and do them one right after the other.  Again is this ok?

Thanks for your help.

2011-06-21 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Welcome to the adventure Rubant. I am going for my first Tri in September. I think you will be fine doing your workouts for a sprint back to back. Just be sure to "listen" to your body. If things start to hurt too much slow your pace down. Stick with it and have fun!

2011-06-21 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3559531

User image

Thanks Jonny
2011-06-24 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

3.65 mile run this morning. My longest run yet. Brought my pace down to a 9:02 min/mile from the 9:40 min/mile (3.11 miles) on Monday. Then 760 yards in the pool as part of my "cool down".

Got a pro bike fit on Tuesday but haven't had a chance to try the bike since, other than the few minutes from the shop back to my truck. Looking forward to a nice ride in the morning.

2011-06-28 12:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Rode the bike 30 minutes yesterday and it felt great so I decided to bike to work today. All went well until riding home on a multi-use trail I didn't know well. I took a corner going downhill too fast and the path narrows up for a small creek crossing right after the curve. There was no way to stop and I just couldn't get the bike turned enough to avoid going over the edge. There’s a nice skid mark right up to the edge proving I tried not to go over. After launching over the side and bouncing my left leg and arm off of some large rocks I ended up face down in gravel and bushes. Once I finished sliding I was honestly surprised to still be conscious and that the pain I felt wasn’t all that bad. Looking back I still find it hard to believe that I have no broken bones. The bike somehow came through pretty well too, at least to my untrained eye; front rim is slightly out of true, the left pedal has a good amount of metal ground off, paint scrapped from several places on the frame, and the handlebars bent downward. I’ll take it to the LBS tomorrow and have them do a full once over and see if the frame is bent. I’m afraid my swim training will have to be put on hold for at least a few days. Lifting my left arm is a bit painful right now.

2011-06-29 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3570354

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JonnyVero - 2011-06-28 12:17 AM

Rode the bike 30 minutes yesterday and it felt great so I decided to bike to work today. All went well until riding home on a multi-use trail I didn't know well. I took a corner going downhill too fast and the path narrows up for a small creek crossing right after the curve. There was no way to stop and I just couldn't get the bike turned enough to avoid going over the edge. There’s a nice skid mark right up to the edge proving I tried not to go over. After launching over the side and bouncing my left leg and arm off of some large rocks I ended up face down in gravel and bushes. Once I finished sliding I was honestly surprised to still be conscious and that the pain I felt wasn’t all that bad. Looking back I still find it hard to believe that I have no broken bones. The bike somehow came through pretty well too, at least to my untrained eye; front rim is slightly out of true, the left pedal has a good amount of metal ground off, paint scrapped from several places on the frame, and the handlebars bent downward. I’ll take it to the LBS tomorrow and have them do a full once over and see if the frame is bent. I’m afraid my swim training will have to be put on hold for at least a few days. Lifting my left arm is a bit painful right now.

Wow, I am glad you are ok! And your bike, too!

2011-06-29 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3558173

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Rubant - 2011-06-20 12:54 PM

Hi everyone - Just signed up today for my first Sprint Tri that is in October.  Before I ask my question I will give you a brief background on my experience level. 

I am 39 years old and as a youth and all through high school I swam competitively.  I have always been a big guy even when I was swimming in high school.  I rode bikes just as fun and never really ran.

Throughout college and up until about 2 years ago I didn't do much of any excercise.  In January 2009 I decided I needed to drop weight and get in shape.  I joined a gym and was able to lose about 40 pounds in about a year.  I also began running and in March 2010 ran a half marathon (skipped the small races and went right to a big one for my first race).  Since then I have still kept running and working out but have not done any races.

I recently decided to join a Masters Swim class at the gym and have been doing that 2 times a week for the past 3 weeks.  Suprisingly, swimming came back to me pretty easily and I am able to keep up with the workouts.

Once I started with the swim classes I said to myself if I can tolerate the swimming I will buy a bike and start training for a triathlon.  I bought my bike and am waiting for it to arrive.  So here I am.

My questions are pertaining to the 16 Week 3X Balanced workout that I printed out.  I am really limited on the time that I can workout (I guess who isn't) but I am wondering if what I have mapped out using the online program is too much.

On the mornings that I swim with the Masters Class I was going to run after the class.  The class usually swims about a total of 2,000 yards.  I was going to run about 3 or 4 miles on the treadmill afterwards.  Is this ok to do or should I be breaking these excercises up in the day?  From what I read isn't this what you call "bricking" and looking at the program you are only supposed to do this a couple times throughout the 16 weeks.

And on my other days that I am training I was also going to do the running/biking on the same days and do them one right after the other.  Again is this ok?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome! A training plan is only as good as your ability to follow it. It's best to follow a plan that closely aligns with your schedule, but it is also expected that no training plan is perfect (unless you hire a coach to build one for you) and will need to be adjusted to suit your life. Yes, it is better to have a break between workouts. But if your schedule requires you to do them back to back, that's ok too. You do what you can! Especially at the sprint distance, its usually still only 1-2 hours of training at a time, which most people can manage with some practice.

2011-08-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3549463

I did my first triathalon last weekend and the swim was tough.  The tri was in Wildwood, NJ and the only OW swims I did in training were in Outer Banks, NC.  The water temp was much lower in the tri and it really hurt my time.  If possible, do some OW swims in the water that the tri will be in, or at least similar conditions.  Although I have done 1mi swims in the pool, the 1/4 mi swim in the ocean was a struggle.
2011-08-24 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Our training has fallen way off the last couple weeks. Too much travel and kid’s first couple weeks of school on top. We’re getting back on schedule this week though.

Got back in the pool at the Y yesterday and did 750 yards.

I have managed to build up to 4 miles running. (a new personal longest continuous run) and last night running with the local run club I set a new personal best for 2 miles.

Tonight I hope to get at least 8 miles in on the bike for a short ride.

Our upcoming race is 400 yard swim/8 mile bike/2 mile run so I’m confident we’ll finish, but I’m sure we’ll be back of the pack.

2011-09-14 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Its official! We finished our first Tri last Saturday and my race report is up: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=267922

I had a great time, and I’m really looking forward to next season. Planning on at least 3 Sprints next year and perhaps an Olympic.

2011-12-11 8:26 PM

New user

Hello Jessica and everyone.

I'm starting to train for my first Sprint in June! Its a long time away but I'm sure it will come a lot faster then I think. I have hit the pool 3 times this week just to get a feel of where I'm starting and it doesnt seem too bad. 750m/820y in 25ish min. But I was resting between lengths. Whats better a) do the distance and work towards non stop or b) work on the no stopping? or both

I'm also training for a 1/2 marathon in Mar so I will be over training for the 5km/3.1mi but thats not a bad thing in my mind.

One other question I start to import the free sprint 20 2x balanced into my training log, but it keeps poping up to the pay stuff. Do I have to pay to import the training log?

Thanks a bunch

CJ =)

2012-01-01 9:13 PM

User image

New user

Howdy everyone,

Happy New Year... This is the year I make a serious attempt at getting into Triathlons. I currently run and bike. (not together) and just started swimming. (I can swim, just not for distance) Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

2012-01-02 5:47 PM

User image

New user

motherwell

Hi guys,

I've just started one of the training plans from the site with the hope that i'll do a local Sprint Tri in April. I used to run but fell away from it when I started a new job but I now want to get fit again and lose some weight (its not just the christmas meals). I'm quite lazy but can usually force myself to get out and do the workouts. The good thing is I always enjoy them when I get out there and just get on with it. I'm sure once i'm a bit further into the program that i'll enjoy it even more.

Anyway, my swimming is below par and I get out of breath quite quickly so I hope it improves with training. With the help of everyone here motivating me i'm sure i'll enjoy the swimming too.

thanks for reading

Ryan

2012-01-02 11:29 PM
in reply to: #3965592

User image

Champion

Just get on a sprint plan.  Be patient on the swim, it will take a few months until you get comfortable and can breathe.  Swim at least 3 times per week to make good progress.  Not sure where you are located, but it's still early in the year, you have lot's of time.

munkeezero - 2012-01-01 10:13 PM

Howdy everyone,

Happy New Year... This is the year I make a serious attempt at getting into Triathlons. I currently run and bike. (not together) and just started swimming. (I can swim, just not for distance) Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

2012-01-02 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3966929

User image

Champion

Welcome Ryan!

Yes, the swim WILL get easier.  It took me a few months then I was breathing a lot easier.  I have noticed with me, the earlier in the day I can do the workout, the less likely I will be to skip it and be lazy (though it still happens)

2012-01-03 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3967410

User image

New user

motherwell

Hi Ron,

thanks for that. I work shifts so im finding that I have to fit in the workouts whenever I can but they get done. Im right at the start oF the plan so I have lots of time to get fit and plan a race. Im not looking for great results I just want to enter and keep the workouts going.

2012-01-05 7:23 PM

I'm 52 and have done a few small beginner triathalons in recent years, but am now trying a sprint
(Mullet Man in Perdido Key, FL) which is in April. It has a short swim 1/4 mi, 17 mile bike and I think a 4 mile run. The swim is in the gulf. I joined the Y so I can get some pool time in and am trying to get some gals from my exercise class to join in so that I'll have someone train with. My willpower is low. I teach middle schoolers and am exhausted by the time I get home. I don't know what to do to increase my energy. Working out in the a.m. is not an option because I leave for work by 6:30. I'm joining this forum so that I will get pointers, encouragement, and I'll be held accountable!!!!! I'm excited and know I will feel so good to be fit again!

Janie
2012-01-06 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3973840

User image

Champion

Janie,

When do you usually leave school?  Do you have any time before you go home?  Can you bike commute?

2012-02-06 10:38 AM

User image

Sarnia
Subject: RE: Sprint: 16/20 Week 2X or 3X Balanced

Hi from Canada where winters here in Ontario are usually brutal.  But not this winter.  Its spring like.

51 years old.  Have been running forever.  Biking almost as long.  Swimming is my demon - like a lot of other folks its my weakest area.  Started tri swim lessons with a tri coach and I can not emphasize enough the importance of learning technique.  If you are lucky enough to find a good coach, do it.  Forget speed and endurance the first few weeks.  The first 3 weeks all we focused on was drill work.  4th week we started in on laps and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Once you get  good technique then worry about speed and endurance.

Am doing a sprint tri this summer - wanna join me?  Sarnia, Ontario - located 5 minutes away from Port Huron Michigan, which is 60 miles east (I think) of Detroit.  On the St. Clair River and Lake Huron.

Ciao for now,

Joanne

2012-02-12 10:02 AM

User image

New user

London

Hello from London Ontario.  Did my first Try a Tri at Toronto Island last year.  I am HOOKED!!!  I have a background in Track and Cross Country, but that was 25 years ago....  So now trying to get fit again and maybe finish in the top half of the pack.   Training for a Sprint Tri this coming summer, and will likely participate somewhere locally.   Also looking to extend my season with a small journey south of the border, and participate in a Sprint Tri somewhere in the Carolinas etc... Any Suggestions? 

As my Old Coach used to say: Pitter Patter, Lets Get 'Atter..... 

2012-02-14 2:36 PM

hi my name is scott and i am 42. I have done a sprint before but it was about 9 years ago ,so its like starting over for me  . i have been running 2-3 times a week 3 to 4 miles on those days.  Ive had both shoulders operated and would like to add some lifting to my training .please let me know what i can do.

Scott

2012-02-18 10:06 PM

Hello all,

I have recently started (just completed my first week) the 16 Week 2X training plan. I have a bit of a swim background and took up cycling last year. Last month I began to run and I really felt great doing it so I figured... why not put it all together. I am a bit out of shape and want to thin up to marry my beautiful fiance Kristin in June! I do have a question though...Cool

If week one seemed a bit too laid back for me, should I skip a few weeks in order to feel challenged or just let the program take its course?

I am a bit out of shape but think I can handle more due to the biking and running I have been doing.

Thanks for the help,

Kris

Edited by kebence 2012-02-18 10:06 PM
2012-03-04 4:18 AM

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland

I've just registered for my second triathlon.  Last summer, I did a local sprint tri and it was so much fun that I've been waiting all winter to get started again.  I'll be using the 20 week 3x plan.  Last year, I used the 16 week plan and it was great.  I love this website!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint: 16/20 Week 2X or 3X Balanced Rss Feed  

of 7