United States
TBF Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 19s
Overall Rank = 146/180
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 25/27
Pre-race routine:

This was the first Triathlon of my life so there is no prerace "routine" yet. My wife and I did this event "together". We slept at a hotel about a 30 minute drive from the event. Got up at 5:10 am. Ate a banana and a big spoonfull of sunbutter (like peanutbutter but made from sunflower seeds). Loaded the bikes onto the van and headed for Rancho Seco.
Event warmup:

We arrived and got our race packets and body markings. Set up our transition spots and walked through T1 entry/exit plan then walked through T2 entry/exit plan. Got in the water 10 minutes before start time and moved around a little to warm up.
Swim
  • 09m 12s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started wide left since I expected to be among the slower swimmers and I'm not excited about being in the "egg beater" zone. Went out at what I thought was an easy pace, but my breathing was off from the start. Had difficulty swimming a straight line. Ran up on swimmers ahead several times and switched to a breast stroke to keep from running over them. Ended up somewhere around middle of the pack for my wave.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more distance. Practice more often. Practice more open water sighting.
Be more confident in my swimming and pass those guys when I catch them instead of hanging back.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Run up from water is across grass then into the parking lot where transition is set up. Grass had some muddy places but for the most part footing was solid. Jogged up to transition. Saw my wife heading out with her bike and exchanged "good job!" comments. Everything went well. Would be nicer if the parking lot were swept a bit beforehand, but the small sand/gravel didn't bother me.

Probably nothing. Maybe run up the hill a little faster.
Bike
  • 30m
  • 8 miles
  • 16.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This was where I expected to catch up to my wife and I took the opportunity to practice my "race pace". I averaged 20.0 mph to the halfway turnaround point and I caught her shortly after that. From there I matched her pace to the end of the course.

Nothing. I did everything according to plan. Next year though... I'm going to shoot for that 20 mph average for the full course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Nice smooth transition into run gear and I was ready to go.
Waited a moment for my wife to change her socks since they were pretty wet.

Nothing. I did everything according to plan. Next year though... I'll be running my pace and I'll be in and out of there nice and smooth.
Run
  • 26m 53s
  • 2 miles
  • 13m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran at my wife's pace. Walked on most of the uphills. Crossed the line together exactly as planned.

Nothing. I did everything according to plan. Next year though... I'll be trying for 8 minute mile pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my wife and congratulated her. Walked through the tent areas to get water and fruit. More walking while eating fruit. Back to the finish line to cheer others on. Back for more fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim felt horrible. Never got into a rythm.

Event comments:

This race was the culmination of almost 9 months of training together with my wife. This year we have become runners together and then swimmers together. We chose this race because of the mixed start. She started in the wave 5 minutes ahead of me and once I caught up to her we finished at her pace; crossing the finish line together. It has been a fantastic adventure and TBF put on a great event. I hope to do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2011-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:12 | 400 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/180
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri shorts & rashguard shirt
Course: Wade/swim out to the start line and wait for the countdown/horn. Lots of weeds in the water and round rocks on the bottom. Swim straight out from shore to the first buoy. Right turn around buoy and then angling back towards shore and then right around final buoy and striaght into a sandy bottomed exit area.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:00 | 08 miles | 16.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back along the park road and then onto hwy 104. Not much vehicle traffic. CHP monitored for safety. Roads in the park were fairly smooth. Several speed bumps to cross. Areas with many small round pavement markers near pedestrian areas in the park also. Once onto hwy 104 the pavement is more rough, but very few potholes. Some low rolling hills but no big climbs. Turnaround is very tight in the middle of the roadway, but well manned by volunteers warning riders in advance.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:53 | 02 miles | 13m 26s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back course. Starts flat across grass in the park and then out onto a local dirt fire road / fire break. Several rolling hills. These are a bit steeper than those on the bike portion.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes