General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 15m 33s
Overall Rank = 135/152
Age Group = Clydes 40+ 225+
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana, bagel with peanut butter, hammer jel, wheaties fuel cereal (dry) and a cup of coffee at about 6AM. That was a great decision because it helped me stay fueled up and I did not feel sick at all. I also kept sipping water and gatorade before the tri. I took my time setting up transition area. Jake and Kelly were right outside the railing while I did the setup. I was not very nervous which was great.
Event warmup:

Swam a few hundred yards as the water was quite choppy and I wanter get out the swim jitters. I streched and kept drinking water.
Swim
  • 32m 25s
  • 1192 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

My time for this was not at all what I expected. The water was quite choppy and I felt like my swim was just plain slow for some reason. I thought I would come in around 22 minutes not 32 minutes. I am also sure I took it a little easy due to wanting to pace myself for this distance tri which I have not done before.
What would you do differently?:

Push a little harder on the swim and check my technique. When I saw the video Kelly took my head was too high out of the water. need to remember to keep my head lower to level out my body.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

No comment. I actually thought I took longer. I talked with Kelly and Jake while I was in the transition. I did forget my hammer Jells. That was ok though as I took one before the bike started.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride and I paced myself. I also did not pedal on the downhills giving myself a break and saving legs for the run. It turned out to be a great decision. Even when I quite pedaling I was fast when I started again. And, I felt rested.

Nothing. It was a great ride for me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

No Comment. Again I blabbered with Kely and Jake during transition and though it would be longer. I was happy with this.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 12m 56s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually I was happy with my run. While training I have been doing 11 - 12 minute miles so coming in at around 11 was good for me. The course was really nice as it was a bike trail through the park and the field was really thinned out so people were not a hinderance but were very encouraging when you passed them going in the opposite direction or when they passed me which did happen more than a few times. I kept pouring water on my head because it became very hot. I did hydrate as I passed the stops as much as I could.

I would not eat the cliff shots. It was like trying to train with a mouthful of peanut butter. Gag!
Post race
Warm down:

Laid in the grass dead-tired. Eventually got up enough stength to eat a few sloppy joes. LOL

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hate posting this but weight, weight, and weight. Need to drop 20 more to get to where I need to be.

Last updated: 2010-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:25 | 1192 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 118/152
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular swim in lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:27 | 24.85 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 100/152
Heart rate stayed around 145. At times dropped as low as 128 and as high as 162.
Wind: Some
Course: The course was great for me as the rolling hills are what I practice on most of the time. There was only one hill where I had to go to the small ring in order to ride up it but I think everyone did on this hill. There were quite a few people walking the hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:56 | 06.55 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 140/152
Heart rate started out in the 140s but by the end of the run while maintaining the same pace it rose to the high 150s. Not sure what was going on there.
Course: Nice run through the bike trail in the park. there were only a few slight hills. It was an out and back run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-23 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic)

2010-08-23 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3058974

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic)
Great job!  Now I'm really excited to see what you do for the HIM!  Again, excellent job!
2010-08-24 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3058974

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic)
Congrats on the great race Tom!  < weight will help you get faster, but something to focus on during the off season.  Time to hit it hard in prep for your HIM! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Mini (Olympic) Rss Feed