Pirahna Sports
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 52m 18s
Overall Rank = 50/101
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 after a very restless night's sleep. Woke up Kevin at 4:00 (we were staying in Breezewood, PA at the Quality Inn...not a bad motel actually)...dressed and ate a bowl of oatmeal and a stale rice cake....drank some water and some really crappy coffee Kevin made..

Drove to the race site about 30 minutes away, parked and stood in pretty long line for packet pickup

Was able to get into transition about 40 minutes before the race started...and then the rain began to fall...yikes...looked like it was going to be a wet day...
Event warmup:

Unfortunately with the limited time between the packet pickup, transition set up and the rain basically I just waited by the swim start with Nicki and Kevin....oh and it was pouring..thankfully it stopped right before we started the race..

Ate a banana hammer gel 10 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 33m 32s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best open water swim of my three year career!! Felt great and my sighting has improved dramatically...kept swimming while sighting....

Finished 30/101 overall and 3/11 in my age group! So I was off to a good start...but...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...this was a great swim for me...thrilled with my progress...
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Have to admit I decided to slow down a bit in transition...so I thought I would have a pretty poor time but this 1:36 was 21/101...so not terrible...but felt I took my time so I know I can do better...

Not much...I might be able to go a bit faster....
Bike
  • 3h 04m 38s
  • 54 miles
  • 17.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow...wasn't really ready for hills...knew there was a touch 4-5 mile climb...and then rolling hills..was one really nice section of flat where I was able to cruise...really nothing I can do here but get out and climb some hills...and then do it again.

Training for hills...and I need to get more fluid to carry on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 04m 34s
Comments:

Slow transition...mostly because of the significant cramps that hit my right leg...I was literally on the ground....Kevin yelled at me as he was pulling into transition to 'get moving'...and I did...walk/running my way out...This should have been more in the 1:30-2:00 range!!!

Jeesh, not cramp??? LOL

Anyway, it is what it is and I'm looking for ways to reduce it...
Run
  • 2h 07m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

If not but for the cramps....I had to use a run/walk strategy for the first 6-7 miles..then the legs started to feel stronger...I was also suffering from a headache and didn't shake it until about mile 8....finished strong last few miles but did have to use run/walk at different points to keep heart rate under control and to keep moving forward...

Used just one Hammer gel..my head was bothering me so I didn't use the second one...

So the run continued my age group destruction...10 of 11 in age group...cramps and headache killed my time...but...not terribly off the top 5 in the group..would have needed to get sub 2:00...definitely possible!

Figure out why the bad cramping!!!

Otherwise this was a tough run for me and I was proud of my ability to stay focused on just moving forward and being ok with the 'run/walk' strategy..
Post race
Warm down:

Really just walked around and watched Kevin and Nicki finish...ate a granola bar and some chips...drank some liquids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: none, training and prep were excellent
Bike: Hills...I mean I need to ride more hills...
Run: cramping after bike...brutal!

Event comments:

Overall well organized...wasn't crazy about waiting in long line for race day packet pickup...took away from setting up transition and made me feel a bit rushed...I'm a race that likes to arrive early, set up and relax...then warm up...

Post race wasn't much..just some sandwiches which is pretty standard of a Piranah run race..

Also, more a personal note, wish there were more participants...it's a lovely course and would like to see it stay around.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:32 | 1931 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 30/101
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: 200m to first buoy, turn left and follow string of yellow buoys about 800m out..turn left 100m to first orange buoy and then follow orange buoys back about 700m and then a left turn about 100m into finish.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:38 | 54 miles | 17.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 58/101
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Two loop course...two good sized hills and of course some good downhills...I can do better here with more hill work on the bike...the only way to get better at climbing hills is climbing hills...trouble for me with this race started after the bike with cramping. Going to look at bike fit to see if there is an issue...or it could just be fitness..but wasn't noticing others with this kind of cramping...nutrition was good too... On the bike had: 24 oz Sustained Energy 24 oz Water 3 Hammer Gels (1 raspberry / 2 banana); took one every 45 minutes 4 Enduralytes; took 2 halfway and 2 before exiting bike Did pick up a gatorade bottle on second loop to supplement fluid intake. I'm concerned that possibly I need more fluid on bike...will look to add additional fluid for next iron race..it wasn't hot today but if it would have been I could have had more trouble. So that nice start I had with the swim was completely absorbed by a bike that couldn't keep up with the top athletes in my age group...my 3:04 was 9 of 11 in my AG...ugh!! To move up to top 5 I need to be in the 2:45-2:55 range...best time in age group was 2:25...I'd like to post a 2:50 next year...
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 79
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:34
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:07:56 | 13.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 56/11
Overall: 101/101
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loop course of rolling hills...some good downhills though....nice and shaded through the woods...excellent.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes