Jeff Henderson
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 38m 8s
Overall Rank = 209/354
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Rode down with Rob from work. Got marked and picked up chip, set up transition and watched some of the half-iron participants come out of the water.
Event warmup:

None. It was prety warm and I was loose and I spent my time going from place to place to get set up for race. Had just about the right amount of time before the race to be productive
Swim
  • 10m 55s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got stuck on buoy cord. Water was wavy with some chop on way out, as we were against the current and into the wind. Really got buffeted around in first 200 yards. Swam into the kayak and had to go around it. My natural tendency was to swim to the right when I thought I was going straight. I noticed this on both first 200 yards and remaining 300, so I need to work more on sighting in open water and staying more on course (i.e., swimming a straight line). Still, I was very satisfied with the swim. Went out hard and HR was high. My time in swim was only a couple of minutes off my goal time.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more of a straight line.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Took wetsuit off while on the beach and carried it into T1. Made a pretty quick transition into bike shoes and was off. Met my goal time of 2 minutes.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 54m 6s
  • 15.4 miles
  • 17.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I went as hard as I could. A guy I work with did this race with me and he passed me in the first mile or two of the bike. He's a stronger biker (with a brand new set of wheels) than me and I didn't want to lose too much ground to him, so I pushed hard on the bike.

Nothing. I gave it my best. Per the race results, I biked at average pace of 17.1 MPH, which was below my goal of 18 MPH, but generally pleased that I didn't give up a lot here versus my goal. {Note: BT pace calc is different--16.6 MPH, but seems correct) Bike course may have been a bit longer than 15 miles--15.4 miles would equal a 17.1 MPH pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

A slower T2 by about 30 seconds. Don't know what took so long here. Maybe it was walking the bike back to the race and finding my space. Not huge time here anyway, so not a big deal. Only 30 seconds slower than my goal pace.

Nothing
Run
  • 29m 33s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Got killed here. I pushed hard on the bike and had nothing left in the tank for the run. Felt like I was running ten minute miles and was pretty close to it.

Do more than one brick for the whole season. Duh!
Post race
Warm down:

Brief walk to transition to get my recovery drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of specific training (i.e., bricks). Need to sepnd more time in teh saddle and get legs stronger through squats. Also, I'd drink a bit more water before the race.

Lost 2 minutes on goal time due to swim, 4 on bike, and 5.5 on run and 0.5 on T2. Biggest bank for my buck will be bricks and bike work--hills and leg strenghtening expercise at the gym.

Event comments:

Well organized packet pickup, clearly marked/staffed course, good post race food.

Last updated: 2005-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:55 | 500 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/354
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: In water start. Inverted V. 200 yeards to buoy and 300 to shore. Shallow water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:06 | 15.4 miles | 17.08 mile/hr
Forgot all my electronics--HR monitor and Forerunner, so I did everyhting by feel. This turned out to be a good thing, because my post-race guestimates were pretty close to what I actually did. Would've liked to know where my HR was, but I know it was high the whole way around.
Wind: Some
Course: First part of course was into headwinds and uphill (gradual rise). After mile 7 I stayed on the big ring all the way home. I know I picked up my average MPH by doing this. I didn't stop pedalling once the whole way--cranked into 12th gear on the downhills and stayed aero. GPS would have been fun to see what my speed way during these times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:33 | 03 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Dead flat run on asphalt path along shore of the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes