Triple Crown of Running
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1029/1716
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 119/171
Pre-race routine:

All packed/laid out by late afternoon day before race. Went and saw my brother and his friends from Kansas at their Motel in the evening.
Got up and grabbed the 2 PowerBar Protein Plus Bars and a Single Serving Packet of Sustained Energy. Looked again at Weather- Perfect, then Showered and dressed. Got it all in the car and Fired up the iPod, Paul Van Dyk mostly- Time Of Our Lives... "...There's a time for getting lowdown, there's a time for getting high..."
Parked at School again, and just relaxed a bit, missing the Wave 1 start in favor of hanging loose and drinking my Pre-Race Canned Diet FRS blended with 2X PB Endurance, at the Car.
Amazingly, saw Monty (MRMAM) just as I was about to drop off my After Bag, which was great- he's gonna do either Ascent of Marathon next year and has some out of state buddies coming too.
Event warmup:

Minimal. Walking to Start, turned around and went back up steep hill at School to Car. Then walked on down and dropped off After Bag for the top, and hit the restroom. Eased into the crowd from the side, stopping to listen to America The Beautiful, then got slightly left, right in line with the start banner, then they said "Go".
Now that's "Just in time delivery" and none of it was hurried.
Run
  • 4h 34m 55s
  • 13.32 miles
  • 20m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Kept head in the game and focused on effort level all day, slowing down and baby steps on steeper sections, and moving out on more level trail. Was very efficient and didn't run into steep sections after the downhills or level trail.
Really on track above treeline too, breathing a ton, and staying right at the edge.
100mg Carb Boom at Barr Camp was thick, but welcome. Hit next Gu Gel too soon before A-Frame Aid Station, which always seems like it should be right there but'll never come.
What would you do differently?:

Nutrition has to be better. Better- Go Juice Only- breakfast, and take/eat & drink more on the course. Was only 10mins slower carrying 94ozs of my own water and PB Endurance!
Gator was strong/thick and warm at the bottom (so darned acidic) and VERY weak up top when I needed more- Both at A-Frame and Cirque.
Ended up eating more PowerBar within last 1.5 miles, which is terrible to try and chew and breathe at that high altitude- that's when 1 of the 3 folks passed me, then when the Bar was done I passed 'em back.
So more of own my PB Endurance, maybe 28oz hip belt plus 16oz hand held to start, then drink hand-held and refill it with water.
Eat more of whole bar down low when stymied by crowd anyway.
Post race
Warm down:

Ha. At finish got my after bag and walked directly to the Van line. In Van within 2mins. At School Bus swap point walked slowly but directly to School Bus. Too bad, there was tons of Liquid Myoplex on the far side of the tent at the swap point.
After...
Arrived on School Bus at Expo Tent, got my shirt and u-turned outside. Called El to be sure they weren't in Tent. Skipped free Bristol Beer and partial Sub OR Pizza slice to hightail it to Car and then Motel. Mike was just out of shower, so I congratulated him and when he left I jumped in. Got shower then Subway once Bobby arrived- hit the spot. Waited for Michelle and once everyone was showered and dressed it was on like Donkey Kong. Kind of nice, with Mike gone to Denver El had room for everyone in his vehicle. Next year with sister and Mike we'll need a limo, but Alison will have to get there earlier then. And that's not to mention Monty and his crew or the possible return of Timmy or Hector.
I won race prediction bets from everyone but Tuxhorn. Mike didn't pay up but I just got variety at store anyway- something for everyone.
Got Bobby's bike from shop and once it was safely back at room we headed to Bristol, then Trinity, where I had a righteous Organic Spinach Cobb Salad, and got everyone a Bacon Basket to share.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowds are simply tough to deal with down low and to get through up high. Absolutely stopped at Switchbacks down low. And Lots of slow zombies up top. Was real nice... "...Uhhh Hi, I'll be on your left whenever there's room..." Not an efficient way to pass 175 folks above treeline.
Next year should see continued improvement in 4th year of run progression, with continued lost weight for a little better run to Trailhead. But mostly need more time at Altitude- couple more simulations, some top half runs, and will need to be ruthless when passing.

Event comments:

Look, this race is tough. 4:35 for a Half Mary? Come on! But they don't have any problem selling it out! So it's always going to be a monster challenge and very difficult to manage the crowds and passing.

I'd like to do better next year, but it depends on so many factors, including weather. The fact is above treeline, no one cares about anything. At that point I was in better shape than 99% of the folks I saw. I think I got passed 3 times, got one of them back, and 1 was when we were stacked up in a long line right at the finish and I just didn't care to try and have them all move over.
Drink stations are set, and a HUGE effort is needed to stock them. Taking my own Food and Drink is my answer to a 4 and a half hour event, not their problem.
The meager Food after was roundly panned by both folks I talked to in person, and on the message board. But I've always ignored it so didn't even notice. But they had Bristol Beer, which counts for something to most folks. Next year, I'll hit Subway on the my way TO the Motel.

Last updated: 2010-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
04:34:55 | 13.32 miles | 20m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 119/171
Overall: 1029/1716
Performance: Good
Watch wouldn't start... for quite some time so it was maybe a minute and a half off the whole way. I checked it with somebody right at an hour to gauge it was 1.5mins off.
Course: Usual swarming crowd at the trail, but stayed cool (except to comment on folks trying to pass while the whole line of us are standing still- what IS that?) and hit No Name closer to 4:24 pace than 4:30 anyway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-23 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur D Alene, Idaho
Subject: Pikes Peak Ascent

2010-08-24 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3060198

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Pikes Peak Ascent
Nice job out there!  Sounds like you paced the race as you had planned.  Not an easy task when you have people litterly stopping in front of you on some of the climbs. I was one of those guys that tried passing on the incline while everyone else is walking.  It hurt me more than it helped but I let myself get frustrated.  I mean really, why do people go out like a bat out of hell for the first mile and then start to walk as soon as the real climbing starts?  All it does is create a bottle neck for everyone behind them.  I agree the post race food could have been better...but the Laughing Lab Ale more than made up for it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Ascent Rss Feed