United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at a hotel in Klamath Falls so we had a 45 min drive to the start in the morning. We got a quick bite at the hotel (protein oatmeal & coffee) and then headed to the start. The start opened at 6:30 am but all riders had to start by 8:30 am at the latest. We planned to head out at about 8am to allow the morning to warm up a bit.
Bike
  • 6h 00m
  • 78 miles
  • 13.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I expected this ride to be a challenge due to the elevation, but there was also considerably more climbing than I had anticipated. We intentionally skipped the 18 mile out and back in the valley and headed straight up to the lake from the start. I didn't need another notch in my 'century belt'...but I wanted to ride the rim of Crater Lake.

The initial part of the climb was in a very wooded area and it was a relatively low grade climb. It seemed to go on forever though! Once we made it to the rim, I somehow thought the worst was over...it wasn't. Cross winds, cold temps, and torn up road...along with many more multi-mile climbs made the Rim Drive part of the ride a serious challenge. The metric century only rides to the rim and then back down. We wanted to do more than that and even though it was challenging, I'm super glad that we did it. It was gorgeous! The nice part was that from mile 60 back to the start was pretty much 100% downhill.

I think the biggest challenge was mental. When you are only at mile 30 and you look down and see your speed at 6 mph, it's difficult. It just feels like you'll be out there FOREVER. The good downhills made up for all the climbing a bit. I expected our avg speed to be closer to 10mph...so the fact that we had 13 mph made me pretty happy.

I did not have any idea what the elevation profie OR the rest stop locations were prior to starting out, so I felt like I was riding a bit blind. I didn't know how much to hold back because I didn't know when the climbing would end!
What would you do differently?:

Next time I'll have studied the elevation profile and the rest stop locations more closely so the mental battle isn't quite so huge. Other than that, I'm pleased with how the entire ride went!
Post race
Warm down:

After the ride, we ate BBQ and then headed back to the hotel for hot showers. We relaxed in our room for a bit and then went out for dinner. I wore my Zoot Rx Recovery Compression tights until bed time and I had NO soreness the next day. Yay!

Event comments:

Excellent event. Rest stops were very well stocked with lots of good food (like home-baked cookies, subs, fresh fruit, donuts, etc) and plenty of liquids. They were perfectly placed on the course as well - I found myself getting hungry just as the next rest stop was around the corner! The post ride food was delicious (BBQ) and the volunteers were excellent. Can't beat the scenery, either! All in all, an A+ ride.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-03 12:00 AM
Biking
06:00:00 | 78 miles | 13.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: North on 62 from Fort Klamath, climb up to the Crater Lake Rim Drive and head west to circle the lake. Make the complete loop and return to Fort Klamath via 62 again. 7500+ feet of climbing. Elevation at the start was ~4200ft and top elevation was ~8000ft.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right