General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Adrenalin and Heart Rate... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-25 12:09 PM

Subject: Race Day Adrenalin and Heart Rate...
I've been training for the past 6 months with a HR monitor for my "A" race - my first Oly this weekend. I haven't worn my HR during the two practice sprint triathlons I've done thus far - as I just tried to go all out in these events. The Oly is entirely different - and on the run especially, I want to be able to guage my efforts and pace myself or else I am afraid I'll run out of gas early.

My questions are - what added effect to HR can I expect from the adrenalin of race day? Will it be elevated throughout or will HR fall back into normal ranges? And do you just go with the flow? Or do you curb your efforts so that your HR gets back into the proper range and then go from there? I want to leave it all out on the race course this weekend...I just don't want to run out of it all by mile 2 of the run... 

As always, thanks for the advice!

2010-08-25 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3063318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Race Day Adrenalin and Heart Rate...
My HR is about 70-75 prior to the start, resting is high 40's, and is normal on the bike in race mode compared to training mode. I'm sure it's a bit high at the swim start, then settles, but who knows? Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a bit elevated during the swim until I get a clear lane.
2010-08-26 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3063318

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Race Day Adrenalin and Heart Rate...
There's definitely something to the raised HR resulkting from excitemement. I don't feel overly stressed before races but my HR waas 90+before my last race before any activity. I was surprised. Having said that, I don't think it affects my HR that much once I'm underway. Maybe during the first few minutes of the swim (when I can't see my monitor anyway) but for the rest of the race it seems to behave pretty much like my normal workouts.As for pacing the OY, I have found that I don't have to hold too much back. I certainly don't go at a sprint pace but I push pretty hard throught the entire race. My last OLY my HR averaged 170 and I felt good the whole race (obviously with nutritioin and hydratio). My HRs are on the high side in general but I can assure you I was pumping hard so this is fairly relective of my effort. Compare this to my last HIM when my bike HR averaged in the mid 150s and the run was high 150s (and I was holding back most of the time because it was my first HIM).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Day Adrenalin and Heart Rate... Rss Feed