General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin Studios near Boston? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-28 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
Boston area
Subject: Spin Studios near Boston?
I'm planning on setting up my trainer at home, but I'd like to go to a spin studio every so often to shake it up.  I seem to get a better workout in spin classes than on my own.

However, I already have a membership at my work gym, which does not have spin classes, and I'm planning on doing Master's this fall.  I really can't justify joining another gym just for the spin classes.

I know there is a spin studio in Andover (Spin City), and one in Newton, but are there any in Boston or Cambridge?  I live in Arlington, so anything in neighboring towns would work too.

TIA!

2010-08-30 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3068997

User image

Subject: RE: Spin Studios near Boston?
This probably doesn't help, since you don't want another membership, but I live in Arlington, too.  I belong to the Woburn Y, do the masters program there, and take their spin classes.  The masters swim is what you put into it.  Not as intense as some of the other programs, but still a good, structured workout.  The spin classes are hit and miss, like most.  There are some great instructors, and others that just have you mash for an hour.  They are, however, moving the spin bikes into their own room and beefing up the schedule to add more classes.

Maybe something to think about when it comes time to renew your memberships...
2010-09-06 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville

Hi there,

I teach spinning at the Bally Total Fitness in Porter Square Cambridge. If you're interested in taking a class there some time, let me know and we'll get you a few weeks free trial and see what's up after that.

There are a couple of good instructors there covering 5 of the 7 days per week. Send me a message.

M

2010-09-07 10:58 AM

Bedford, NH, USA
The Boston Athletic Club in South Boston has a good spin studio and a few instructors with cycling oriented classes. Mon & Fri Josh, an accomplished endurance  runner and triathlete, teaches a 1hr class at 6am. On Thursday, Terry, an accomplished triathlete and BAC's triathlon coach, teaches a great class at 6am, with some pool work after. Laura, an accomplished triathlete as well, teaches Wed 6am.

These 6am classes are well populated by triathletes, so you will have some like-minded company. And traffic is light that early.

You can get a free 1 week membership to try it out. I'll bet they would work out a plan rate for you to take just spin classes - no gym is turning away money these days. Also, they have loads of free parking, an attached restaurant open 7am to grab a bite/take-out and easy I90/I93 access.
2010-09-07 7:14 PM

User image

Regular
Boston area
Thanks for all the ideas.  I considered the Woburn YMCA, but since I share a car with my husband it probably wouldn't work.  Also, it's good to know that there are some spin classes around Boston, but I really want one that I don't need a monthly membership for.  I'm already signed up for the work gym for 2 years*, and masters swimming is ~$60 a month Surprised.

(You might think, why stay with the work gym, well, I was a part of the group that lobbied for a gym at work, and my membership -along with others- helped them buy equipment.  I'd look like a big hypocrite if I backed out now, and it is convenient)
2010-09-08 6:39 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Both Landry's in Boston and Fast Splits in Newton do classes through the winter (your bike on a trainer - landry's your trainer, Fast Splits their computrainers).

Great workouts, and on your bike instead of a spin bike with a fly wheel.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin Studios near Boston? Rss Feed