United States
Sun Multisport Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 15m 44s
Overall Rank = 16/645
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/26
Pre-race routine:

Slept at my buddy Matty's again this year. He only lives 15 min from the race so that nice. So woke up before my alarm around 5:30ish, went out to my car, had a couple bananas and orange juice. Then I filled up my bottles and headed over to the race.
Event warmup:

Did about a 15' easy ride and then about 8' run. Was going to do a quick warm up swim, but they closed the water super early so I just got myself wet.
Swim
  • 22m 24s
  • 1408 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a terrible swim last year so I was a little nervous going into the swim. I started dead center in the middle of the front row, which I didn't like, but I wanted to be in the front row so when I got out there, that was the only place I could go.

The start went well. I didn't get bumped much at the very beginning, but I did get a real hard smack to the face when I got close to the first buoy. I was really surprised my goggles didn't get knocked loose, but obviously glad they didn't. Besides that, the swim was pretty uneventful. I wanted to breath every 4th stroke most of the time, but it didn't work out. I just took breaths when I needed to.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on my breathing. This wasn't a great swim, but I was happy with it after last year's debauchery.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

T1 was good with the exception that apparently my goggles fell out of my wetsuit sometime during the run to transition. Besides that, the wetsuit came off well and was pretty happy with it.

Hold onto my goggles so I don't lose them.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 50s
  • 26.3 miles
  • 22.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a pretty good ride. I wanted my power to be a little higher and really wanted to do at least 23 mph, but I'll take it. I did a good job of taking it easy on the hills and not burning myself out.

The only issue is I had taped a GU to my bike and planned to take it right at the beginning of the ride. However, when I looked down, it wasn't there! So didn't take a gel till the start of the run.

Go faster. My goal was 290-295 watts. I wasn't too far off, but should have been there. Also either keep my bento box on or make sure the tape is going to hold.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Pretty uneventful. The only issue and I decided to strap my race bolt while I was standing at transition for some reason.

Put my race belt on while I'm running. No idea why I didn't do that.
Run
  • 41m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a great run for the most part. My goal was a 6:45 pace which I exceeded. The key was focusing on my form throughout the race. I took a gel right at the beginning of the run and it sat well, but I should have grabbed a water too to wash it down. My shoes felt great and didn't have any issues with the rubbing on my ankles which I was a little worried about. My cadence was good and I'm guessing it was probably around 87-88 overall.

I did hit a little bit of a wall right at mile 5. I actually walked for a few steps up a hill. Definitely glad I did because I was able to make an awesome kick at the end and passed a guy in my age group on the finish chute, which took me from 3rd to 2nd in my AG. Didn't have any cramping issues, which was awesome.

Keep working on improving my form and getting faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of fluids and then went right over to get a massage. It wasn't the best massage I've ever gotten, but it was still nice. After that, I just hung out and watched people finish up. It was great seeing 3 other NEMS uniforms come over the line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not too much. I just to keep training and work on getting faster.

Event comments:

I really like this race. Its well organized and there's a lot of fast people at it. My only complaint is it look forever for the awards ceremony. Apparently they had an issue with the timing that they couldn't get resolved. I really just wanted to get out of there. However, I'm very happy with my results and it was a great day.

Last updated: 2009-12-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:24 | 1408 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/26
Overall: 59/645
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full body
Course: Circle loop around the edge of the pond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:50 | 26.3 miles | 22.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/26
Overall: 24/645
Avg HR: 177 Max HR: 188 Avg Power: 277
Wind: Little
Course: Nice flat/fast beautiful loop around some lakes and through Lakeville
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:37 | 06.2 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/26
Overall: 28/645
Avg HR: 183 Max HR: 199
Course: Nice flat loop
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-29 9:27 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: Cranberry Trifest

2010-08-30 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3070413

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest
Congrats on a great race and hardware!!!! You really rocked this one!!!!

2010-08-30 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Awesome race Colin.  You keep getting faster.  Great little kick at the end.  I don't think it had much do with that short walk - it was all guts.  Turns out that's all that matters sometimes.  You can train your off but after 2:15 of killing it you were able to dig deep and pass a guy you didn't even think was in your age group.  Turns out that little extra hunger made a huge difference.  Congrats on that.  The rest of the speed was great but that gutsy kick at the end is what was really impressive.
2010-08-30 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Excellent job Colin.  Next up is a little different terrain.  Start getting out on those hills.  See you in Syr.

2010-08-30 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Impressive results!

Excellent race and execution...nice kick you had there at the finish.

So glad you introduced yourself on Saturday after registration.

What IF were you aiming for and how was your vi?
2010-08-30 6:06 PM

New user

Thanks for your comments on my race report, Colin! Also, great job and congrats on the podium finish! Way to stay strong at the finish.  

Good luck with your future events!

2010-08-30 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Once again Colin you rock... Keep up the good work... Hopefully one day I can have a run pace that quick you da man...Way to dig deep and pass that guy at the end..

Tim
2010-08-31 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Colin, awesome job out there. Top 2.5% in a field like that is very impressive. All I can say is watch out Nantasket!

It was great to be part of a team - I've missed that for a while. I'm looking forward to you pushing me in some nice off-season training!

Good luck at Syracuse and IMAZ!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest Rss Feed