General Discussion Race Reports! » Aflac Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Aflac Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 17m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 115/231
Swim
  • 25m 4s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't know why I had it in my head that I'd do this in under 20 minutes. Not even close! I got pretty much the same split as my other races this year. I'm starting to wonder if I only have one speed swimming. I wouldn't say it was a bad swim, just average I guess.

I was surprised at how many women were swimming into me. The worst sighters EVER. I don't mind the bumps, but people would literally swim diagonally into me again and again. It didn't hold me up or anything, but I found it curious given this was my 6th race and usually you encounter one person like that, not a whole crowd.
Transition 1
  • 04m 13s
Comments:

Transition was fine, I was worried about it being slippery given it had been raining, but no slips. You had to run your bike up a steep embankment to get out into the course, but that went flawlessly.

It did take me a little longer then usual to get into my bike gear because I had wrapped everything in plastic to keep it dry in the rain.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe speed things up. I wasn't being lazy, but I wasn't in a rush.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 27s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 15.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, I thought I'd finish this closer to the 1 hour mark. I felt SO good, too. I charged all the hills, worked my butt off, didn't slack for a second. I did have to stop once because my chain was acting up, but wasn't still for more then a minute. I was passing people left and right, way more then I got passed, which was new to me. I thought when I finished I'd for sure hit 17mph average. My perception was SO off, I averaged only 15.1 FAIL. Still, I really did work as hard as I could've and you can't be too hard on yourself for that.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Nothing to say here, it went pretty smoothly. I even remembered to take my bike gloves off without having to run back as an afterthought for once!
Run
  • 36m 10s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I really felt like I was going so slowly during the run. I worked the hills on the bike so hard I thought I'd have nothing left. Still, I ran up all the hills, even if it was a mere jog and I have to say I'm pretty happy I averaged 10:38!
Post race
Event comments:

Now that was one well organized race! The expo moved along quickly, the volunteers in transition and along the course were plentiful... I'm definitely doing this again next year.

Last updated: 2010-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:04 | 1094 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 92/231
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: You wade out to the start and tread water for a few minutes until they started your wave. Course was out, turn around and then swim past where you started and way down to the finish line. Coming out of the swim they had volunteers taking your hands so you wouldn't slip on the mossy concrete. I was very appreciative. They also gave you a hand towel. You don't see that at other races!
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:13
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:27 | 17.5 miles | 15.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 111/231
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills, some more significant then others. I'd say it was a challenging course, but nothing as bad as Luray. Roads were wet, but it seemed like none of the downhills ended in turns so that worked out.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:10 | 03.4 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/231
Course: Starts off with small steep little hills, and then some significant long hills towards the middle. Later part was mostly flat. Overall it was more challenging then I was expecting.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-30 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Aflac Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aflac Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed