General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 16m 49s
Overall Rank = 2085/3859
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 50/125
Pre-race routine:

Friday I arrived in Chicago (bike in tact in bike box!) and got picked up by my cousin. Headed to his place after a quick lunch and immediately set up my bike. I have gotten so much more confident in doing it now that I know what needs to be checked over. After assembling the bike I took a 30 minute ride through his streets (very bike friendly city!) to check over shifting and any possibility of loose seat or handlebars. Everything was in working order.

Later in the afternoon, I met up with Donnie at packet pick up and to check out the expo. It was great having Donnie there since he had done the race a bunch of times and knew the drill. I was a bit disappointed with the expo. Although there were many booths, there was barely any official gear to buy..not from being sold out, they just didn't have a large selection . Bummer. I left empty handed.

Saturday-
Woke up very early and jumped in my cousins car to head downtown and meet Donnie at his hotel. We walked over to the water and got in for a quick dip. Yikes, so cold!, but so clear and actually really nice once you got used to it. Headed back to the hotel to grab our bikes and do a ride along the run course and have Donnie show me transition It was a nice ride and right along the lake. We headed back to the hotel to leave the bikes with the valet and then go on our run thru Millennium Park. Very cool city so far! After I had to jet out and head back to my cousins since he had a poker tournament to play (its his job :)

Rested for the rest of the day and made hotel reservations near Donnie so I could get a good night sleep. I packed up and took the train into the city and checked into the hotel. Awesome hotel and amazing view and was even upgraded to a room with a fridge/freezer.

Met Donnie for dinner and ate a nice dinner of chicken, rice and veggies and then headed back to the hotel to get organized with my fuel and get to bed early. I hit the sack at 9:30...

Event warmup:

Sunday-
Up at 3:30 to get going and meet Donnie at his hotel and walk to the transition before it opened at 4:15

I set up transition and we were done in 15 min. but noticed I left my run visor at the hotel! Ugh had to figure a plan to get it for the run . we now had over 3 hours til Donnie went off and almost 4 til I did. We headed back to the hotel for a rest/shut eye.

6:15 we were back at the site and ready to race! The sprint waves were just starting to go off and then I realized I forgot to grab a gel for the swim start. I had to walk over to the first run aid station and ask
for a gel there. Headed back just in time to see Donnie go off. I still had 45 minutes. Got changed into my wetsuit and headed over to the corrals. I gave my visor to Donnie wife and asked her to hand it me as I ran by after the swim..knowing I could be penalized for it
Swim
  • 37m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got in my wave and positioned myself pretty much in the front row. I was going to hammer it for the first 200 and then get in a groove so I could get me some space ahead of the crowd. The gun went off and so did I. I felt great in those first 200 yds but the started to get beaten up by some of the people in the wave (it was a coed wave and the guys were ruthless) I even got shoved by a guy like with his hand to move me over. Um, not nice! It was right along the seawall so I thought my sighting went really well. You could see the spectators all lined up long the wall cheering. It was great I was feeling fine until my cap started sliding off my head and pulling goggles off and leaking them. I head to stop to adjust twice. I really think I have a one shaped head since this seems to be a pattern with me. Ugh.

I finished the swim and get grabbed to run up the stairs and the long haul to transition (almost ½ mile) saw Courtney and grabbed my visor!
What would you do differently?:

Hmm..not sure anything..maybe push a bit harder think I took it too easy on the swim
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

After the long haul to transition, my T-area was no the far side of the field...ran all the way, got off my wetsuit and went to grab my helmet which was no where in sight. After looking around I found it 5 bikes down with my glasses inside and one of the sides broken off., Luckily it wasn't truly broken and I popped on the ear part and ran off. Got up to speed fairly fast and I was off

leave helmet on towl and not handlebars
Bike
  • 1h 19m 10s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.83 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was along lake shore drive in the inside lanes and the cars in the 2 lanes on the outside. Passing was on the right. I was a bit worried about that part ,but it ended up being fine. I was feeling great on the bike and kept my cadence up around 88-90. The course was mostly flat with a few inclines but nothing that felt hard at all. The roads were pretty bad but they spent the time spray painting areas we should avoid. I did a lot of passing and was really good with my drinking and fuel.(323 calories)-drank about 85% of it on the ride. On the second loop there was only one point I felt a bit tired and it was on the last long hill. Otherwise, stellar bike! I got my feet out of my shoes just in time to dismount.

drink a bit more water..othewise I improed my bike by 10 min on an OLy. according to my garmin it was 25.47 miles..but, who's counting :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

I smoked this tranition considering I was fully on the otherside of the lawn from the run exit! 5th overall in my AG! What do people do in tranistion that takes them so long?!

Make sure my ponytail holder was in..lost it during the run to the exit!
Run
  • 1h 15m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

It was already about 90-92 degrees out there and no clouds. I started my run and was actually feeling decent. I tried to pay attention to my pace and found that I had to consciously slow down to get in my race plan pace. As I started to get towards mile 1, I felt myself chafing on my left arm. Already it was burning. I asked spectators if they had body glide..luckily one did and lent it to me. It was a life saver..no problems for the rest of the run!~

I then broke down in my run. My HR would not come down even through I really tried to slow down my pace. I tried to walk to get it down but even then it wouldn't get below 147. I would try and run but could only make it a few moments before having to walk again. I drank 1 cup of water at each station and dumped some on my head. I was melting! I had taken 3 endurolytes with me and ate all of them. It didn't help the cramping my quads and hamstrings. I did my best trying to stay positive and run when I could. About 50-60% of the racers were walking. I kept telling myself, run to that marker, the you can walk a few moments. I would repeat this the while time. As it got to mile 5, I was hoping I could run the rest I think I made it most the time and had enough to push thru to the finish. I ran thru and it was the first race I truly felt terrible after the race. My stomach was a mess and I couldn't eat anything for a few hours.

ugh..this was my worst run in a race ever! I was so overheated and dehydrated and mentally shot..
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit nad then had to sit down and chug water. I couldnt think of eating and really only wanted fluids..In hindsight, I should ahve gone ot medical and gotten an IV. It took me til the nightime to have my first pee!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat

Event comments:

Its an ok race. I liked NYC better and for the cost of the event and # of people, I think the goodie bag, and post race activities were lacking

Last updated: 2010-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:37 | 1640 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/125
Overall: 2405/3859
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless blueseventy
Course: along the sea wall around bouy adn head back up past the swim start..time includes run to Transition
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:10 | 24.85 miles | 18.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 34/125
Overall: 1846/3859
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: up ramp south along Lake shore drive..2 loops, back down ramp
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:15:06 | 06.21 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 79/125
Overall: 2531/3859
Performance: Below average
Course: along the lake and pass saquarium, other buildings I didnt know. very open, no share!
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-01 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed