General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Half Madness Mad to the Bone Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Batavia Half Madness Mad to the Bone - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Batavia, Illinois
United States
Multi Sport Madness
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 57s
Overall Rank = 412/
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 10/
Pre-race routine:

I had a good meal the night before and went to bed early. I got a good 7 hours of sleep and was up at 5 AM to get ready and be at the race about an hour before. I had some Wheaties Fuel for breakfast (I love that stuff). Made sure I had my race belt, number, chip, sunglasses, Ipod, and headed out for what I new was gonna be a race that was going to push my limits.
Event warmup:

Really no warm up. I am not much into stretching before. I walked from my car to the start line twice. I was trying to decide whether to where long sleeves (it was chilly in the morning). I ended up going with a short sleeve under armour shirt and shorts. Good choice. If I would have worn my long t-shirt it just would've soaked up my sweat from the race
Run
  • 1h 54m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I've never run this far in my life. My longest training run was 10ish miles and that was 2 weeks ago. I knew this was going to be tough for me. The first 8 miles went very well. I had a little bit of cramping around mile 3, but it wasn't too bad and I was able to run through it and keep up my speed. At mile 8 I started mentally wishing the finish line was around the corner. After mile 8 or 9 I probably slowed to about a 9:30 Pace. I don't use any sort of pacing watch so I am guessing based on the split times they were shouting at each mile. Mile 12-13 was absolutely bad. I had run up until mile 12 and mile 12 my body was just spent. I had to run/walk on and off the last mile. Luckily the last .2 miles I finished with a run...I toughed it out, but I was hurting and exhausted. I probably had a 15 minute last mile...which is a bummer knowing I could have had a 1:50ish time for a half marathon. Despite that last mile I was happy with my result. I was shooting to be under 2 hours and I wanted to have an average pace underneath 9 minutes/mile. Mission accomplished.
What would you do differently?:

Not walk the last mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately hit the grass as soon as I got out of the way of the finish line and chugged some water. I felt like a zombie at the end of that race. I had to sit there for 5-10 minutes until I got my bearings again.

Event comments:

I wasn't going to write a race report. But I am hoping someone else from the Illinois area or the hosting tri group are on these forms and can answer this question. WHY wasn't their an ambulance sitting waiting at the finish line? There were 2,000 runners and no ambulance at the finish? That seems like a big oversight unless there was an ambulance that had to take someone to the hospital before I finished. About 20 minutes after I finished a man stopped breathing as soon as he crossed the line. CPR was given/AED and he was brought back to life. BUT it took 5+ minutes for an ambulance/trained paramedic to get there. Additionally, he sat motionless on the ground for 30-45 seconds while the announcer called for medics from the medic tent which was 100 feet away. I just thought it would be kind of standard procedure for a race of this size to have trained medics sitting at the finish waiting to respond to a situation just like this. Thank God he was able to be brought back and I hope he is in stable condition. Anyway, I was just hoping someone from that race has an answer because it seems like an oversight, unless like I said, there was an ambulance who had to take someone else before him.

Last updated: 2010-08-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/
Overall: 413/
Performance: Average
The first 3 miles I had an extremely negative split. I was running out of my league and was running about 7:20 for the first three miles. I eventually slowed it down to about 9:00...big difference. I know they say a consistent pace is good, but I was glad I started out strong. I was able to handle it and probably saved some time.
Course: Flat. The first 6 miles was a slight uphill, but the last half of the race was mostly flat and/or downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-05 10:42 AM

User image

Subject: Batavia Half Madness Mad to the Bone
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Batavia Half Madness Mad to the Bone Rss Feed