General Discussion Race Reports! » Pocatello Marathon - Running the Gap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pocatello Marathon - Running the Gap - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pocatello, Idaho
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 30m 27s
Overall Rank = 206/325
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3a.m...slept fairly well considering I usually don't sleep well before a race and was not in my own bed. My wife and I spent the night at her parent's in Idaho Falls. We went to Olive Garden Friday evening to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary.
Ate a banana, mixed my Perpetuem/orange gel paste, and 2 scoop Perpetuem bottle to drink on the the drive to Pocatello. Arrived at the host hotel and took the 2nd bus to the start.

Event warmup:

Race start was 6:15 so it was dark when we got out of the bus at 5:30. Beautiful sky with lots of stars and 1/4 moon. Slight breeze and a bit cool...walked up and down the road then a little jog just before start..stretched for 10min. Dropped off my bag at the truck including my wind breaker. GPS on and ready to go.
Run
  • 4h 30m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great for the first half of this race..my pace was a bit faster than planned but there must have been 10 miles at least of downhill. Some of it was pretty steep. I had not trained on hills at all. I'll know better next time. In training I did a 16,18, 20, and 2-22mi runs but all flat. After those runs my legs felt real good. Anyway, at the half way point my quads were starting to scream at me! All that downhill really got to them. After mile 16-18 I just watched my avg pace steadily decline. My quads were killing me! You know how it is when you just want to walk for a minute but when you start running again the pain is intensified for the first several strides!! I did do the walk/run after mile 20 but tried not to walk for more than 30sec or so. Those last few miles were torture. It took a great mental effort to run as much as I did even though it was slow. So glad to see the finish line and my wife's smiling face!!! I didn't stay around for the awards but was stoked to find out the next day I was 4th of 10 in my AG. I'm already thinking I'll do it again next year and will incorporate hills into my training.
What would you do differently?:

Hill training..not sure I would really do anything else different...I was a little short on nutrition but hydration was very adequate. If this course was mostly flat I'm sure I could have kept a pace of about 9:40-9:50.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking with my wife (although painful), drank chocolate milk X2, white milk x2, ice cream bar, and water x2. Paid for a 15min massage and he worked on me for 22min!! Money well spent. My quads and right calf were pretty tight!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Screaming Quads!! Other than that, I felt really good. No pain in my back, neck, feet or toes. I was a bit short on calories..next time I will make my Perpetuem/Gel mix stronger.

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
04:30:27 | 26.2 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 206/325
Performance: Good
13mi=2:06
Course: Started up in the mountains...scenery was beautiful..road was all pavement. I was surprised just how much downhill there was..at least 10mi. Some of it was fairly steep. About the halfway point was when we got into some traffic and, of course, the closer we got to town the poorer the scenery got. The course was very well marked and did not ever feel like I was in danger due to the traffic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-06 10:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Subject: Pocatello Marathon - Running the Gap
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pocatello Marathon - Running the Gap Rss Feed