www.cyclingescapes.com
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 09m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Awake at 4am...bagel/yogurt for breakfast...drive 30min to start.
Event warmup:

None..slow start up canyon.
Bike
  • 9h 09m 35s
  • 105 miles
  • 11.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I won't rank myself because my goal was to just finish the entire ride before it got dark. I made it to Sherman Pass which was 8000ft of climbing and 54 miles. Because of the time of day, early afternoon, I decided to turn around there. The actual turn around point was down the other side of the pass 15mi and 5000ft. Which meant, of course, 15mi and 5000ft more climbing. Not knowing how long it would take me to get back from where I was, I decided to turn around to make sure I got back before dark. If I would have thought a little longer about it I might have remembered there was a sag wagon that could have picked me up on the way back if it got dark. Going back only took me 3.5hrs...4000ft more climbing. Turned out to be a good decision...when I went down the last set of switch backs the wind was blowing about 30MPH. I found out the next morning that those who came down in the early evening had 50+mph winds. One rider was actually blown over and was lucky not to go over the side and down the ravine.
They did have Hammer HEED and Perpetuem which was great. I have been using these products for years and it was nice not to have to carry my own. The rest stops were well stocked and the volunteers were great.
We were very lucky there was a nice cooling trend that weekend. A few days before it was in the 108 range. Our temps started at 57 and didn't get any higher than 75...a couple of times I actually wished I had a wind breaker or arm warmers.
What would you do differently?:

Start a bit earlier (at least 5am vs 540am). Wear a head light in case I need it. Ride at my own pace and not worry too much about riding with anyone else. That's just the kind of ride this is.
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing except time.

Event comments:

I will return in a few years to do this ride again and will finish the entire ride. I'll train a bit more on hills and not worry about training for a FM the week after!!!!
Negatives:No pre race hoopla..no post race anything..not even drinks and snacks at the finish (very poor). Not even a T-shirt. We did get a nice medal but for what we paid, $75, we should have at least got that.

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Biking
09:09:35 | 105 miles | 11.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Tons of climbing with tons of headwind! Beautiful scenery.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right