Overall Rank = 149/157
Age Group = Women/no age gr
Age Group Rank = 27/31
Run
  • 8h 48m
  • 52 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Each person on our six-women relay team ran the equivalent of 3-3 mile segments, for an average of nine miles total. I had some of the "easier" legs, but still had to contend with high heat and humidity. I wore my Garmin 305 to capture the elevations/hr/etc., but kept forgetting to "stop" after my legs, so I'm not sure how the data will turn out.
What would you do differently?:

Train more in daytime conditions to acclimate better to the heat. Most of my training runs are in the early morning pre-dawn hours. Considering how little I have been running lately (p.s. my logs are not completely up-to-date) I was happy with my 10mm avg pace, especially with the heat and humidity.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking from parking area to Hana Ball Park and around Hana town. Compression socks would be great for post-race recovery, since you are likely going to be stuck in a packed van or truck for the 52+ mile drive home after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Needed more run training - ideally, long runs should be in the 9-10 mile range. Six was my max.

Event comments:

This race is a real spectacle! Most teams wear costumes, decorate their support vehicle. It's more for fun than competition. This was my first year (I subbed for an injured runner) and I will definitely do it next year. The camaraderie is excellent! There are no drink stations, so you have to do your own support, which was no problem. Next time I think I will bring a cooler full of iced sponges - that was the only thing we were missing - a way to keep cool - as we reached the end of the race and it was HOT!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-09-13 12:00 AM
Running
08:48:00 | 52 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/157
Performance: Average
Course: Hana Highway from Kahului Airport to Hana Ball Park. Winding, hilly 1-2 lane road through one of the most scenic areas of Maui and Hawaii.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes