United States
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 33s
Overall Rank = 475/688
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/40
Pre-race routine:

Overslept, but not terribly much. I basically slept through my 'cushion' that I like to give myself in the morning. Made things a little hectic though - forgot to make my bagel for the road.

Drove the 75 miles up to Waukegan. Stopped for a bagel and cream cheese at McDonalds (they looked at me like I had two heads when I asked for that...) and ended up with a bagel that looked like it had been soaked in butter. Ate it anyway. Bad choice.
Event warmup:

Walked/biked the mile or so from the parking lot to the transition area. Got set up and body-marked, then went down to the beach for the course talk and to struggle into my wetsuit (that should count as part of my cardio workout for the day!). Had a gel about 30 minutes beforehand after making one last trip to the porta-potties!
Swim
  • 16m 41s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was REALLY choppy out there. THANK GOD FOR MY WETSUIT. Really. Without it, I don't think I could have finished the swim. Once we got a little ways out, it got pretty bad (at least for me)... but in the wetsuit, I did a pretty good impression of a bobber out there. Just kept sighting and swimming. Took a quick break, hanging on a lifeguard buoy to catch my breath, but that was more of a thing where it was right there, so I decided to take advantage of a short rest, as opposed to really needing it.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure how I could have handled this better, other than by being a stronger swimmer. I wasn't really freaked out (surprise!), just found it difficult to get anywhere.

Oh - for most of the race, there were about 4 other girls who seemed to be at about the same pace as me (which, by translation, means that none of them were very good swimmers either), and we spent a lot of time bumping each other around. I kept trying to get around them, or ahead of them, or to the side of them... I'd find some open water, and then wham! there they'd be again.
Transition 1
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

There was a bit of a run from the beach up to the transition area. The swim completely wiped me out, and when I started running up the beach, I got about 10 steps into it, said "%$#% it!" and walked. Just too tired to run. On the upside, the wetsuit came off pretty easily - kind of an unknown, since I hadn't really practiced that!

Run a little more.
Bike
  • 43m 10s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

The "out" part of the course was nasty. Against the wind, ending with a long incline up to the turnaround. The "in" part was my only saving grace... started with a downhill and a tailwind where I could pick up a little time.

Second time around the loop, started feeling pretty ill. That Mickey D's bagel coming back to haunt me, I think. Not a good thing.

No McDonalds!! :)

Just gotta keep working at the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Here's my big mistake. Forgot my race number. Doh. I usually put it on before the bike (because that's where my gels usually are), but wore a new shirt today that had a back pocket where I could stash the gel instead, so I didn't already have the race belt on.

Uh.... maybe remember to grab my race number?

Since I had already passed the timing pad, I couldn't go back into transition... so I flagged down a volunteer, and asked him what to do. He offered to get my race number for me (this probably considered outside assistance?)... while I was VERY appreciative of his willingness to help, if there had been any way I could have instilled a sense of urgency into him, that would have been nice. :) But - he was in no hurry, and by this time, I knew that this wasn't going to be a PR for me, so I wasn't too worried.
Run
  • 39m 39s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

HOT. VERY HOT. Just about melted on the run, it felt like. Never really could get it going. But - first mile time includes almost 2 minutes of waiting for my race number.

Only choose races where it's not so friggin' hot outside.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, water, gatorade, and more water. Sat down in the shade and tried to get the world to stop spinning for a minute. After that, headed to the picnic area to get some food, and sat around with Marcie and Brenda and Brenda's friends (the 3 of them took second in the relay!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, the wind. My mistake in T2.

Event comments:

Post-race picnic was good -- nice spread. Lots of raffle prizes as well, though I didn't win anything. Fairly well organized, I thought. Lots of volunteers. Two downsides: the first was no race day packet pickup - very inconvenient for those of us on the other side of the city. The second was that there really could have been an earlier start. 8am in the middle of the summer is TOO LATE! Start at least by 7am to mitigate some of the heat.

Last updated: 2005-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:41 | 800 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/688
Performance: Average
HR was up around 180 the entire time. Waaaay too high for swimming. It's a mystery to my why I didn't start hyperventilating, to be honest.
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: Kind of a rectangle out from the beach and back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:10 | 13.2 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Basically, an out-and-back loop done twice.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:39:39 | 04 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
By my watch....10:52/10:21/8:28/9:59
Course: Out and back course, with one hill going out and a downhill coming back down (attributing to the 8:28 mile 3).
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-24 4:30 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Harbor Lights Triathlon

2005-07-24 6:57 PM
in reply to: #205828

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: RE: Harbor Lights Triathlon
awesome job!! That run was killer. There was practically no wind on that last mile. I could feel my arms burning in the sun. By the way, I raced this morning too if you couldn't tell. It was my first and I'm so pumped. I'll have my race report up soon.
2005-07-24 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Well done and a good report too!
2005-07-24 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
I'm so pleased that you DID this race. It would have been easy to talk yourself out of it.

YES, sign up for the Naperville tri. You need an excuse to keep training. Just don't overdo it!!!
2005-07-24 9:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL
Good job today!  Man it was bloody hot on the run, I thought I was going to melt into the pavement.
2005-07-25 6:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm glad that you did it, it would have been bad to DNS your last race of the season!  Sounds like you did a great job under less than ideal circumstances.  Great race report!

2005-07-25 9:19 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Nice job Laura! I don't know how you survived the run. Just standing there watching made me sweat. Way to hang in there for the swim, it was pretty rough.
2005-07-25 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Well, we did it.  Awesome race, despite the greasy bagel.  And awesome swim, so glad you decided on the wetsuit and had a positive experience in the water (I call it positive because you FINISHED!). 

Surprised you didn't catch and pass me on the run, I have to say that was my one goal out there that kept me at least jogging.  So thanks for the motivation!    For thinking you had a not great run, you did really good.  Since I am sharing swim secrets, care to share the running secrets?  Something besides run and practice? 

Great race.  I still think the funniest part of the whole thing was the mayor, acting like he was running for re-election and the triathlon vote was his clincher. 

2005-07-25 8:58 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Great race!  IMHO, a 9min55sec mile after an 18+ mph ride is NOTHING to worry about...it looks to me like you did awesome!  Especailly with the wind and the heat...you ROCK!  WTG!

2005-07-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: #207073

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
swimmom2002 - 2005-07-25 8:04 PM

I still think the funniest part of the whole thing was the mayor, acting like he was running for re-election and the triathlon vote was his clincher.

So, then, the important question - did he get your vote??  By telling you, "You all came in first place in my book!!" has he secured his spot in office?? 
2005-07-26 2:01 PM

Champion
Good race Laura. Wow, you smoked the bike! I just love reading these reports, it's great to see your enthusiasm!

You know, you can move to New England...it might be cooler here (not guaranteed though)!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harbor Lights Triathlon Rss Feed