Set-Up Events
6580F / 3638C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 52m 59s
Overall Rank = 110/155
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/28
Pre-race routine:

Went for the packet pickup on Fri and did the pre-race meeting. Didn't learn alot but glad I went. The morning of the race got up and had 2 pieces of PB toast and coffee. Sure was hard toswallow but knew that I really needed to at something. Kevin drove me over to the transition area and got thing all put together. Did the body marking and chip pickup. SO glad that the water temp was cold enough for the wetsuit. Sure do need all the floatation I can get from it.
Event warmup:

Only real warmup was the 1/4 mile walk down to the swim start. Ran into Kendell and Amy. We were all very nervous. Was happy that the water was like glass.
Swim
  • 53m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Thanks goodness that the water was smooth. I had been a bit nervous because we had went to the river Wed and the water was extremely choppy. I probably had the best OWS that I have ever had. Sighting was good and I had actually passed a few people from the wave before me. After I got the times I had realized that those people must have REALLY struggled because my time wasn't very fast. Tide was going out so the swim to the beach seemed like it took FOREVER. I also was really happy that I never had to flip over on my back or do the breast stroke to calm down.
What would you do differently?:

Train more in the OW and get a stronger kick.
Transition 1
  • 05m 41s
Comments:

The run from the beach to Transition took forever. I was pretty tired after the swim. Then I had struggled getting the wetsuit off. Took the time to get all my nutrition into my bike jersey.

Be more prepared with my nutrition for the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 24m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.46 mile/hr
Comments:

ONly issue I had was the head wind coming back Rt 5. Usually when I did the training rides we had a nice tail wind and was praying for that. Coming out onto Rt 5 from Adkins road I really had to go to the bathroom so I pulled off a side road and went. SetUp needs to try and put at least on port a john somewhere out on the bike course. Sure hope that no one noticed that I was there. But being the last riders out on the road I seriously dont think anyone saw me. This years ride was a bit slower than last year so I am a bit disappointed in myself for that. I had done that ride much faster in training.

I guess push a bit harder because I know that I can do that ride faster.
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

DONT SIT DOWN!!!! Got everything on and even remembered to take off the bike gloves. However as I'm running out of my rack line the announcer is there calling peoples names and he says "and here comes number, if she had a number I could call her name" then it dawned on me that I forgot my race belt. Thank God he was there or I would have never remembered!!

I'm just terribly slow at transitions.Work faster
Run
  • 2h 26m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Now here is where I thought that I would fall apart. I had been having some serious GI issues while training. To the point of having to almost cut out the run. My plan was to run/walk as best I could and just get through this. Well I did stop to have a bathroom break just at the transition, and I never had to stop again!!! I took some imodium in the morning before the race so that must have been what helped the most. Took a few minutes for the legs to want to get going. By the time I got to the first water stop I was feeling better. Walked the water stops and made sure to take Heed and get something in my gut. Most of the time I'd grab an orange then heed. Run felt better than I thought so I'd push hard when I could. Amy blew past me as I was coming to the second water stop and she was almost done her first loop. Was happy to see that she would beat her goal time and then I thought to myself that MAYBE I could. All I wanted was to come close to last years time. Just after the high school I came up on another friend of mine that I work with. She was really having a hard time and wasn't able to keep anything down. I slowed to give her a bit of encouragement. Walked with her and she told me that this was all my fault, I had talked her into doing this. I felt really bad for her and told her that I'd stick with her to get her through. She wouldn't have it and told me to go ahead and get going. I reluctantly did and told her I'd see her at the finish! Second loop was a bit harder and was getting nervous about the finish time. I would not look at my watch. I didn't want to know how slow I was. Continued to walk the water stops so I could hydrate. It got really lonely towards the end. There was a lady that was just ahead of me that I would almost catch up to then she'd push harder. We got to the water stop at 10 miles and she had slowed enough for me to get really close. I told myself that I would beat her! She stopped at the water stop at 12 and walked more than she usually did and I passed her. I stayed ahead of her all the way to the finish shoot when she pushed that last little bit and passed me just at the finish. Boy that really chapped my ass!!! Hope she didn't ruin my finish picture!!! I was really happy to see that this was my fastest half mary ever. That I am very proud of considering all the struggles of the summer.

Run more in training.
Post race
Warm down:

Surprised to see my neighbors family at the finish cheering me on along with my family. Stretched a bit and grabbed a piece of watermelon. Waited till my friend Kendell to finish!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I AM MY WORST ENEMY!!!!!!! I really didn't put the effort that I could have into training this summer. I hate the heat so I'd talk myself out of working out. Then all the GI issues started which had me really worried.

Event comments:

Well now that I can look back at this race and know I had beat last years time by 4 min I am happy.I really struggled to push myself this year. I know that I will never be the person who can win my AG. I do this just as a sense of accomplishment considering where I have came from and only ever hope to beat the last races time. SO look out next year!!

Last updated: 2010-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:48 | 2112 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/28
Overall: 114/155
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex Ventilator Sleeveless
Course: Out into the james-down river then back to Jamestown Beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:24:07 | 56 miles | 16.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/28
Overall: 112/155
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: One loop out Rt5 into Chrles City then back Rt 5.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:26:10 | 13.1 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/28
Overall: 107/155
Performance: Average
Course: Nice 2 loop course on the Cap to Cap bike trail
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: Patriots Half

2010-09-14 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3097726

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Patriots Half

Congrats on a stron ginish and beating your goal time!

Nice that the GI issues didn't ruin your day

2010-09-15 8:03 PM

User image

Williamsburg
Awesome job, Susan! Despite all the issues you had this summer, you pushed through and succeeded. At the end of the day, that's what matters. It's not whether you win or lose, but it's that you got out there, did it, and met your goals. Fantastic job!
2010-09-16 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Carrie, Thanks and you can train with me for next year!!
2010-09-20 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
GREAT JOB! I hope to take a shot at this race again next year. Congrats on a nice race!
2010-09-20 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Congrats on besting your time from last year and good luck in next year's Patriots Half!  

That wind on 5 wasn't killer but enough to dampen a big push back to the race site.  I was looking at my average up to that point and thinking I was going to really some sweet numbers up.. not! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriots Half Rss Feed