Outback Events Ltd.
12C / 54F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 24m 42s
Overall Rank = 27/120
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in bed until I got "the call" telling me to get my gear together and head off to my buddies house to pick him up. This has now become my "routine".
Event warmup:

Umm...right...warmup, might have to try that sometime.
Swim
  • 23m 36s
  • 650 meters
  • 03m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Happy with this overall swim except for poor sighting and going way off course several times. Was a little nervous prior to start as this was my first OWS. Convinced myself that I was going to have trouble (aka drowing) so opted to switch to a white cap just prior to race start. Felt a little more comfortable as I saw a few others wearing white also.
All nervousness swept aside as soon as horn sounded and racing started. waited until 95 % of swimmers were off before starting out myself. Got comfortable quickly and soon settled into the task at hand. Found myself passing a few people and began to get caught up in the "washing machine" which wasn't bad but good for the experience. Stopped a couple times going out to the first buoy for sighting to make sure I was on target. Took my time rounding the first buoy but could have just swam around it no problem...next time. A few more strokes and I was rounding the second buoy and feeling pretty good. Noticed that I wasn't even close to being last, where I thought I would be by this time. Started out on the path to the third buoy and was feeling fine. Suddenly felt alone so I popped my head up and I was about 25m off course, damn! Made the necessary corrections and continued on. Same thing happened after going around the third buoy. I'm sure the spectators watching from the dock where thinking "look at that dumb ass newbie, has no idea where the hell he's going".
Felt strong during the last hundred meters and swam past the dock and headed for the shore. Usually feel like passing out from exhaustion coming out of the water but this time I felt great and started taking off my wetsuit and running up the beach to T1. My first open water swim...Done!
What would you do differently?:

Sighting and staying on course, put in an extra 25-50 meters for sure.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Took a bit longer in T1 as it was first time with wetsuit. Wasn't really hurrying to much, just wanted to take the time to get everything right.

Practice transitions more.
Bike
  • 38m 11s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.43 km/hr
Comments:

Got out of transition ok but probably took too long mounting the P2. Bike was in wrong gear so struggled with that then off onto the course. I usually like to ride the course prior to race day but didn't do so this time. Had a slower than usual pace off of the mark but soon got up to speed.
Came across a slight downhill with a dogleg left a few kilometers into the course. Volunteers shouting for everyone to slow down for the wet road conditions on the corner. Applied the brakes but response was slow so a little more pressure on the lever and rear wheel locks up! Before I have any time to react, the rear wheel slides out to the right and tries to pass me. I take countermeasures to control the slide but suddenly the tire gets traction and jars the bike violently, throwing me into the air. I land hard on the pavement and can feel a few parts of my body already aching in pain. I dust myself off, jump on the bike to go but the chain has come off, damn! While putting the chain back on, I notice my water bottle missing and have to retrieve it from the ditch. By now, I can really feel pain in my elbow, both hands, right foot and thigh.
Start out on the course again and begin passing people. Got into a groove and passed a few more people on my way back to transition.

Not crash! Other than that not a bad ride in the rain.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Had problems finding my spot. All the bike racks looked the same, blah! finally spotted my area and got to business. Wasn't really rushing things along, felt kinda lazy.

Practice transitions more. Seems like my times are getting slower instead of faster.
Run
  • 18m 35s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 39s  min/km
Comments:

Started off on the run feeling pretty good. Had to pay attention not to trip on the roots and obstacles along the lakeshore path at the beginning. Route continued onto a beach section which was hard to trudge through in the wet sand. Then onto the neighborhood streets for the 2nd half of the run. Didn't need to hydrate at the water stations and kept a comfortable pace throughout the run but didn't really push it too hard. Probably should have had a better time considering it was only a 4 km run.
Nice finish section with supporters cheering racers onto the line.

Haven't done a lot of training for the run since spring and felt it on this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Looked for a first aid attendant to clean up the blood running down from my elbow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crashing and poor sighting on the swim added minutes to my overall time. Lessons learned for next year.

Event comments:

This is a nice little race to finish off the season. Might be back next year to do my first ever Olympic distance with open water.

Last updated: 2010-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:36 | 650 meters | 03m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 80/120
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro X2
Course: Single 650m loop in Cultus Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:38:11 | 20 kms | 31.43 km/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 13/120
Wind: Little
Course: Single loop along rural paved roads. Mostly flat with a couple of minor hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:18:35 | 04 kms | 04m 39s  min/km
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 22/120
Course: Flat single loop with a mixture of rural roads and short section along beach and lake shoreline.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 11:48 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: New Balance Cultus Lake Triathlon

2010-09-14 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3097895

User image

Subject: RE: New Balance Cultus Lake Triathlon
Oh man, as usual another great report from Riel. I really enjoyed the swim description. It's sort of strange but I feel proud of you for taking the plunge (no pun intended). Now that you've conquered that hurdle you can enter any race you choose. Way to go Big guy!
2010-09-15 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Great job taking on an OWS, Riel! 
Sounds like it was another real wet day - Congratulations on overcoming the adverse conditions and the ensuing fall.

Thanks for sharing your race report.

Way to go, Winner !!

kelly
2010-09-23 9:51 PM

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
Wow a tri and the grandfondo in the same weekend way to go I wish I had it in me to do that. Congrats on another awesome bike and run time and conquering your first OWS
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Balance Cultus Lake Triathlon Rss Feed