Ironman North America
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 06m 47s
Overall Rank = 1147/2956
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 195/399
Pre-race routine:

Actually got a little sleep the night prior, woke up at 4:20 just prior to my alarm going off. Finished gathering all my stuff and triple checking that I had everything and then I loaded the car. Had a peanut butter sandwhich and then me and my Dad headed off to the race. My friend works just down the street so I was able to park in his lot, nice knowing that I had rock star parking. Helped to ease the nerves knowing I didn't have to deal with parking issues.

Got to the event, actually changed in the parking structure, which was completely empty. I figured I would be wearing these clothes all day so why wear them an extra hour? Next I headed over to the run special needs area to drop my bike and run special needs bags. After getting these dropped off I headed over to the transition area and got my bike ready for the day. Pumped up my tires and loaded my initial water/nutrition bottles.

Ran into Don, one of my local BT friends, and I inflated his tires as well. Got into the body marking line and then started to get ready for the swim. This was the last time I would see him until late on the run.

My wife and friends arrived prior to the swim start spent some time with them and started to head for the swim.

Event warmup:

Walked down to the swim start, thought I had plenty of time but arrive 10 minutes early was 15 minutes late. Probably about 1000 people waiting to get into the water, all being funneled through over the timing mats and through the inflatable arch.

Started to get nervous about getting into the water prior to the start.
Swim
  • 1h 30m 50s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Serious traffic jam getting into the water. My feet hit the water and I was about 10 feet into it when the canon went off. This caused major issues for me from the start. No acclimation period and I was instantly getting mauled by the 400 people behind me who had not even entered prior to the start. This created a major conflagration right from the start.

Got punched, kicked, swam over, etc. for the first 500 yards. I was swallowing water, my HR was pegged and I was holding on for dear life. I was seriously wondering if I was going to make it through these first 500 yards. I kept thinking to slow down, get my breathing under control and concentrate on your stroke.

I was able to get things under control and the swim went smoothly from there. I did have some calf cramping on the last 1/3 of the swim but nothing I couldn't deal with. My 2nd lap time was a full 5 minutes faster due to me being settled down and the lack of congestion.

What would you do differently?:

I would get to the water much earlier. There was actually a pro who was late and got stuck in the same congestion prior to the start, he didn't start until 7-8 minutes after the other pros had already started.

My late start and the poor position really took it out of me. I can't even explain how much energy I exerted in the first 5 minutes of the swim. I have no doubt it impacted the rest of the day, but that is part of the game.
Transition 1
  • 11m 55s
Comments:

The transition at IMOO is unlike any others. About a 1/4 mile run up to the transition area including a 3-4 story climb up a helix parking ramp.

There is not a normal transition spot where you keep all your stuff. Seperate areas for your swim to bike needs and bike to run needs with a common changin room. This all adds up to long transition times. The pros do have a special area for themselves to make it quicker.

I came out of the water and took off my wetsuit top fine and got my lowers stripped.

I could have been faster in the changing area but I wanted to be sure I was ready for a long day. I dried my feet and put body glide on them before my socks. Got my helmet, sunglasses, gloves and make-shift arm warmers (old tube socks) on. Temp was in the high 50's - low 60's at this point and I didn't want to freeze.

I carried my shoes and ran in my socks the 300 yards to my bike.

No much, I wanted to make sure I was ready to go.

Bike
  • 6h 13m 37s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went well. First/last 3 miles, some of the flatest and fastest on the course, are no passing due to course width/bike trail. This does bring down your average speed as you are limited to those in front of you.

I wanted to average 18-18.5 and I averaged 18 so I was happy. Nutrition went well, no problems with aid stations and hand offs. Hills do impact your average speed but they are fun as they are lined with spectators cheering. Think of the big climbs on TDF and you'll get the picture. Funny outfits people running along, etc..

Probably could have pushed it a little harder but I wanted to save some legs for the run. I kept thinking about the upcoming marathon. Felt pretty good coming off the bike, with a little bit of GI issues but nothing major.

I came out of the water in 1998th place. Finished the bike with a rank of 929, so I passed a lot of folks on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 08m 59s
Comments:

Again a little different T2 so the time seems longer than it really is. You ride up the helix and jump off your bike and hand it to a bike handler, they rack the bike for you. Run inside the convention center, go grab your bag, head to the changing room, take off your bike stuff, put on your run stuff, put bike stuff in run bag and then head out on the run. There are a lot of volunteers to help with anything and everything in the changing room. Great support.

Had to make my first stop at the porta-john in T2, first sign of GI issues. Took about 2 minutes here and another minute getting sunscreen applied.

Probably could have been another minute or two faster, but I applied body glide to my feet, legs, etc. I wanted to make sure chaffing would not be what slowed me down for the day.
Run
  • 5h 01m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

It was now about 80 degrees so the heat was impacting me some. The first half of the run well well, I was at about 2:15 at the half. Second half is where my paced dropped off. Nausea and GI issues started to impact me. I was trying some different food to see if this would help. After awhile it seemed like bananas were the key. I started to feel better and was able to pick my pace up over the last 6 miles or so.

I ended up running the last 5 miles with a ROTC Navy Midshipmen from U of W. It was nice to have someone to speak "Navy" with and it made the final miles go by faster. We probably pushed each other a bit as well.

Eat bananas sooner. I was good about nutrition all day, water, IM Perform drink, endurolytes but the day still tooks its toll. Can't complain to much I wanted to run a 5 hour time and I came in at 5:01:29. Legs felt like they had a little life in them at the end so I probably could have pushed a bit more.
Post race
Warm down:

Got all my finisher swag, met up with my family and friends and enjoyed the moment. Got a massage, picked up my gear and waited for some friends to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably an overall lack of run volume in comparison to my bike volume. However I do think there is significant carry over from the bike to run.

Event comments:

Outstanding support, over 3000 volunteers for the race. Great event and I would recommend it to anyone.

I am still getting used to the idea that the race is actually over.

I'm happy with my performance. This was my first IM I wanted to survive the day and post a good time for myself.

Last updated: 2009-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:30:50 | 4224 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 321/399
Overall: 1998/2956
Performance: Below average
Suit: Two piece Desoto
Course: 2 loop rectangle.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 11:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:13:37 | 112 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 169/399
Overall: 929/2956
Wind:
Course: Stick with two loops on the end. Rolling hills the entire route with a few flat fast sections, 4 big climbs you hit 2x on the loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:01:29 | 26.2 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 196/399
Overall: 1174/2956
Course: Two 13.1 mile loops in and around Madison and U of W campus. Great course well supported by the community.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-15 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2010-09-15 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3100516

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-09-15 7:04 PM

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Nice job!  Great first IM!
2010-09-15 8:01 PM

Master
Elgin, IL
Great report, great race.

Congratulations on becoming and Ironman
2010-09-15 8:43 PM

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job on your first IM and surviving what sounds like a tough start to your swim!!! I loved those hills with all the screaming fans...it's almost like they're all there just for you!
2010-09-15 9:14 PM

New user
Congrats on a great race!

2010-09-15 11:55 PM
in reply to: #3101233

Master
Redlands, CA
Great job Greg, it was fun following your progression.  It seemed to go well, and you carried it out well despite the problems at the swim start.  Glad your training paid off.
2010-09-17 8:29 PM

Master
Dunedin
Congrats! That was a GREAT finish time!
2010-09-17 10:48 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Congratulations!

I can only imagine what that swim start did to your hr and stress level. Glad that the swim got better as you went on.

2010-09-20 2:33 PM

Master
Lafayette, IN
NIce job Greg!  Good, smart race.
2010-09-21 2:56 PM

Expert
Congratulations big time for finishing your first IM. It seemed like besides the GI issues on the run you had a very good race and you had prepared properly. What an accomplishment.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed