United States
RaceTri Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 58m 25s
Overall Rank = 72/75
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Drove down w/ the family and camper the day before. Unfortunately, our oldest (7yrold) got sick at 2AM. That caused me to be awake for a few hours. Then the coyotes started, another lil' bit of sleep lost. Then 7yo puked again, oh well, went on ahead and got up at about 5:45am. Race was supposed to start at 7:30AM. While setting up I realized I didn't have an inhaler, hustle back to the trailer. I started my pre-exercise puffs at around 7:10, then just as I was gettingmy wetsuit on, they announced that they were going to delay the race start to 8AM due to the cold (wusses). I left the wetsuit on to stay warm, but then I needed the restroom and by now the line had grown, so I hustled back to the trailer again and had hubby get my suit back on.
Breakfast => PBJ and a banana (too cold to eat yogurt)
Event warmup:

One day I might ;)
Swim
  • 47m 40s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

(My actually swim time was 45 min according to my watch. The additional time includes a 100yd + run up a rather steep and long boat ramp) This actually went rather well compared to my usual performances and considering this was twice as long. We had a choice of starting from either along the dock or the beach. I figured I was better off along the dock 1. b/c it seemed closer to the bouy 2. there were less people and you could only be one person deep along the dock. The first lap was pretty good for me. By the second bouy I could even sight rather well. However, on teh second lap I had a little spook after the first bouy as I SWEAR there was some kind of current (in this rather calm lake) that was pulling me in the WRONG direction. Almost felt like I was being sucked towards the bank. Then on the second stretch of that loop the fast sprinters were catching me. I tried to hang on to them and draft, but no, that doesn't work for this amatuer. :( I was way ready to get out by the time I approached the boat ramp. I walked up the ramp and slowly started pulling my wetsuit off and my cap and gog's.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Maybe learn how to breast stroke for when I DO need to catch my breath.
As well, hubby did mention that the lake was getting a little choppy as I was getting out. Might have timed that well.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

I've got to figure out the trick to getting the suit off w/ out having to sit down to get it over my heels.
Bike
  • 1h 36m 29s
  • 26 miles
  • 16.17 mile/hr
Comments:

THE PAVEMENT SUCKED!!!! Made chipseal look like high technology pavement!!
Holy crap! NOt even ten miles into this ride I swore that if I'm ever dumb enough to do this race again it WILL be on either a mtn or cyclocross bike!! It's an old chipsealed service road for the interstate that has cracks in every direction w/ weeds even growing through some of them. At one point I could not even drink from my aerobottle without jabbing myself in the mouth or lip. :( NTL, it seemed like this was a VERY hard ride for me, of which it shouldn't have been. Perhaps it was b/c of my disappointment in the road quality or b/c I was wiped out from the swim. I figured that while I wasn't making good time up the first big hill that I'd take that time to eat a gel (@ about mile 10). That's the only thing I ate on the bike. Finally we came to a point where it was all worth it. We reached the top of the second climb w/ spectacular view of the lake below while passig in between to red rock cliffs.

Use inhaler in last mile of bike.
Get bike cptr fixed so I can use it to monitor my pace better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Totally forgot to grab the inhaler out of my bento box. Yep, I regreted it later :(

Use the inhaler!!!
Run
  • 1h 29m 20s
  • 6.4 miles
  • 13m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Uh Boy :( I've got to do more bricks. The run out was a LONG drawn out SLOW GRADUAL climb, but you knew you were climbing. This really killed me. Though coming back was easier. Meanwhile, about a mile into it, I noticed my breathing getting raspier. Once I was back on the pavement I couldn't run very long without feeling major chest congestion. Coming back as I was able to run and push it a little more, I was able to get a resp. rhythm going and maintain it.

More bricks.
As well, I brought a water bottle (just a regular ole' bottle) out on the course with me for the first half to help wash down my gummy bee's. I think I liked having it out there. Then I ditched it at the station at the 2 or 2.5 mi mark. It was nice to have it, but then it became bothersome, esp hearin gthe water swish around when I needed to pee.
Post race
Warm down:

Well... it was more of a fall down than warm-down. It was also a VERY anti-climatic finish. This was my first Olympic and I knew I wasn't going to place or do anything spectacular, but I hoped for a reasonable time. While I really would've rathered to have finished closer to 3:30, I'm not heartbroken by coming in just under 4:00 either. By the time I got to the finish line, there was ONE person there to hand me a little (warm) bottle of water and take my chip. As I tried to get over to the side to sit so he could take my chip, he was adament about taking it RIGHT THERE!!! Geez... So I bent over while he grabbed it then went around to get my inahler (as that I couldn't really breath). WTH, transition was not only empty but half of the racks were torn down. I had to PUSH someone who was getting ready to take the rack down near mine out of the way so I could get to my inhaler in the Bento box. I grabbed it and fell sitting to suck on it for a little bit. I was actually starting to cry thinking I was in deep shit as that it felt like my airway had swollen shut. NO ONE seemed concerned that I couldn't breath!!!! ( I was seated 10 yds in FRONT of the amulance and EMT personel, WTH???) Finally someone came over to check on me. By this time I was able to breath enough that I could speak. I don't think I've had an attack like that since high school, was very scary. Finally I was able to crawl over to gather my stuff into my bag. Was EXTREMEMLY disappointed b/c I figured that all the fruit and postrace food was gone (it was no where near the finish line). HUbby grabbed my wetsuit and I slowly got everything else. I FINALLY spotted the food as they were putting it away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ashtma flare (which had been bothering me the week earlier from a painting project)
Moving jobs totally interrupted my training the week or two beforehand.

Event comments:

Start delay - I know it was cold outside, but the water wasn't. was it necessary, REALLY???
Swim - scary on safety. There was one see-doo that I saw. Two kayaks and one boat. Just didn't seem like a lot of people.
Bike - There were no vehicles circling the course. If I would've crashed on the rough road, I would've been at the mercy of a passing motorist on the interstate or a race participant flagging down one of those motorist. There were volunteers directing traffic at mile 15 and a run water station at about mile 24. Even the cop that was at about mile 5 did not circle when he was cleared at his post, instead he must've gone straight back.
As well, runners were going out and bikers coming in on the same route. Not a problem, unless runners are running ALL OVER THE ROAD!!!! I actually had to weave in and out of runners before I got back to the park!!! I didn't even mention the people riding their bikes on the wrong side and drafting. (BTW, this was NOT a closed course)
Run - I actually don't have anything to complain about here, except that the plywood over the cattle guard probably should've been wider than one person. But I was so far back it didn't affect me.
Transition/Finish Line - I was the third to last person in. While pickin gup my transition area I heard them say it was okay to pick up the finish line - there were TWO MORE people out there!!! All the race awards were done. My husband said they flew through the raffles (while there were still alot of people out on the course). If you weren't in and your number was called you were SOL.
It's a pity this race sucked so bad, b/c the venue was AWESOME!!! (just need better pavement)
At this point in time I'm not sure I'll ever do another race w/ this group again. I was very disappointed b/c I've done their's before and it wasn't so bad, until I remembered that it is the ONLY race where I've ever come head to head w/ a vehicle and been run off the road (due to runners and bikers on a tight neighborhood street)
They REALLY should consider sanctioning this race. Perhaps if they followed some of the sanctioning requirements and had more people on the course, it would be better and SAFER!!!

Last updated: 2010-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:40 | 1760 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/75
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Synergy
Course: Two loops
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:36:29 | 26 miles | 16.17 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: One big loop w/ some LONG slow climbs.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:29:20 | 06.4 miles | 13m 58s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Combination 4x4 road and hwy road (mostly hwy road)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-09-16 6:36 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: YUBA

2010-09-19 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3103230

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: YUBA

Hey that is what I call endurance! You finished regardless of all the issues! Awesome! Was this the first time they did this venue?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YUBA Rss Feed