General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression Calf Socks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-17 11:18 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Compression Calf Socks
Hi. Please recommend Compression Calf Socks. Looking to use them for an IM, during the swim & throughout the race. Reasons: (a) warm & (b) compression shorts feels good, so why not sock? 

Price-consciousness is a good thing.

Thanks in advance. 

2010-09-17 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3104468

Veteran
Subject: RE: Compression Calf Socks
I just purchased the 2XU from runners warehouse for $49 with free 2 day day shipping. Used them 5-6 time so far because I was having calf probles. So far I love them, but have not used any other brand to compare them to.

I also bought a pair og compression socks from CVS for $14. I wear them at night or after a run. Not sure if I would use them for racing.
2010-09-17 12:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
I assume you mean "sleeve", not "sock" (you mentioned wearing them for the swim).

I used CEP sleeves for all of IMWI - under the wetsuit for the swim, and stayed on all day. Loved 'em.

CEP and Zoot compression gear consistently rank best in testing. 2XU look cool, but have tested to have poor compression.

Cheers, Chris
2010-09-17 12:38 PM

New user
Spring, Texas
I have some CEP "sleeve" socks. I wear them the day before the race, sleep in them, and only take them off just before the swim (roll them down for body marking. I used to have problems with calf cramping off the bike, but not any more. I wore them during the race for a duathlon, and didnt' have any calf problems, but I felt like i was a little hot (it WAS Texas, after all). I haven't worn them during any other races, I just take them off jsut before the swim. I've never worn them during the swim, although I don't think it would "weigh you down".

I tried them on during a pre-race expo for jsut five minutes. i took them off and my legs still felt "rejuvenated" 30 minutes later. I then went back tot he expo tent and bought some and wore them that night, the next morning, and all the the du.

I'm a believer, and plan on getting antoher pair soon to be able to wear later int he day after the race after the pair i wear to and from the race are all funky.
2010-09-17 2:22 PM

New user
Bonney Lake
I have a pair of CEP that I have worn for a couple races. I am not very fast at in and out of them so my t1 time wsa a bit slow each time I used mine. I put them on for one race and in the run it got close to 100 and my legs still felt ok. Did not get hot in them. If you have calf problems I think they work well. also feel great after a race to put a good pair on.
2010-09-17 2:59 PM

User image

Lowell, Massachusetts
Hey Porfirio,

I've heard good things about CEP Socks, but have never tested them.  We've just finished an initial review on a set of calf sleeves from a company called CompresSport at my site, FitEgg.com.  You can check our our initial review of the calf sleeves here:
http://fitegg.com/2010/09/compressport-race-and-recovery-calf-sleeves-initial-review/
These are the best compression products we've tested so far.  We're currently using them during training, the initial review above is all about recovery.  Our testers like their performance during training so far, but we haven't completed the final review yet.
We also tested a sock from SLS3 back in April and were very impressed, but it's a sock, not a sleeve.  If you search for SLS3 on the site, you'll see the review.  Don't want to post a ton of links here, but we've done a few other compression products too.
Hope that's helpful.

Eric

2010-09-17 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I have the Zoot compression sleeves. They actually make my calves a little sore when they're on, but my calves feel great after taking them off. I'm not sure if this is how they're supposed to work, but they definitely get the job done.

I haven't tried exercising in them, but put them off after long or hard workouts. I have also slept in them and in the morning my calves feel fresh.
2010-09-19 2:22 AM

User image

Expert
Love my CEP calf socks and I love my Zoot compression tights and shorts. 2XU compression is built backwards, basically constraining blood in your foot, instead of moving it up. Stay away...it's actually potentially dangerous.
2010-09-19 6:26 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I have both compression socks and sleeves. If I race in compression socks they do a number to the ends of my toes and I lose my toenails.

Thus I race in compression sleeves I have Zoot which I love and have used for both last IM and HIM, 2xu which aren't so good.

Right now through today CEP compression socks and sleeves are 25% off at trisports.com. I ordered a pair of the sleeves as I like their socks.

I put sleeves on after body marking and wear them the whole day.
2010-09-19 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3106448

User image

DC
KathyG - 2010-09-19 6:26 AM I have both compression socks and sleeves. If I race in compression socks they do a number to the ends of my toes and I lose my toenails.

Thus I race in compression sleeves I have Zoot which I love and have used for both last IM and HIM, 2xu which aren't so good.

Right now through today CEP compression socks and sleeves are 25% off at trisports.com. I ordered a pair of the sleeves as I like their socks.

I put sleeves on after body marking and wear them the whole day.

Perfect!

As to racing, I'm hearing that I should train w/them & take it from there. 

Thanks all. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression Calf Socks Rss Feed