View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tacoma, Washington
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I did this with my wife and so our prerace was to drop our son off with my mom the night before. However this was great my brother had a football game that night and we got to see a fantastic game that went to OT. Lots of fun. After family went on its was me and the wife went home for a bit of rest and relaxation. That started the debate on food. I felt like a sandwich from a good sub shop she wanted something else and we ended up with teriyaki. Not the best pre race meal but man it was good.
Event warmup:

Our warm up was the normal drive to the race as I try and pump my wife up to rock the run. She was ready and I was mentally ready to just relax and jog. We set our lofty plans for the race. I wanted to keep a smooth jog of 8:20 a mile and my wife wanted to fly along at 10 min a mile. As we got closer parking began to look nuts. AAA but I know the area and tried to back seat drive as my wife tried to follow what I was saying, but thought I was crazy, par for the course. We found a spot closer than I thought we would and I got the big grin of told ya so from my wife. The rest of our warm up was a short walk to the rest rooms which had short lines. Plenty of potty’s at this race. We then walked around a booth and there was another set of potty’s that had a huge and I mean huge line. After that it was a bit of walking to see the kids race and get the legs loose and find a place in the starting area.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

As the gun went off I started my watch to try and keep my pace. Remember I wanted to rock a smooth jog at 8:20 a mile. I had a soccer game 4 hours later and wanted to stay a little fresh and also did not want to over do anything. This was the 3rd time I ran since HIM Lake Stevens last month. I began to run and felt good running along and noticed the slight up hill at the start. It was not bad and for the first half mile or so there was 3 bands so that was real cool. I kept going doing my pace. Got to mile 1 and I was over a minute faster than I wanted to be. I felt good but wanted to slow a little to just keep pace. It was a hard mental test. Try and keep a pace that felt slow for the day. Try and not be competitive in the race and just use it as a good jog with people. AAAAA it was killing me but I did find my groove and I did come close to my per mile time. I think my slowest was around 8:10. I did what I wanted to do. Finish the race and feel good about it.
After I was done I knew my wife would not be to far back so I walked down the course about a half mile or more and waited for her to come by. She was sprinting to get the time she wanted. I tried to help push her and encourage her. She finished and let me know that when she met up with me she thought the banner over the road was the finish, ummmm nope she still had a good half mile left. She did great, got her goal of an hour for the race.

The race was fun. Bands here and there on the course lots of people running, nice flat course and right on the water for most of it. They also have many races, kids 1k, a 5k and a 10k and all money goes to schools.

What would you do differently?:

not much, could have run a bit faster but wanted to enjoy and relax.
Post race
Warm down:

The warm down was a brief checking of the booths and talking with a friend who did the 5k. I think his wife won that race. They are both great, fast runners and nice people so good for them placing in the runs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just me not wanting to run faster. Saved up for my soccer game and also just have not been running much. It has been rest month. Scored 3 goals in our soccer game to so I am happy with the day.

Last updated: 2010-08-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: mostly flat and very scenic
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]