United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 42m 3s
Overall Rank = 1860/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 270/352
Pre-race routine:

Got up and got crap together and headed to transition. Took about 15 min to drive down so ate a couple of bagels and granola bar and drank water and powerade. Got body marked, and put bottles on bike. Went back for air pump and got tires filled and brought pump back to truck. Headed inside to put shoes in t2 bag and get ready for swim.

Hit the porto a few times and headed to start. Every which way I turned was the same place everyone else was going. Forgot my good goggles in the terrace so grabbed my back up pair and realized I left my swim cap at the hotel. Worked my way to the start and got a new swim cap. Walked across mat and jumped in water and took a second to catch my breathe.Gun went off before I could blink.
Swim
  • 1h 20m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wow was it rough. It was a giant washing machine at the start and was a fight all the way to the first bouy. I couldn't get comfortable. I stayed inside too much and paid for it at the turns. Goggles were fogging for a good portion of the swim but I did my best to keep following the herd.

Had to pop up in the water a few times as the sun was in my eyes and I couldn't tell where I was going. Second loop was a little easier to navigate than the first but still a lot of bumping and clawing. Hit the final turn and it was on. I think everyone was doing kick drills as the feet were kicking everywhere and I was blasted a few good times including having my finger bent backwards. Got to where I could touch and stood up to run up the rest of the way. Saw the clock and blurted and explective as I was shocked.

Now I haven't swam more than 20 times this whole year and probably only 3 or 4 ows so I thought it was going to be horrible but actually I saw 1:19:xx which was my fastest IM swim yet out of 4 tries.
What would you do differently?:

Need to train more and swim more and OWS more.
Transition 1
  • 11m 14s
Comments:

Long run up the helix and inside after wetsuit strippers did there thing. T1 was packed inside so found a chair and a nice volenteer helped me get my crap together and get me on my way. Out the door to hit the porto and get some sunscreen.

Speed up
Bike
  • 7h 20m 13s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Well...I knew I was not in shape for this so the plan was to treat it like a nice long catered ride. I had heard a hundred opinions on the "3 nasty hills" and friends who watched last year and how a ton of people were walking up them and I said if nothing else I am not walking any of them.

Ergomo goes out in the first 3 miles and never worked again, super. Felt good the whole way out to the first loop but around 15 miles in my stomach just was feeling something. I kept eating and drinking but my lack of training this year I was trying anything and everything on the course for food and drink. First loop was uneventful and I didn't feel the hills were that tough at all. Got onto second loop and wondered if fatigue would catch up with me. Made it through the hills fine but had been having stomach issues for the last few hours. Just had that "something ain't right" feeling. Got into Verona and was feelin pretty good. 15 miles to go and still avg around 17-17.5 mph.

Then with 10 miles to go, headed down one of the last big hills and at the intersection bottom of the hill....bam, flatted out my front tri spoke. I get off to the side and start the repair. I had lost my gizmo for cutting of my tubular so I am trying to rip it off, not happening. Right then a race official pulls up and asks if I need help. They call in for tech support and say that they are on there way. 45 min later here they come. During that time I would say it was 1 of 3 bikes lost bottles or something going over that stretch of road.

Tech shows up and gives me a new wheel in about 30 sec time and I am back on the road. No more aid stations and I had used up all the aid I had while sitting there. Finish the last 10 miles out and head into T2.

Train for this.
Transition 2
  • 05m 47s
Comments:

got in, put on shoes and hat and was out

speed up a little
Run
  • 5h 44m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Heading out of T2 I felt like I had some legs today. First mile 8:40 and it felt easy. Problem was stomach issues were mounting. Hit the mile marker and I started to walk. Felt like I could puke any minute now. At this point in the day all minimal goals I could have had were gone. Only goal now was to finish and not feel horrible the next day. So the shuffle began. I would run til my stomach would get queezy and then would walk. Miles were getting longer and longer. My mood was okay considering what was happening.

I ended up doing a lot of walking and chatting with others and actually was having a good time especially talking with first timers and listening to people saying how excited they were to see the finish line not even caring how long it took them. Gave me a new appreciation for the Ironman.

Made it to the final aid station and thought the stomach could hold it together enough to slowly jog it in. Hit the line and it was bittersweet. One hand it is the Ironman and I should feel fortuanite that I can do this but on the other hand I just take it for granted and didn't train properly for it. Kept walking through the shoot and saw the wife, kids and inlaws waiting for me. Said my hellos and thank yous and headed over and got some pizza. Wolfed down 3 pieces and bam, my stomach felt fine. Not sure why it was in knots for 10 hours but 3 pieces of pizza and I felt great.
Post race
Warm down:

Went and got bike and bags put them in truck and went to a bar to meet friends. I was feeling great at this point.

Event comments:

So, IM number 4 is in the books. 4 in the last 4 years. Also during this time period we have had our two boys, sold our house, built a new house, had two record years for my business. Not excuses but probably not the best time to get into IM's.

I did IM Lou last August, and I think outside of a pub run in December, May 15 was my first workout since Lou. That day I thought there is no way I would even finish WI much less hit any goals. But training went good and fitness came back fairly fast. My weight was a real issue and a course like WI makes you pay for extra lbs that I was carrying.

So already signed up for CDA in June and hopefully number 5 will be a lucky number. Life is much more stable now, hopefully less distractions and since I have been training for such a small time frame compared to most, we are moving right on to training for next year.

Mentally I feel fresh, I don't hate my bike or the thought of swimming or running. My legs felt great the day after the race and now a week out it there is no pain what so ever. So bring on 2011!

Last updated: 2010-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 183/352
Overall: 1255/
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: 2 loop rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average