Fat Rabbit Racing
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m 9s
Overall Rank = 181/211
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/16
Pre-race routine:

Wokeup....ate spaghetti....drank lots of water. Setup transition, drank lots more water....ate some GU with more water right before the start.
Event warmup:

Waded in the water for 1 minute, jogged the transition from the water to T1, which was 250m.
Swim
  • 22m 56s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim seemed to last forever! I noticed that I started a little too fast, even when i was mindfully trying to swim slow. I breathed every 2 strokes instead of the 3 that i had trained for, probably because of the adrenaline. It is amazing how hard it is to pee and swim at the same time, I had to go most of the course and found it difficult to do so! I got kicked a few times when i tried to round the buoy at the closest point so at the 2nd buoy I stayed farther back.

I started the swim faster than I would have liked and the first buoy did arrive pretty quickly. The back line took forever....this damned course was NOT an even sided triangle! Ah well. Sighting was not too bad since the buoys were very large, but I did get kicked going around the turns.
What would you do differently?:

Relax. Take wider angles around the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 03m 53s
Comments:

Better than I was expecting for a T1. I had everything layed out and was ready to go.

keep more stuff pack in my tri bag. My area was a little too cluttered.
Bike
  • 53m 38s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was very fast. I held a descent pace and was still being passed quite frequently. The downhill on ramp to st rt 315 was very fast and helped me to keep my pace up throughout the backstretch of the course. I was working hard but was able to sustain it, probably because of the adrenaline.

Spend more time doing farleks and accels to prepare for all of those sudden speed increases, like when you summit a small hill.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

T2 felt good, I did not realize I was in there that long. All i did was switch shoes and go.

Nothing, I felt i did a good job on this transition.
Run
  • 37m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was tough as expected. The transition was brickish for the first 400m or so, then it got a little better and I got a stitch in my side for another mile or so. It cleared up and I was just a little tired for most of the rest of the run. Once I seen the finish line I got a huge rush of energy and was able to almost sprint my way for the last 100m. The course was very scenic and enjoyable.

Lose lots of weight and spend more time training for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched...ate a frozen energize....Stretched.....walked my stuff to my car....stretched some more....ate a little more food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First triathlon ever.....did have lots of work to do yet. Did not follow the training schedule perfectly.

Event comments:

Great first triathlon ever!!! Seeing that finish line coming around the curve was one of the most enigmatic experiences of my life. I cannot wait until I do another one! It was amazing how nice everyone is(for the most part), as we were all out there suffering together and encouraging each other to keep up the pace. The atmosphere before the race was one where everyone including myself was extremely nervous, there were many of us who were doing our first tri's. After the race ended, most everyone scattered pretty quickly which was a little disappointing since I wanted to talk to anyone and everyone about their experiences. All in all I had a great time and am looking forward to my 2nd tri in 5 weeks.

Last updated: 2005-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:56 | 750 meters | 03m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 176/211
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto Tri Suit
Course: Antrim Lake was very warm and calm.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:53:38 | 15.53 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 183/16
Overall: 0/211
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Olentangy to 161 to 315 to Henderson exit to Olentangy rd and repeat loop 3 times. It was Flat and Fast!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:17 | 03.11 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 181/211
Performance: Bad
Course: Olentangy bike path - Antrim lake - Olentangy Bike path.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %.5
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes