General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Trumansburg, New York
United States
Ithaca Triathlon Club
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 18m 29s
Overall Rank = 188/228
Age Group = Female 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6, choked down half a bagel with peanut butter and banana. Drove down with Paul and Jill. Actually, I was much more mellow this year... only felt like throwing up once. : )
Event warmup:

Trying to get a wetsuit on is warmup enough for me!
Swim
  • 32m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first swim with the wetsuit and I was a little nervous about that. I also haven't been swimming much, which isn't THAT bad. I wasn't all that worried about it but also didn't want it to completely wipe me out. I got off to an ok start and got in the clear pretty quickly. I was actually really relaxed in the water. Hugged the rope pretty well the whole way. In hindsight, I should have pushed a little more and not been quite SO relaxed since I felt really good coming out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Not be scared to push it a little more on the swim?
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

First thing was to get the wetsuit off. It didn't go badly at first (better than when I ripped it trying it on 3 days before the race). But the darn thing got stuck on my feet and I was just not coordinated enought to get it off my first leg. And my legs were slippery from the Body Glide which didn't help! The extra time gave me time to eat a chewy granola bar though, so that's a good thing.

Just need more practice getting the wetsuit off.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 41s
  • 24.3 miles
  • 16.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm having trouble crtiquing my ride... I felt good going up the monster hill and actually started passing people. This always surprises me since I am usually at the beginning of the pack out of the water. I saw Kevin and the kids just as I was getting to the top of the hill which was awesome. Honestly, I just kept riding along and before I knew it, it was time to make the turn to Sheldrake. That hill back up was a little worse than I remember from last year but not all that bad. The road back down into the park is really getting into bad shape. I was afraid to go too fast down the hills becasuse I didn't want to come across one of those pothills too quickly and lose control. I did hold back a little on the ride, knowing that I still needed to survive the run.

If my run is always going to suck, I should just have a kick a$$ bike ride next year. Why hold back?
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Run
  • 1h 10m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where it all hit the fan. I knew it was going to be bad, being unprepared for the run and having a sore foot/ankle. I started running out of transition and it actually felt ok. I thought for a minute that this was a good sign, that the run was starting off better than last year. By the time I got to mile 2, I was just done. The only thing that held me together in mile 3 was getting to run past all our kids and get high fives. At least I was still a hero in their eyes! The run out for the second loop almost made me cry as I watched others finishing (ok, fine... some of them were sprinters... but still they were DONE). By mile 4 my ankel was throbbing and for the last 2 I didn't even care how long it took me. I just wanted to finish. And then I FINALLY did!

Um... run more. not be injured.
Post race
Warm down:

Chug water. Get some ice cream! Then head back to to house to shower and head to vacation.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of running really killed me this year.

Event comments:

This really is the best race ever. I'm thinking of doing the Sprint again next year though so maybe I can actually smile at the end of it again. I'm guessing come December though, I'll have forgotten enough to sign up for the Long again.

Last updated: 2010-02-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/26
Overall: 80/228
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: This year was just straight out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:41 | 24.3 miles | 16.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/26
Overall: 192/228
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: See map... too long to describe... but a beautiful ride!
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:10:25 | 06.21 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/26
Overall: 212/228
Performance: Bad
Course: Through the park, up the gorge trail and back down, through the park. Repeat. And boy, is that Repeat cruel when the finishing chute is in sight and you have to run right by it and back around again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-21 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Albany, NY
Subject: Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayuga Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed