RacingUnderground
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 49s
Overall Rank = 242/477
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/42
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Denver Saturday morning. Picked up wet suit did a little shopping then checked into the hotel. After checking in we let the kids swim at the pool and then to BenniHannas for Dinner. That was so much fun, food was ok, but I guess the presentation made up for it! Ate way too much! After we got back from dinner had a glass of wine and made sure all of my gear was ready to go.

woke up the next morning at 5:30 am after a fair nights sleep. Ate a packet of oatmeal as we drove to the race. Steve dropped me off at registration a little after 6 am and then took the kids back to the hotel for breakfast. Racked my bike and went to packet pick up. Got marked, set up my transition and was done with all of this by 6:45am. Went for a slow run to warm up, found a bathroom far away with no line and waited. Ate a power bar and waited.... Finally around 7:45 am put on wetsuit and headed down for the swim start. Watched the first wave of men leave and then jumped in the water for a few minutes of swimming to get used to the water. waited some more.... finally... my wave!
Event warmup:

around a 20 minute run and 5 minute swim and 5 minutes stretching. seemed like plenty.
Swim
  • 14m 56s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

stationed myself right in the middle, second row. When gun went off followed the person in front of me. Overall, good swim. Still not used to not being able to see very far in front of me. Sun was in my eyes for the first portion of the swim and could not see the buoys. Had to rely on those around me and seemed to work well (luckily). Also didn't have to raise my head so much as I could see everyone during breathing. Starting seeing different colored caps about half way through and that was encouring. The run up to the transition area was soooo long!!! It was about a 1/8 of a mile? and up 3 sets of stairs. Oh and wet suit strippers rock!!!! They pulled my wet suit off in seconds, much better than my last tri!
What would you do differently?:

nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

This transition went so much smoother than my first tri. Again, wetsuit strippers rock! had rack position memorized and everything out and in place.

buy a tri top. took at least 20 seconds to put on shirt as it was stuck to my wet skin.
Bike
  • 45m 10s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 15.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride - I really liked this course. A few hills, only the big hill did I have to shift out of my highest gears. I think the training on all the hills around home have really paid off! No problems passing people (or being passed) and traffic was very light.

nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Great transition.

nothing!
Run
  • 31m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok run, wanted to go faster but just couldn't make myself go. I wanted to run it under 30 minutes, so I was only 1 minute off. Was able to really pick it up the last 1/4 mile so I wonder if I could have gone faster? Hilly course and it was hot. I was 1 minute faster than the last tri in July so I did make some progress.

run more!
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a handful of ice and dropped it down my shirt - ahhhh...

Walked around with family and tried to find some shade. Picked up SWAG bag and bbq. Didn't stick around for long, went back to hotel packed, checked out and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough training?

Event comments:

Overall good race. No activities or drink availability for spectators. Kids were bored as their was no playground (or shade).

Last updated: 2010-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:56 | 750 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/42
Overall: 99/477
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra fusion full sleeve
Course: out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:10 | 11.5 miles | 15.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/42
Overall: 292/477
Wind: Little
Course: The course was actually longer than 11.5. Race director later told us it was more and I have a 17 mph average listed on the race report rather that 16. Great course. some low rolling hills with one substanial hill at almost the turn around around mile 5.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:00 | 03.11 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/42
Overall: 335/477
Performance: Average
10:09/ 9.53/ 10:44
Course: rolling hills. part pavement and part hardpack dirt path. hot, no wind.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-21 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

2010-09-21 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3110888

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: RE: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon
Great race, congratulations!  Tritop under the wetsuit is definitely the way to go, much simpler.  BTW the actual bike distance was 12.9, they forgot to mark the right turn at the bottom of that one hill on the return.  Your average speed just got even better  
2010-09-22 7:56 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
We would all like to run faster.   Nice job running a minute faster than your last tri! looks like the swim is your strong event!  yea, that run up the stairs wasn't fun.  and Steve's right, the course was off by about 1.4 miles.  If you ever do a triathlon at CC rez again, bring a bucket and shovel for the kids to play in the sand.  Otherwise, they do get bored. 
2010-09-22 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Thanks !!! I checked out your RRs as well - you two really kicked butt!  Too bad neither of you won the wheels that would of been sweet!
2010-09-23 4:37 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Looks like an incredible race for you.  Congratulations!  Your swim was a nice strong pace and your under 10 minutes a mile on your run.  Pretty good.  Now you have good motivation to get faster.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed