General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble getting my workouts in Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-22 2:16 PM

Subject: Trouble getting my workouts in
I signed up for An olympic distance tri but I just cant seem to get up early enough to get all the workouts in. Anyone been through this or have any advice? Thanks!

2010-09-22 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3112402

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Trouble getting my workouts in
I've gone through this every day for the past 3.5 years that I've been in this sport.  There's never enough time and life will always find a way to get in the way.  Do what you can and don't sweat it if you miss a workout here and there.  This is supposed to be fun!

That being said, if you're missing half or more of your workouts, you may want to rethink whether you have the time or discipline needed...
2010-09-22 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Here's my advice: Make sure you are getting up the same time every day.
I was swimming over the winter M-W-F really early, and it killed me. Once I started doing something EVERY day at that hour, it was much easier.
2010-09-22 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Mornings are tough for me, and my work schedule (11am to 8pm-1 hr commute each way) really demands AM workouts! Basically you have to decide on your priorities and level of commitment and be honest with yourself about them: consistency is important, IMO it is better to schedule fewer workouts and do them consistently than to schedule more and do less.
It is also about forming a habit-force yourself to start moving for a few Weeks and you find it is easier to do over time.
Be real about your own personality-I have always been a night owl, less so now than when I was younger but if you look at my logs you seel allot of weeknight runs and rides in the 8-9pm range.partly because I get off work at 8pm. I reserve the mornings for breakfast with my wife and whatever else we need to do.
 I am considering working in mid-day workouts, such as a short swim at a local pool or maybe a run in the neighborhood near by-we don't have shower facilities but I can clean up pretty good-and fast in a sink. Some days my schedule allows me this freedom, however it is not predictable or consistent.
 I have noticed that I almost always resist getting started and sort of dread the workout-until I start, then I end up wondering what my problem was and glad I started!
 Next season, if I pursue triathlons I will by necessity have to add AM swims and runs, just the way it is.
2010-09-22 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
You don't have to do your workouts early.  Fit them in your schedule when you can.  I'm not a morning person so I do mine after work.  It's not unusual for me to be finishing a workout at 9:30pm.
2010-09-22 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

we all go thru problems like this from time to time ... i did myself this year for IM Germany

The key is three fold (IMHO)...

1.  Try and get into a routine so you hit mores sessions
  2.  Always make sure you get your 3/4 key sessions in each week .. key run, bike, swim and a brick and make them count ... other sessions are filler but the bread and butter are the key sessions so if you miss one of these adjust your schedule accordingly
  3.  Train smart and use otherwise dead time to train (commutes. lunch times, tv time etc)

Good luck

2010-09-22 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Do what you can, when you can.

Some people get up early, others work out after work or at lunch. 

I like to run every day at lunch and have shower facilities at work, so that works for me. Twice a week I swim in the mornings and do evening bike rides.

Work it into your schedule the best you can.

2010-09-22 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond
Vegasmichael7654 - 2010-09-22 2:16 PM I signed up for An olympic distance tri but I just cant seem to get up early enough to get all the workouts in. Anyone been through this or have any advice? Thanks!

Also keep in mind that something is infinitely better than nothing.  Don't discount a 10-20 minute run with a few strides or a quick spin with 10 minutes hard or or or.... the possibilities are endless.

I see many folks who when faced with a 75 minute workout but only 45 minutes of free time, will just bag the whole thing.  Crazy IMO.  Improvise. Shorten the warm-up, shorten the cool down, fewer intervals, whatever needs to be done.

If you want it bad enough, you will find the time. Working with a coach could help as well. 

BTW - I have not figured out how to get the sig I want yet so here is my disclaimer:

I coach for a living. It is my full time job. I get paid for bike fits, training plans, etc. I am also the co-developer of a 12 week swim program called, Finding Freestyle. You may hear me mention it. Some of it is free and some of it is for sale. It can be found here:

http://www.findingfreestyle.com/ 

2010-09-22 3:53 PM

Master
, California
Working with a coach could help as well.

Hah I misread that as couch at first glance.  I'm plenty good at that! 
2010-09-22 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
in the land of hills
Vegasmichael7654 - 2010-09-22 2:16 PM I signed up for An olympic distance tri but I just cant seem to get up early enough to get all the workouts in. Anyone been through this or have any advice? Thanks!

Do your workouts HAVE to be in the morning? You may need to get creative to find a way to fit them in.

For example, I have access to a gym at work, so most of my workouts are done there (spin class, running and weights). But ocassionaly I will get an hour on a weeknight to swim in addition to an hour on Sat or Sun. Sat and Sundays mornings are also when I get my long bikes and or long runs in. If weekends get crazy sometimes I have to cancel a swim or bike and just stick to a run because I have one or both of the kids (who end up in the jogging stroller ) while my husband has his stuff going on.

I have 2 young kids and work 40 hours a week plus a 40 min commute each way and I find a way to get my workouts in 6 days a week. Sometimes it means going to plan B and getting only 30 mins in instead of an hour, but it is far better than nothing and it keeps me committed to the plan
2010-09-22 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3112683

User image

Champion
Dave Luscan - 2010-09-22 2:51 PM

Also keep in mind that something is infinitely better than nothing.  Don't discount a 10-20 minute run with a few strides or a quick spin with 10 minutes hard or or or.... the possibilities are endless.

I see many folks who when faced with a 75 minute workout but only 45 minutes of free time, will just bag the whole thing.  Crazy IMO.  Improvise. Shorten the warm-up, shorten the cool down, fewer intervals, whatever needs to be done.

If you want it bad enough, you will find the time. Working with a coach could help as well. 

BTW - I have not figured out how to get the sig I want yet so here is my disclaimer:

I coach for a living. It is my full time job. I get paid for bike fits, training plans, etc. I am also the co-developer of a 12 week swim program called, Finding Freestyle. You may hear me mention it. Some of it is free and some of it is for sale. It can be found here:

http://www.findingfreestyle.com/ 

Dave, funny you mention that if you want it you'll find a way. I hate, HATE training in the morning. I can stand riding then "if" i make it up, but have never had a good run or swim then. in fact i've done probably half my running over the past two years after 9pm, some as late as 1am.

I actually started sleeping in later, and working out more in the late afternoon and night, and it's been awesome. get a midday swim in, afternoon bike, and evening run, work in the morning, and between each workout during teh day!!

(but like you i coach triathlon and rowing, so it helps a lot scheduling wise).

2010-09-22 11:52 PM
in reply to: #3112443

User image

Extreme Veteran
ahohl - 2010-09-23 4:28 AM Here's my advice: Make sure you are getting up the same time every day.
I was swimming over the winter M-W-F really early, and it killed me. Once I started doing something EVERY day at that hour, it was much easier.

I'm partial to this.  I get up at 4a every day whether I ride to work or drive to work and whether or not I have a run/swim workout queued up.  I also don't get up much later than 6a most weekends (although sometimes it is later, but not often and not by much).  Get your body used to being up at certain times and you'll get there.

But some people hate morning training.  Personally I find it gets me in the right mindset for the day and by lunch (my second workout) I'm ready to go again and finish out the day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trouble getting my workouts in Rss Feed