General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner 2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/22
Pre-race routine:

First tri, up at 4am ate half a box of nutrigrain waffles , and a bananna.
Got in the car to hear "lonesome loser" on the radio. Got to the highway, and remembered my bike shoes were still at home. Lets try this again.
Event warmup:

walking around. no real warm up.
Swim
  • 14m 27s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was so unlike the lap pool. This was my second ows, and first tri.There were only 22 in our group and it still seemed crazy. I went way to the outside to find some clean water to swim in, prob added a good bit to the overall distance, but I dont think I would have been able to handle that mess in the pack.My nice pool swim form went all to pot in the first 25m I doubt I had my head in the water for 2 strokes the first few hundred meters just way way slower trying to sight.Wow. After rounding the far bouy it was like I went blind, the sun was directly on the water, I had clear goggles on and couldnt see anything. Found someone nearby to follow the rest of the way.
What would you do differently?:

TINTED GOGGLES, I would hope they would cut the glare enough to see a bouy.
Allow a few more strokes before sighting. Way off my normal pace by a longshot for this swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I used socks, had them rolled down but wet feet still didnt want to slide in, had to slow down and try it twice before getting into the bike shoes. Then the ratchet on my road shoes was tricky to close up.

Ditch the road shoes for some tri specific shoes.
Bike
  • 35m 7s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Had some trouble getting clipped in at the mount line, but didnt fall, or get in the way so it all worked out. I did have the bike in too small of a gear I think so I didnt get far enough with each pedal.

Practice clipping in and riding up a hill at the same time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

I think I did ok here with what I had. I was lucky to have lots of room to rack the bike. I kept my bike shoes on all the way to the rack, I guess thats the slow way to get there. Using laces on the running shoes, and trying to shoe horn my feet in.

I tried yanks, but they really didnt work for me. Finding another type of lace may help, but I still was able to get my feet into the running shoes with normal laces tied up. They were a little loose though.
Run
  • 29m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I was terrified of the run. I have Plantar Facitis in both feet now for 18months and was certian if I ran any amount it would return full force and Id be limping around for another year. I havent done any running at all for over a year, previous training runs before plantar f were between 5-10mi day, 8min pace. I wound up doing a slow jog the entire way, running in the grass whenever I could. Very excited to have done the run without walking!! I was near last in age group, but to me it was a huuuggggeee mental victory over plantar facitis. Finally I felt like I was in charge of pf, not pf in charge of me. What a great day!!

Nothing, it was a great time, loved every second of it out there.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and stretched for a long time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Plantar Facitis, and being new to the whole tri thing. I had a good amount left in the bank for the swim and bike, could have gone a good bit quicker I think.

Event comments:

Had a blast, got home and Becks "loser" was playing on the radio. Ha, someones trying to tell me something...

Last updated: 2010-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:27 | 656 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: na
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:07 | 11.2 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/22
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: This course was so much fun. I had a blast on this route! I wanted to stay after the event and ride it again!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:25 | 03.1 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/22
Performance: Bad
Course: Great run course, some hills and dirt roads
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-24 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner 2
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Triathlon - John Tanner 2 Rss Feed