BuDu Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 3s
Overall Rank = 10/548
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at around 5:00, and downed some oatmeal and egg whites, as per typical. Headed over to my parents' house, as I would be doing this race with my dad. We packed up, headed to the course in Issaquah, and got there right around 6:20-6:30, just in time for packet pickup. Got our stuff and headed into transition to setup, which was just dandy.
Swim
  • 05m 3s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, there’s absolutely no way the swim was 400m, which was alright, I guess. Blows my mind how many people do an event like this, though, and don’t bother to prepare for swimming in the least. I broke free of the rest of the pack, and I think I was leading heading into the first buoy, and then somebody grabbed my leg, and another guy (not the one who grabbed me) broke free. I was content to just put in a good effort, as shortly thereafter (maybe 3min into the swim) we ran into the wave in front of us. Really? I’m going twice as fast (if not faster?)? Oh well. Hopped out of the water with a guy I had sized up in my AG (who was on the same rack as me), and we headed to transition. All-in-all, probably lost about 20-30 seconds because of my inability to keep swimming around people; need to practice more!
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder. Definitely could've gone 10 seconds faster at least if I had actually pushed myself, and wasn't afraid of hyperventilation.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Wetsuit got stuck on my feet, and I realized I had put my timing chip OVER the foot… D’oh! All the while, the AG guy I had marched into T1 with was getting further away. I probably lost 30-40 seconds on him in T1; it’ll get better!

Need to practice transitions.
Bike
  • 38m 18s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 22.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I had been putting a lot of miles on the bike, and was eagerly anticipating this race, to compare to my Lake Samish sprint stint from a few weeks prior, and the Lake Meridian Olympic seven days before. It got off to an auspicious start, as there is essentially a no-passing zone for the first two miles, and I was stuck going 21 on flats, but once it straightened out, I was able to start cruising. I passed probably 100 people over the course of the bike, and wasn’t passed once. Besides a gear-changing hitch on the single hill of the course, I couldn’t have performed better. Right after the turnaround, I passed the AG guy I had been tracking since the start of the race, and figuring we were duking it out for top prize, put myself in the hurt cave to pass him. Looking at my splits, I averaged something like a 23.7 for the second half of the bike, and felt absolutely awesome coming into T2.

Not get stuck behind slow people? Get better at gearing too.
Transition 2
  • 00m

Kind of sucked it up a little bit here. Got my shoes on fine, but then started fiddling around with my Garmin (which I couldn’t pop on to my wrist), and I couldn’t close my racing belt for whatever reason. My AG competitor came into transition about 20-30 seconds behind me, and left at least 5 seconds ahead of me. D’oh.
Run
  • 19m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty straightforward run through some sweet fields. Caught my AG competitor right away, and started pushing hard. Again, I passed a TON of people in prior waves, without getting passed myself. Kept myself around 6:00-6:10 miles for the first two and a half miles, but eventually I passed the last person within a minute of me, and with a half mile to go, completely lost motivation to kill myself. Crossed the line with it reading 1:12:XX, and knew I had scored myself a pretty sweet time.Run splits mixed with my T2, so I'm guesstimating a 19:30, which makes sense based on the gap to the AG guy I passed.

Motivate myself to run harder... hard to do when there was nobody near me, but I need to keep the wave concept in mind. I might've been able to catch the guy in front of me.
Post race
Warm down:

Nada. Changed right away, and ate some PB+Js. Awesome!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe sleep, and training time. Congestion (swim and bike) might have cost me a minute or two, and I should be able to cut a minute on transitions, but other than that, not a whole lot to do.

Event comments:

Well set-up course, and lots of food at the finish. Awards was pretty cool too, but a TON of timing screwups which kind of annoyed me. I would've liked to know my run split. Good race though, will do it again next year to compare times!

Last updated: 2010-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:03 | 400 meters | 01m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 28/548
Performance:
Suit: DeSoto T1
Course: Triangle loop in Lake Sammamish, going counter-clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:38:18 | 14.5 miles | 22.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 11/548
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on shoulder of road; one hill in the middle of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:30 | 03.1 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/548
Performance: Good
Course: Pancake flat run through fields and park area and stuff. Nice.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes