General Discussion Race Reports! » The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hull, Massachusetts
United States
The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 42s
Overall Rank = 5/468
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up just a couple minutes before my alarm went off which is always nice. Had a couple bananas and some orange waiting for my Dad to come pick me up. Got to the race nice and early and saw some friends/teammates, including my new BT buddy Mike. Great to meet you Mike!
Event warmup:

Got out for about a 10 minute ride and found out how terrible the condition of the roads were in. Also went for a little over a 1 mile run, mostly on the beach. Lastly got a quick swim, but probably only did about 100 yards, if that.
Swim
  • 04m 17s
  • 440 yards
  • 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

As you can see from the pace, this clearly wasn't a quarter mile. The waves were extremely small, almost non existent, so it was much easier than last year. Since the swim was so short, there was a lot of traffic. I had to slow up significantly one time because there was a guy I was right next to veering off the wrong way from the buoy. Besides that, the swim was rather uneventful. I did push pretty hard since the swim was so short.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. Hope not to get caught up with other swimmers is about it.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Had a pretty solid T1. I think there was about 5 of us that entered T1 about the same time and I came out first so that was good. My wetsuit did get caught of my left ankle slightly, but not bad.

Did a great job jumping on the bike and got up to speed very well.

Not much. Just keep working on being faster.
Bike
  • 26m
  • 10 miles
  • 23.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Not thrilled with my ride. I was planning to average at least 310 watts and didn't even break 280! My HR was pretty high so I didn't want to push too hard and blow up on the run. I did do a 3:45 ride on Thursday and a 3:00 ride Saturday so I think my legs may have been a bit tired although they didn't feel that bad.

I actually had a pretty good little scare at the turn around. I started to pedal while I was still angled down quite low and I hit my left pedal on the road. Luckily I just kinda bounced upright and just kept on going. That definitely could have been a lot worse.

The road were in terrible condition. It was really difficult to get in a grove because I felt like I was bouncing around constantly.

Push a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

T2 went well as usual. Dismounted very well, got my shoes on very quick so it went great.

Nothing
Run
  • 18m 54s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, happy with my run. My focus on my form has been really helping. I pushed it quite hard and came very close to pulling off 4th overall (at that point, I thought it was 3rd because a guy beat me from another wave). I came in to T2 about 10-15 seconds behind Joe Hardin, one of the elites. As we headed out, I was slowly gaining on him and passed him before the water stop. I continued to gain ground on him and thought I had him. However, as the finish line got closer, about a half mile out, he started gaining on me. I'm quite happy with my pacing and kept it quite consistent. Apparently my Garmin doesn't do mile splits when its in multisport mode. Gotta fix that. I tried to hang with him, but I just didn't have enough in the tank. I didn't drink anything on the run and I'm curious if I would have benefited from doing so. Nonetheless, I had no cramping issues so was very happy with that.

Keep working on my form and getting faster! Also take in some light fluids.
Post race
Warm down:

Not too much. I walked around quite a bit and watched my friends finish my mom and my brother.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm sure the training volume this week didn't help as I didn't taper whats so ever, but I still felt pretty good out there.

Event comments:

I really like this race and they do a great job organizing it. However, the roads for the bike course really need to be redone. That's my only complaint.

The conditions were much better than last year, but I did improved my time from last year by 6:40! I figured I was going to improve, but didn't plan on shaving off that much time.

I'm happy with my results, but was most happy that my brother came to watch. Its the first triathlon he's ever been to and he told me he has a new respect for what I do and for triathlons, which made me very happy to hear to say the least. :)

Last updated: 2010-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:17 | 440 yards | 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 12/468
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix full
Course: Out and back around a buoy
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:49
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:00 | 10 miles | 23.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 9/468
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 181 Max HR: 187 Avg Power: 277
Wind: Some
Course: Extremely flat out and back loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:54 | 03 miles | 06m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 12/468
Avg HR: 186 Max HR: 191
Course: Out and back beach run. My Garmin had 3.07 miles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-26 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon

2010-09-26 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3118526

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Subject: RE: The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon
Colin,
Way to rock this course. 5th overall is damn impressive, and almost on the overall podium. That run is really getting fast! I wish I could have been out there with you guys today, but my legs were still a little sore from yesterday's race.
We definitely should find a time that we can meet up soon.
2010-09-27 7:29 AM

User image

Great race again Colin.  23mph is an impressive speed on that horrible road and your running pace is even more impressive. Great day for NEMS all around.
2010-09-27 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Congrats on the race, Colin. Great job. Enjoyed meeting you and the other guys yesterday. Good luck at IMAZ!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Fantastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon Rss Feed