Mountain Man Events
76?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 17s
Overall Rank = 159/290
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and had some water, banana, & cereal bar. Drove to the race site and was able to easily park and rack my bike/set up my transition area calmly (not like my last tri!). Very good start to the day.
Event warmup:

I was able to get in the lake and swim around nice and easy for about 20 mins before my wave started. That was great because I felt very warmed up before the swim start.
Swim
  • 18m 11s
  • 750 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided to wear my wetsuit even though it was warm. I just like it I guess. I thought it was a good swim but I could have gone a lot harder. For the 1st half of the race, I got caught up in a group of people I could not manage to get around. I was just trying not to get kicked in the face, so that made me a bit cautious. Once I past the 1st bouy and past the congestion, I was able to speed up a bit and follow some feet.

I started passing some yellow caps (the men's sprint group who was the wave ahead of mine) so I knew I was doing ok (haha even if they were the guys breast stroking). I felt I did better the 2nd half of the swim but still could have gone harder.
What would you do differently?:

In conclusion, I need to push myself and position myself better in the start. I worry about going to hard and gasping for breath. I worry about getting kicked. So I hold back. But I know I'm a better swimmer than I show myself to be in these races.
Transition 1
  • 04m 22s
Comments:

The run from the beach to tranistion was ROCKY! Ouch. I had to stop running because the stones were hurting my feet. I still fumble around a lot, so I should practice this.

Maybe leave my flip flops at the edge of the lake like I saw some people do. Also, I need to just hustle more. I def look forward to getting a tri suit (I still pull a jersey over my sports bra) and learning how to get into my shoes while riding the bike (I still put them on in transition & clip in while mounting the bike)
Bike
  • 46m 47s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty happy with this bike. I can tell I'm becoming a better rider. I was very comfortable with my gear changes. I started out pushing myself really good. I passed a lot of people. There was one lady who past me, then I passed her. We did this a few times. She finally won when we got to an uphill climb about 2/3 through the course (saw her again on the run & we waved to each other). I did not push as hard as I should have at the end (sometimes it's hard when you can see you'll be climbing for a while), but overall I was cool with this bike.

Push myself harder even when I know I'm going uphill.
Transition 2
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

It was a little hard to run with the bike because transition was a little crowded and I didn't want to run into anyone. Also, I changed out of my bike jersey and threw on a running shirt with my race number pinned to it. I was glad I wore my fuel belt & had water on me, but I didn't realize that the strap was not properly adjusted, so I fooled around with that for a good minute.

Make sure my fuel belt strap in adjusted. Also, not changing shirts (another reason to get a tri suit & race belt)
Run
  • 33m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was ok. The 1st half was all uphill and the beginning of that was somewhat steeper and then it became more gradual. Coming out of transition, I felt like I was moving in slow motion. But I was passing people so I thought "Well, I guess I am moving even though it doesn't feel like it." After the turn around, it was a nice downhill run back. I brought my fuel belt and was very happy that I had water with me on this run as there was no shade. I also took a gel as I was leaving transition.

I knew I was not going to break 30 minutes for this 5K after about a mile into it. I was just going to slow up the hill. However, I wasn't dissappointed since I've had a big dip in my running training the past month due to going back to work. I was actually just happy that I was able to run the thing at a decent pace for me.
I also wore my HR monitor which helped me a lot with pacing and deciding how much physical effort to exert.

Nothing. I was very happy I was able to run the whole 5K considering my lack of run training over the past month.
Going into my next tri, I will be better trained.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Had some water and 2 popsicles. I LOVED that they had popsicles. It did a great job cooling me down. I might have to buy some and eat them after training. Low cal and good for cooling you down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The 15 extra pounds I still have to lose? My inconsistent training over the past month? Those are the only things I can think of.

There is a question here about a massage. Haha. I wish. I left the race site to do a bunch of errands (grocery shopping, etc).

Event comments:

Overall, good race. I really want to do this one again next year.

Last updated: 2010-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:11 | 750 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/290
Performance: Average
Suit: x terra
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:47 | 12.43 miles | 15.94 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Fairly flat for the area, rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:36 | 03.11 miles | 10m 48s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 1st 1.5 miles was uphill, with a steep climb in the beginning. After the turn around, it was downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-26 11:51 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Las Vegas Triathlon

2010-09-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3118804

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: Las Vegas Triathlon
WTG!!! I didn't realize we both were in the same AG!  I did eh, bad on the run...bummer. But whatever!  I had fun! 

Awesome splits! Yeah, it's totally valuable to get Tri suit! :-)

Are you doing any more races this year?  Hope one day we can do some training together!  
2010-10-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3118804

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: Las Vegas Triathlon
Wooohooo Jackie - awesome job!  sounds like you had fun.  I know what you mean about switching out shirts - I did this after the swim into a bike jersey and since I was wet it of course stuck and took a good 20 sec. to get it on.  I just need to find a tri-top that doesn't make me look like a stuffed sausage! I look forward to hearing about your oly coming up!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Triathlon Rss Feed