XTERRA
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 29m 7s
Overall Rank = 182/292
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 24/28
Pre-race routine:

Had a poor night sleep due to anxiety. I woke up several times during the night, tossed and turned. Finally, decided to get out of bed at 5am. Ate a protein bar, banana, and coffee before the three hour window. Got all my stuff together and set off for the drive up to Pineview Reservoir from Ogden.
Event warmup:

None. Drove to Snowbasin and set up T2. Then drove back down to Pineview Reservoir to set up T1. Got body marked. First race were they used stamps instead of hand scribblings. Got my swim cap. Went to the restroom. Tried to keep calm for the remaining hour before the race. Not so easy! I got in the water and flushed my suit about5 minutes before the race.
Swim
  • 33m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well... first of all, I heard several people voice that the course was set long. While I'm not a strong swimmer, I usually average around 1:35 to 1:50 per 100. It doesn't really matter though, the course was the same for all; I just think my swim was better than the time is reflecting.

Made one big mistake though, I forgot my tinted goggles. The first buoy was set directly into the sun. With clear goggles, I was blind heading out from the start. However, after making the first turn, the rest of the course was clear.

Swim was a mass start. I decided to position myself toward the back of group. I let the mass take off and followed behind. I was amazed that I was able to find clear water in a pack of three hundred. This really helped to calm my anxiety and let me get into a groove. Since I couldn't see the buoy, I just made sure that I had people on both sides of me to keep me on course. For the most part the swim was uneventful with the exception of a few punches and kicks.

Pretty crazy to see a helicopter above you when you turn your head to breathe or raise to sight.
What would you do differently?:

Need to be more organized and remember all my equipment!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I had a little trouble gettin my arms out of my suit on the run. No big deal though as it didn't cost me any time since I had time to spare before reaching transition. No trouble locating rack position. Helmet on, lower part of suit off, socks on, grabbed the bike and ran for the chute.

Exiting T1 was tough as it went directly into singletrack. I caught my thigh on the saddle as I went to jump on the bike. I had to keep running and jump a second time. No problem getting my feet into my shoes, but had to wait until the singletrack opened up to secure my straps on the shoes.

I need to practice my transitions on singletrack. I've always practiced on the road where I have more room. This is the first time I can think of where I missed the mount.
Bike
  • 2h 04m 42s
  • 18.75 miles
  • 9.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Not much to say here. I didn't want to ride too hard and be miserable on the run. But, even at my achieved pace, I was ready to get of the bike by the time I reached T2.

Course terrain was rocky with some water bars, tree roots, bridges, and wooden stairs to drop over off one of the bridges. The descending was really fun; there just wasn't that much of it!

Being a slower swimmer, I always end up with the task of manuevering around slower riders on the singletrack. Not much I can do here except wait my time and pass when possible. Got stuck behind a slower rider in the switchbacks who wouldn't relent his position costing me and several other riders a couple of minutes. In one turn, the guy locked up in front of me causing me to slow way down. The guy behind me ran into my side, but I was still able to make the switchback by leaning into him.

I had some mechanical problems with my rear derailleur. Not really a big issue, just a bit of an annoyance. I wasn't able to adjust the tension well enough while riding, so I just altered my shifting.

I need to force myself to drink more. When my HR gets elevated into Zone 4 and above, I have a hard time drinking water and nutrient.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went well. No issues getting my feet out of my shoes while riding. Running dismount was a little tough because of the group at the chute. Spotted my rack position easily, Helmet off, shoes on, started moving to the exit with running belt, gel bottle, and visor in hand.

For some reason, I fumbled with my shoes. I had trouble with the tongues. I might need to loosen the lacing a little.
Run
  • 50m 37s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Good. I started with a slower pace to get my legs moving and gradually increased speed. I was able to keep my momentum up the long climb without walking. Once on the singletrack, I was able to get down around a 7:30 mile for the next couple of miles. Climbs dropped me to about a 10:30 to 11 minute pace. I was really happy with my descents. I was able to keep my hips forward over my feet and fall in control. This allowed me to maintain pace with braking.

I've had diminished running volume for most of the year. I just need to shake off the injuries and get back on my running game. I'm really looking forward to a few weeks of no running.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, walking, then Recoverite.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Decreased training volume due to injuries.

Event comments:

The only think I would like to see different is maybe wave starts to eliminate some of the congestion on the single track climb through Wheeler Canyon. Or, maybe I just need to suck it up and become a faster swimmer!

I just made my goal of coming in under 3:30. All in all, a very good experience for me. I look forward to returning next year in the 40-44 age group division. No worlds this year, but that is on the agenda for next year too.

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:48 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/28
Overall: 28/292
Performance: Average
Swim time includes T1.
Suit: 2XU V:1
Course: Two laps set clockwise around three buoys.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:04:42 | 18.75 miles | 9.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/28
Overall: 140/292
Performance: Good
I know the time looks slow, but consider these times: Stoltz averaged 13.2 and the winner of my AG averaged 10.5. This course was all climb at elevation.
Wind: None
Course: Course climbed from Pineview Reservoir to Snowbasin via Wheeler Canyon. Once at Snowbasin, the course climbed agained up the face of the ski slopes. Overall, I would estimate the course consisted on 80 percent climbing with the remainder consisting of technical singletrack descent.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:37 | 06 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/28
Overall: 147/292
Course: Right out of transition, course had a gentle ascent, dry creek crossing to break your cadence, then the biggest climb the course had to offer. After the climb, course turned to rolling singletrack for the next couple of miles. Terrain was really rocky and footing was an issue. Miles four and five offerred a couple more climbs, but not as substantial as the first. The course finished with a welcomed fire road descent to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: XTERRA USA Championships

2010-09-28 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3119584

User image

Ogden, Utah
Subject: RE: XTERRA USA Championships
Thanks for putting up this race report! I was doing the kayak races on the Ogden River this weekend and was unable to check out the Xterra race. Sounds like fun; I might even get the courage to do this next year!
2010-09-29 10:01 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Great report! Congrats on some very respectable times.  Awesome race. 

It is nice to read about others Xterra experience.  Not many off-road folks on this forum.
2010-09-30 9:02 AM

User image

St. George
Nice report! This was my first tri.. I just did the sport. It was a gorgeous day for a race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA USA Championships Rss Feed