General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HPF Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 58m 17s
Overall Rank = 102/131
Age Group = XL3
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Bagel, Banana, and Balance Bar about 60-90 minutes pre-race. Tried to hydrate.
Event warmup:

Just tried to stay warm, which was impossible after heading down to the beach in just my trisuit and cap.
Swim
  • 15m 39s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Nothing to write home about. Water felt very warm after standing on the beach freezing. Very easy to spot most of the race until the final stretch when the sun started to glare. There was a small patch of some big waves, but it didn't give me any trouble.
What would you do differently?:

Focus more on more bilateral breathing and try to push a harder on the swim. I'm always worried about pushing too hard on the swim, but I have a feeling I could handle a lot more than what I currently do.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

T1 felt like it took forever. Very glad I decided to put bandaids on my nipples in T1. Had some trouble pulling my socks on. Quick bite of a balance bar before hoping on the bike.

Need to figure out faster way to get socks and shoes on. Also probably spend more time drying than necessary.
Bike
  • 1h 30m 49s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Brutal headwind on the NE sections, felt like I couldn't go anywhere into the wind. On the second loop I was unable to shift into the lowest chainring on the hills at the end, so I had to stand up and grind up the hills in a higher gear than I would have liked to. Grabbed a Hammer Gel at the start of the second loop. Went down alright, but didn't care for the consistency of it. It also made my right hand a bit sticky which was annoying.

I think I had more in me on the bike, but it's still definitely where I have plenty of room for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Wore difference shoes for the bike and run, so T2 took a little time switching my tennis shoes. Took a bite of a balance bar and took off running.

Probably would be better to have some GU or something else to eat during the race, but I just worked with what I knew my stomach could handle and I had available.
Run
  • 1h 07m 3s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

First 2-3 miles felt terrible, and I was probably moving at an 11:00 min/mile pace or slower (or at least it felt like it). Around mile 3 or so I finally settled into a quick pace probably more in the 9:30 or faster range and was able to keep that up with a sprint to the finish. Oddly enough, I've found that the faster pace actually feels more comfortable and less painful in the legs. Stopped to use the restroom at the start of the run and around the 4.5 mark.

Force a faster pace earlier on even if I don't think I can handle it. I'm sure I would been fine, but mentally I think I was afraid of ending up walking if I pushed too hard early on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled around, ate some free food. Had a bit of a coughing fit/sore throat a few minutes after the run, which I attributed to breathing heavily in cooler/dryer air than I'm used to.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of confidence in my ability to maintain a faster pace after the bike.

Event comments:

Great place for a race, little to no traffic on any of the roads. A couple of rough surface roads, but otherwise it was great. I've not done any triathlons other than HFP's but I'm very impressed with how they run an event.

Last updated: 2010-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:39 | 1000 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 36/131
Performance: Average
Suit: Aero Tech Designs Trisuit
Course: Clockwise course from the beach, sort of started in the middle of the long leg.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:30:49 | 24.8 miles | 16.38 mile/hr
Overall: 98/131
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loops on country roads around the state park. One stretch had a rough surface, but the rest was fine. Two good hills near the end of the loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:07:03 | 06.55 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 112/131
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Started on road, then into the grass for a short ways and over the dam and then back onto roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Springfield, OH
Subject: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Olympic
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Olympic Rss Feed