Carol Stream Park District
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 28m 55s
Overall Rank = 20/67
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up and asked myself, for the fourth time this year, why I keep signing up for races on days that it's pouring rain. Ate a quick bowl of Raisin Bran Crunch and drove the 4 miles to the park district.
Event warmup:

Hung out in the bathroom attached to the old pool because it was warm, dry and there was plenty of room where the lockers used to be to stretch and walk around. Threw my sweatshirt in the car on the way to the start line in the cold, drenching rain and moved to the front because it looked like most of the folks were planning on walking.
Run
  • 28m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I went out a little too hard. It was hard to pace based on HR when I was freezing and zig zagging to avoid the deeper puddles and fallen branches. I felt cold and heavy the whole time, likely because I was cold and carrying several extra pounds from the water that had soaked into every fiber of my clothes. At one point I had to slow down because I had so much water dripping into my eyes that I couldn't see whether I was at the turn or not.

I finally settled into my pace about half way through but never did get my heart rate settled enough to guess at my pace so I just kept slogging through the misery. I passed several women and was only passed by one so I felt pretty good about that. For how I was feeling I should have had a PR but the rain just knocked me on my @ss time wise.

By the time I could see the finish line I was ready to quit and walk it in because I knew I'd missed my PR, I was soaked and feeling pretty awful but I knew my family was there and didn't want them to feel like they'd come out for nothing. When I rounded the final turn my 7 and 2 year olds saw me and started screaming their heads off. My little dude ran right up to the edge of the path with a huge smile yelling "Mama, you runn'in! You runn'in!" and as soon as I crossed the finish line he gave me an enormous hug even though he usually won't come near me when I'm wet (from rain, sweat or shower). That moment, holding him with my daughter hugging my waist and a volunteer telling me that they'd been cheering for me long before I was in sight made it all worthwhile.Hung
What would you do differently?:

Stay in bed.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out in the tent eating a bagel and cheering in the rest of the runners and walkers with the family. Hubs got my sweatshirt from my car and held an umbrella over my head until I was ready to go. At home he started the shower for me then took the kids downstairs to let me relax. What a man!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold and rain.

Event comments:

There were a few glitches, but this was the first year for this race so I'm cutting them a lot of slack. Considering their inexperience and the awful weather I think they did a great job and I'm looking forward to running this again next year.

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:55 | 03.11 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 20/67
Performance: Below average
Course: Figure 8 around the park district lakes with just one short out and back stretch alongside the third lake of the chain. Mostly flat with a few steep but short (like 30') inclines. Oh, and wet. Slippery and soggy and full of puddles and mud.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes