United States
Premier Event Management
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 41m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We drove to my parents house in Aiken on Saturday morning after my wife got off work. We left the kids with my Mom and my Dad, my wife and I went to Augusta to pick up my packet and drop the bike off. After dropping the bike off we drove the course. The roads looked good and I didn't see any major hills.
Event warmup:

My wave wasn't scheduled to leave until 08:50, but transition was going to close @ 07:15. I started my drive to Augusta shortly after 5. I ate a PB&J and sipped on some fluids. It took about 15 minutes to set up my transition area. I walked down to the swim start and tried to go back to sleep while lying on the fountain bricks.
Swim
  • 28m 52s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 21s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

It's hard to believe I was in transition this long. I ran up the boat ramp, found a wet suit stripper, got my bike and ran out of transition.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.89 mile/hr
Comments:

It rained during the entire bike ride. At times it was hard, at other times it was light. A couple of places had lots of standing water at the bottom of hills, but the water seemed to have minimal impact on the bike handling. Turns were done at lower speeds and during the hard periods of rain visibility was hard b/c of the pelting rain in my eyes.
What would you do differently?:

I felt good coming off the bike. My bike computer had bonked out about 1/2 way through the ride b/c of the rain. I had a good idea of my speed with the mile splits and I asked people around me a couple of times to get a guage of my speed. Somewhere towards the end of the bike the speed started working again. I thought I had rode conservatively, but the way my run turned out I must have baked myself.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

The transition area kind of snuck up on me. I had to quickly pull out of my shoes. I got stuck behind two guys pushing a tandem bike, but overall it was pretty uneventful transition.
Run
  • 2h 26m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

When I got off the bike I was thinking I had a chance at the 5 hour mark. HA-HA. I felt pretty good for the first 3 miles or so. Then I felt the first cramp grab hold of both of my innner quads. I ran through those but then my calves started cramping. After that it was run until the cramps locked me up, then I would walk until I thought I could start running again.
What would you do differently?:

Get in better bike and running shape.
Post race
Warm down:

Cramps galore, got a massage, then threw up. My wife helped me pack up my stuff. We drove back to my parents house and I went to sleep until my kids jumped on me.

Event comments:

The race was very well organized. My wave actually went off early. Ironman really knows how to put on a race. I'll be back next year to give it another go.

Last updated: 2010-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:52 | 2143 yards | 01m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra
Course: Point to point swim. I only wish I could swim this fast w/o a current pushing me down the river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No