GA Multisports
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 34s
Overall Rank = 229/270
Age Group = FEMALE 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Protein loaded days 5 & 6 before the race. Carb loaded days 1-4 before the race. Quit caffeine 4 days before. Tapered exercise. Rested as much as possible the day before. No alcohol the night before. Pre-race dinner: pasta w/a little marinara, plain baked potato, sherbet. Pre-race breakfast: clif bar sample, breakfast cookie sample, trail bar, coffee.
Event warmup:

Prepared my transition area. Quick swim.
Swim
  • 37m 57s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

We were sent in waves, 2 by 2 every 5 seconds. This spread us out so I didn't get the crap kicked out of my but I couldn't draft anyone. The day was already getting hot and that cap was making me so hot!!!! I navigated pretty well, but the bouys weren't aligned so I kept aligned with the furthest bouy I could see. Also, I couldn't sense my balance as well because of how murky the water was. Overall, my goal was to get through the swim relaxed and I did that.
What would you do differently?:

Just get faster and better form.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I decided to put my shoes on and then run with the bike across the mounting line instead of leaving them on the pedals. Most of the other racers weren't trying that and my skills just aren't up to par to attempt that. I definitely need to practice that more, especially using rubber bands, before I try it again in a race.

Continue to practice transition to pick up speed. I did about average on this transition, mostly because I was still a little wobbly from the swim and had trouble balancing on one foot while putting on my shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 35s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.37 km/hr
Comments:

They had a bottle exchange past the halfway point and I didn't realize how that would work. I thought I would get a regular water bottle that I could put in my cage, but it was a little drinking bottle. So, I had to stop, unscrew my bottle and dump the water in. Next time, I'll just bring my own extra bottle and avoid the slow down. Also, I lost focus towards the end and ran over a big rock. I'm lucky I didn't flat or crash!

Practice more hills & work on focus.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

I had the fastest T2 time of my age group. I even had a faster T2 than the race winner. Damn, I'm cool ;-)

Wrap my gel in soft batting to carry it with me. Since I've got the spare room in my top, I just carried my extra gel in there. I ended up getting pretty cut up during the run.
Run
  • 66m 8s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 37s  min/km
Comments:

I was actually pretty pleased with this run considering how much trouble I've had lately. By the time I started, the temp was hitting the 90s with high humidity & scorching hot sun. I had bear hug cramping during the initial part of my run, but I breathed through it and made it go away. I drank only water along the course so I wouldn't overdo the nutrition. I also took the time to stop and dunk water on my head and shorts at most of the aid stations. I was a bit nervous about getting overheated since I started getting chills and throbbing ears, but I didn't let it get too bad. I ended up taking a final gel at the 4 mile mark and that's what got me to the finish.

Work on my running speed and make a gel container for my bra.
Post race
Warm down:

Sprinted across the finish line, got my popsicle and ran into the water tent to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, overtraining, predominance of base building versus speed workouts.

Event comments:

GA Multisports puts on way better races than Tri Blue Sky -- more volunteers, better food, better schwag! I felt like I gave this race my all and am proud of my performance. I think I will stay at this race distance for awhile and work on improving my speed significantly before I pursue longer distances. I will also approach my next season more thoughtfully so I can shave 15-30 minutes off my race time next year!

Last updated: 2005-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:57 | 1500 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 0/270
Performance: Good
This works out to 2.3 mins per yard, which isn't bad for me.
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Out and around bouys
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:24:35 | 40 kms | 28.37 km/hr
My avg speed was ~18.5 mph!
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills in a loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:66:08 | 10 kms | 06m 37s  min/km
Course: Rolling hills, across a long unshaded bridge over a damn dam and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-07-26 12:10 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: West Point Lake Triathlon

2005-07-26 10:52 PM
in reply to: #207717

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: RE: West Point Lake Triathlon
Whitney, it was great to see you at the race.  I agree with you, the heat was dreadful, particularly when we had to cross over the dam.  It sounds like you conquered the elements, though.  Congrats on a great race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Point Lake Triathlon Rss Feed