General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help a Friend or ...... No, Don't Help a Friend. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Help a Friend or ...... No, Don't Help a Friend.
OptionResults
Give Him Some Tips But Thats All0 Votes - [0%]
Help Him To Learn To Swim Better.10 Votes - [11.49%]
Don't Teach Him Anything and Just Take His Money.2 Votes - [2.3%]
Smoke him this race, teach him a lesson, then help him become better after.8 Votes - [9.2%]
Help Him To Learn To Swim Better...... LATER!39 Votes - [44.83%]
GIVE HIM THE WRONG TIPS1 Votes - [1.15%]
Purposefully give him bad advice2 Votes - [2.3%]
Tell him to stay away from the bouys1 Votes - [1.15%]
trash talking/bet = no help1 Votes - [1.15%]
Just answer specific questions - no coaching5 Votes - [5.75%]
Help him learn to swim better in return for running tips/coaching5 Votes - [5.75%]
Hellp him only if he asks for it..5 Votes - [5.75%]
He's your friend goddamn it! Help him, no ifs or buts.8 Votes - [9.2%]

2005-07-26 9:30 PM
in reply to: #207912

User image

Veteran
New York City
Subject: RE: Help a Friend or ...... No, Don't Help a Friend.
Only help him if he asks for help. Plus, He's not going to dramatically improve his swimming in the next month. Also, what would be better trash talk than gee [insert name here] I helped you with [insert drill/technique here] and I STILL KICKED YOUR BUTT!!!!!! To sweeten the dig this should be done over drinks (that he is payig for) while eating buffalo wings (make sure there is plenty of buffalo wing stuff or blue cheese dressing dripping from you mouth as you say this).

This will probably have two outcomes. One, you will feel great and king of the trash talk heap and two, you are gonna have this guy on your ass for the rest of his life until he passes you or dies trying...gotta love competition...

Good luck, please keep us informed on the outcome..

2005-07-26 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Maybe it is a guy thing but my best friend and I have always had the attitude of "What is a friend for if you can't naill them to the wall occassionally?"

Kick his ass if he is really doing half your speed in the water it is unlikely he will be able to catch you over such a short distance.

Enjoy - but don't gloat just rub a little salt in now and then.
2005-07-26 10:15 PM

User image

Regular
Lethbridge, Alberta

Ok.. I'm speaking from the point of view of a boy"friend" to a girl"friend", but we did have a bet (I was smart and just bet who would be ahead after the bike)..  and I think that the good-natured ribbing and advice we shared made us both better by the race, and probably, more importantly, made me better than I might have been if I had tried to hold her back with bad information, etc...  after all, the better I get, the better it is, whether I win or lose my bet.  Last year, I watched her do a tri and her swim was pretty tough for her.  She is a former bike racer and runs circles around me... and so swimming is the only thing I could excell at... and in the first few swims, I would pretty much do my 1600 meters by the time she did her 500.  I gave her advice on her swimming as best as I could, and could see dramatic improvement while my running still sucked.

Race day...  I was barely leaving transition when she came running to our bikes out of the water, yet I picked up several minutes in the bike, mostly from her hints... and then sucked kinda bad in the run and she beat me by about 4 minutes or so.   The moral.  If I didn't help her swim, I might have beat her... except that I picked up 4 or 6 minutes in the bike thanks to her, so in the end, I was better for doing what I could to make her better.  In other words, a stronger training buddy makes you a stronger triathlete.  So, bad advice or holding your partner back, I think, has some pretty short-term potential for you

2005-07-26 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Oh, nice people....you are really making us cynical jerks look bad.
2005-07-26 10:28 PM

User image

Regular
Lethbridge, Alberta
Not nice.  Self-serving.  Making her better makes me better - otherwise, trash-talk away, let the air out of her tires in transition, body glide on her seat...hide her running shoes and tie knots in her laces... it's all about ME
2005-07-26 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Bah...I'm just jealous because I don't have any close friends that are turning into Tri-geeks with me!

2005-07-27 5:34 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-07-27 6:32 AM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Listen to you people, being all nice and sweet! Makes me sad, it really does. What happened to the days of TROUNCING someone?? THERE IS BOOZE ON THE LINE HERE!
2005-07-27 9:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis, MN

You haven't said whether he asked for help on the swim.  If he wants help, please help him.

No matter who's buying, those after race drinks won't taste very good if they have the aftertaste of a spoiled friendship.

Think about it.

2005-07-27 11:00 AM

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
He's starting to ask for help on the swim. I've already given him a few pointers on that. And trust me, there won't be a spoiled friendship out of this. We both know that whomever wins will get to gloat and trash talk till the next triathlon.

I don't plan on giving him bad advise, cause that's not fair. You know, telling him that the olympic course is faster and thats the way I would take.
2005-07-27 11:03 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
money is on the line. Destroy him.

2005-07-27 11:04 AM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Hmmm maybe you could send him a pair of those kids arm swimmies and a photo of you drinking a beer??? If he is the kind of friend my husband and I are he would laugh hysterically about it.

Edited by nliedel 2005-07-27 11:05 AM
2005-07-27 2:36 PM

Master
Colorado
Hello! Karma! The only reason I love to race is the people I get to meet and compete against. I won a race recently while my friend crashed behind me (after I passed her, mind you), but it was a hollow victory because she wasn't the competition she normally is. Also, when we began the biking season, she was complaining about not being able to breathe well while training and racing. Well, my husband has a perfect inhaler that really helps his lungs open up before exercise (he has asthma) and so I mentioned it to her and suggested she go see her doctor and request that particular inhaler. It worked for her, but now she kicks my butt in the races. I figure it was the right thing to do, trash talking aside, she knows and I know that she would have never been able to compete at the level she is now if I hadn't helped her out. It'll come back around, I'm sure of it.
2005-07-27 2:48 PM
in reply to: #209027

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
regimom - 2005-07-27 3:36 PM

Hello! Karma! The only reason I love to race is the people I get to meet and compete against. I won a race recently while my friend crashed behind me (after I passed her, mind you), but it was a hollow victory because she wasn't the competition she normally is. Also, when we began the biking season, she was complaining about not being able to breathe well while training and racing. Well, my husband has a perfect inhaler that really helps his lungs open up before exercise (he has asthma) and so I mentioned it to her and suggested she go see her doctor and request that particular inhaler. It worked for her, but now she kicks my butt in the races. I figure it was the right thing to do, trash talking aside, she knows and I know that she would have never been able to compete at the level she is now if I hadn't helped her out. It'll come back around, I'm sure of it.

See to me this is different. This is medical help and something you do for a friend. This is not the "Fun relationship, he digs at me and trash talks so now it is time to do some spanking" stuff that the OP was, as I see it (and I am frequently wrong) asking about. This is helping someone you care about who is having an issue. To my mind the OP was... well it is like when my 8 year old play Monopoly with me. He sits there and says "Today I am going to beat the tar out of you".. with a little snotty look on his face. I am under no obligation, at that point, to assist him. He has feathered his little nest and a sound whooping is in order. If he says, "Mom, I really suck at this, can you help me play better?" then he gets help (although I never let my boys win), and as much as he wants. Different strokes.
2005-07-27 3:50 PM

Veteran
Woodridge, IL (Chicago)
Exactly, it doesn't matter if it were a triathlon or a scrabble contest. We would still trash talk each other. Its just what we've always done. There will be no hard feelings after the race, only one empty wallet and it won't be mine. I might give him a few swimming tips between now and then but since he's only planning on swimming about 4 times before the race I don't think it will help.
2005-07-27 5:51 PM

Elite Veteran
Hmmm, does this remind anyone of OldAg and his BIL? Help your friend all you can. No, really. He will be completely exhausted after the 800M swim. No doubt that you'll win. The only question is by how much.

Do you know what 800M looks like to somebody who hasn't ever done an OW swim and only plans to swim 4 times before his race?

I'm all about free drinks and bragging rights, but just let him know that he can hang onto a boat to catch his breath if he needs to.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help a Friend or ...... No, Don't Help a Friend. Rss Feed  

of 2