General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Diamond - Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Black Diamond - Long Course Triathlon - DuathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Enumclaw, Washington
United States
Race Center NW
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 48m 19s
Overall Rank = 15/25
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Event warmup:

I checked the water on Friday and found it pretty effen cold. I checked it again shortly before the race and with alot of self doubt switched to the Duathlon.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

NA no Run #1
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

NA no T1
Bike
  • 3h 15m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.15 mile/hr
Comments:

The Bike Course was two loops of the Olympic Bike Course along with a short loop to the south of Nolte State Park. The bike course was on nicely paved country roads over some rolling hills. The first 1.4 mile out & back on 292nd Ave SE is a gentle grade up to the TA Point, then downhill back to the Kent-Kangley Rd. All major turns were monitored by the King County Sheriff who provided the right-of-way at all times.

I was working pretty hard on the first loop averaging over 18 mph. I slowed it down on the second loop with concerns on how much I would have left for the run. I averaged over 16 mph on the 2nd loop for an average of 17.15. There were two hills of any significance and very little wind. Other than a turnaround in the middle of the highway it was a pretty good ride.
What would you do differently?:

To pick up my speed and still having something left for the run I believe I need to work on finding a good cadence for me and be able to stay in the aero position for the duration of the bike split.
Transition 2
  • 04m 53s
Comments:

An aid station with water and electrolyte was available prior to the start of the run. Porta Potties were available as well. After making the transition, I exited the transition area running over a second set of timing mats and following the markings taking me to the half-marathon run course.

I didn’t do any of the things needed for a fast transition. I was more concerned with getting out on the run comfortably.

Run
  • 2h 21m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I improved on my run by 10 minutes in 6 weeks. My heart rate was high at the beginning of the run. I was running the level areas and walking on the inclines. Once my stomach settled down I was able to run for a good stretch without walking. Somewhere around the 4 mile mark I found my legs and was able to get off a long run without walking. I was never really able to pick off runners as I would have liked but I was very happy with my run split. I went with two pairs of socks for the run which may have made my feet feel better.

As always running more speed workouts and more 10 mile long runs would have been beneficial. I think a few more bricks would have helped also.
Post race
Warm down:

I turned my Timing Chip in to the finish line officials. After drinking some Gatorade I sat in the lake for about 10 minutes. I then had a Chicken Sandwich and some orange slices collected my bicycle and racing gear and headed back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Once again I feel like an Olympic trained athlete in a Long Course Race.

Event comments:

So this was the last triathlon of the year. I accomplished more or less what I set out to do. I learned that I do not like to swim in cold water triathlons and that running slow for endurance causes you to lose foot speed. With the tradeoff that I can recover quickly.

Black Diamond was a pretty race but would have to think about doing it as a tri vice duathlon because of the small lake with the cold water.

Last updated: 2010-09-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/25
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
03:15:55 | 56 miles | 17.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 19/25
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:21:31 | 13.1 miles | 10m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 17/25
Performance: Good
Course: Flat to gentle rolling hills, the looped course was on quiet county roads, with a finish on a wide dirt trail that circles the lake. There were hydration stations located approximately every other mile, as well as at the transition zone and the finish line. Porta Potties were located approximately every three miles. The run course was marked with white lime & large pink directional signs, and monitored by volunteers. Each mile was marked with mileage sign.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-29 3:57 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Black Diamond - Long Course Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Diamond - Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed