General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I buy this bike? HELP! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-09-30 3:26 PM

Subject: Should I buy this bike? HELP!
So I'm pretty new to the world of triathlon.  I'm just winding down my first season and I feel I have allready outgrown the beater bike I had bought (for less than $200) to test out how I felt about the sport.  Well, I LOVE triathlons, and love bike riding so it's time to get something that I won't mind spending some time on.  I'm looking for a bike that I would be comfortable spending time on, like doing an occasional century ride but is still agressive enough to meet my needs for racing...probably olympic distance and possibly a HIM next season.  My budget is very limited at the moment and I found a 2009 Specialized Allez Sport Double with all 105 components that I can afford. What I want to know is if this bike is built well for racing, or is it too "relaxed" to be a fast bike? I honestly don't have much experience with road bikes and could use some input from more experienced riders. Thanks.

2010-09-30 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3126637

User image

Expert
Leicester
Subject: RE: Should I buy this bike? HELP!
If it's ball park the right size, then the Allez is a solid bike to start from.

You may want to alter the contact points and get a fit to make it just right.

Many people ride what they can afford, not what they'd like and a roadie fit's the bill for most of the time.
2010-09-30 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
The most important think about a bike is fit.  Assuming the bike is the right size for you, you can't go wrong with a Shimano 105 groupset.  It's midrange, smooth-shifting, and you won't see anything better until/if you upgrade to a different bike. 

The Specialized is a road bike, but the fact that you're thinking about doing centuries is indicative that you should strongly consider a road bike instead of a tri-specific bike.  Are you getting a good deal?
2010-09-30 9:27 PM

User image

Fit is the most important factor.  Never buy a bike that doesn't fit you properly...unless you know for a fact you can resell it for the same price you paid.

Regarding the frame, and groupset.  I have a Specialized Allez elite road bike.  It's not the racing line of Specialized (the Tarmac is the racing frame), but it certainly can be used to race. 
2010-09-30 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
If the Allez fits you, you'll love it. I ride a 2009 Allez Sport Double with all 105's and it's been great.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I buy this bike? HELP! Rss Feed